Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
He Said"I know it's not illegal yet....
3740 26 2015-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wjrnys1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198432 ft
United States

S0 last Saturday I took a trip with my Phantom 3 up the west side of the Hudson River from the George Washington Bridge to Newburgh NY to film some sights.
I was at the State Line Lookout in Alpine New Jersey where I took off over the 500 foot cliff over looking the Hudson River. It was early morning and not many people around yet. I purposely made sure nobody was near me. After a few minutes of flying,maybe 10, an employee of the park came up to me and said "I know it's not illegal YET, but we have 2 nesting eagles and a hawk nest on the face of the cliff. I said politley that I would not fly near there and that I was almost done and would be leaving soon. He thanked me and as he was leaving he said he thought the quad was cool, asked a few questions, and left. I have the feeling that it wont be long before they ban flying from this location. This was the Palisades Interstate Park Commision. Will probably make a blanket ban in all state parks.  

dji pic.jpg
2015-9-23
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I have a falcon and a couple of hawks nests in my trees.

Monday as I came out of the house, a couple of doves that were on the ground eating seed from the feeder got spooked and took flight. Within seconds, the hawk hit one of the doves knocking a bunch of feathers out and trailed it until I lost sight.
Later in the morning, I assume the same hawk hit my Phantom, coming close to knocking it out of the air. I guess the propeller blades gave him a little shock as he high tailed it away.
2015-9-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-23 13:12
I have a falcon and a couple of hawks nests in my trees.

Monday as I came out of the house, a coup ...

Here's a good one for you guys. I stayed far enough away as to not disturb the Eagle but got close enough that you can see him in the nest. Pay attention and you'll see him sitting there. Make sure you change the settings to 720p.

Jerry
2015-9-23
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

A lot of birds just don't like our Phantoms.

Jerry
2015-9-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Interloper? It Must be your Avatar... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-23
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

hawks and eagels are territorial birds, if youre ANYWHERE in their sky they will make it a point to take you out
2015-9-23
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-9-23 21:46
hawks and eagels are territorial birds, if youre ANYWHERE in their sky they will make it a point to  ...

not necessarily. Many raptors (incl Eagles) are regularly mobbed by other birds like Crows and they don't fight back. I've seen it plenty of times.
2015-9-23
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

agrewe Posted at 2015-9-24 05:10
not necessarily. Many raptors (incl Eagles) are regularly mobbed by other birds like Crows and the ...

ive been into falconry for years and ive never seen or heard of this happening
2015-9-23
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

All Pennsylvania State Parks have banned them.
2015-9-24
Use props
Ncgo4
lvl.2

United States

Did they ban the Eagles or the Hawks?  :-)
2015-9-24
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-9-23 11:30
A lot of birds just don't like our Phantoms.

https://youtu.be/DOLCdnSdPnc

That second video about the "gang" they are not harassing your drone, those were cliff swallows and they are more than likely nesting on the bridge. They fly like that all the time, they are getting bugs in the air. Hawks and other birds are a different story....

Alan
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

apsphoto Posted at 2015-9-24 08:41
That second video about the "gang" they are not harassing your drone, those were cliff swallows an ...

Alan,

I know they're nesting under the bridge as I've flown here many times. Personally, I think it was a territorial display as there wasn't a single bird in the air until I got closer to the bridge. They almost hit the bird a few times so I retreated.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
Mudcon
lvl.3

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-9-24 08:51
Alan,

I know they're nesting under the bridge as I've flown here many times. Personally, I think  ...

They also do it to me all the time.  Not a bird in the sky then they do the same thing to my bird. If it get out real fast they also disappear....
2015-9-24
Use props
agrewe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-9-23 22:31

Really? Let me show you some: Hen Harrier mobbed by Lapwings, Buzzard mobbed by Crow and White Tailed Sea Eagle mobbed by Crows.
If you google it you'll find plenty more examples, the one above are just a handful of the ones I and others have watched on Islay.
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

We have an eagles nest less than a quarter mile from our home. One of their flight paths is directly over our home out over the lake. We see the little birds chase after the Eagles very often.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-9-24 14:30
We have an eagles nest less than a quarter mile from our home. One of their flight paths is directly ...

With as majestic as the American Bald Eagle is supposed to be, they're only a few steps up the food chain from flying rats. They scavenge for food. I guess Ben Franklin was correct when he wanted the turkey as the national bird.

Frequently, where I live, the Game wardens have to catch injured eagles hit buy cars that were feeding on road kill.

Not uncommon to see an eagle being chased by a few cat/mocking birds. I haven't seen any bird willing to chase off a falcon or hawk.
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
lvl.4
United States

We have many Hawks here in SD and I've seen them chased off by the little guys, don't see many Falcons so I couldn't say one way or another. We do have a few Osprey that frequent our lake in MN and I've never seen the little guys go after them. Don't see them as much as the Eagles and Hawks though.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
wjrnys1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198432 ft
United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-9-24 20:24
All Pennsylvania State Parks have banned them.

Another knee Jerk reaction by by people that dont understand the technology. Or if they do, just pandering to the ignorant constituents in their district. Unfortunately the people who enjoy the hobby and do it responsibly dont speak up as much as the A...holes.   
2015-9-27
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-9-27
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

2015-9-27
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

2015-9-27
Use props
flydmc
New

United States

I have hawks where I live here in central florida. If I try flying the hawks will start to circle my copter once I get up to 40 feet. The hawks have never tried to attack my P3P or I1 but I do not think the hawks are happy with the occasional quadcopter flying in their territory.
2015-9-27
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-9-27 21:57
What part of PA do you live in?

Near Pittsburgh.
And I stand corrected. Six allow them in designated areas only and you must call first.
PA State Parks rules and regulations drones and uas
2015-9-27
Use props
jjejfjf
Banned

United States

2015-9-28
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

jjejfjf Posted at 2015-9-28 15:49
I wasnt going to doubt what you said about the parks.I dont keep up with that because i have plent ...

No problem. I thought I had read they all had made it illegal. Glad they gave us a few but they are all too far away for me to visit. LOL
2015-9-28
Use props
Othan1
lvl.2

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-9-24 05:31

What a sheltered life.  Crows are regularly seen farking with Hawks in San Diego.  Crows are just plain a-holes.  

Funnier when a hawk gets in the chicken coop and the chickens are not...well...chicken.  Never seen a hawk more terrified.
2015-9-28
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

Othan1 Posted at 2015-9-29 10:46
What a sheltered life.  Crows are regularly seen farking with Hawks in San Diego.  Crows are just  ...

put a single crow vs a peregrine and watch what happens, crows are nothing outside of large groups
2015-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules