"FPV booster for vision +" App: Does it extend range?
4316 20 2014-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paras
lvl.2

Spain

I have read in some forums (and youtube videos such as this one   ) that this app for ios and android boosts the fpv range in the phantom, is this true?Dont want to post a link to the app in case its considered spam.

Has anyone tried this in their quads? Is it supported by DJI?

Thanks

2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I saw that too, BS I thought. I can't see how it can,

Anyone else ?
2014-12-14
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

i have downloaded this myself, havent tried it as yet.. but it does make your wifi into a secured one, also you can change the wifi channel from 1 through 11. i have gotten 800 feet with out this until i lost connection with the wifi..

so i will be testing this maybe tomorrow if the weather is ok.

and no it is not supported by dji..  
2014-12-14
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

whyley27@sky.co Posted at 2014-12-15 05:05
i have downloaded this myself, havent tried it as yet.. but it does make your wifi into a secured on ...

Let us know your test results.
2014-12-14
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

will do i'll get some video of it too
2014-12-14
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I suspect it does.  From talking to the developer of the app; they install a small piece of code that runs on the extender and in the Phantom and as such they can affect a number of parameters that are not easily exposed.  That said; you need to be comfortable with some vendor, not DJI installing code that isn't sanctioned onto your Phantom and how/what affect that may have on the flying.  In other words, it adds one more piece of code that could cause the Phantom to do something you don't expect (like fly away, stop responding to control, etc.).  I'm not saying their software does that but how it might interact with a future update on the Phantom, who knows.

Be informed, be careful.
2014-12-14
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

That video proves nothing, its just from the go-pro memory card, no on screen readout to show distance, no shot of the monitor to prove FPV was working.
I also wonder how many people who have suffered from the Phantom Wi-Fi unit failing have been using a booster. Maybe causing it to overheat and fail ?
Then there is the control issue, not much point boosting the Wi-Fi to 1500m if you lose control at 800m.
And finally, most countries require you to maintain unaided visual line of sight, so the stock range of the Phantom is good enough.

2014-12-14
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I did not know that, I won't be doing it. If its like any other hack on a tablet or phone its likely to break when you update your drone anyway.
Then again it might be the saviour of your flyaway.  We need the brave to try it as report back.
2014-12-14
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The FPV Wi-Fi booster app has no effect on the control side of the phantom, so no fear of a "flyway" as its only for the video.
But its still not something that I would try, as its not needed for me as I like to keep my eyes on my Phantom, and the standard range is perfectly adequate for that.
2014-12-14
Use props
iptvdude
New

United States

I purchased my phantom2 V+ on 12-02-14 & after all updates installed I took it out for my1st flight the following weekend & had a blast !
A few days later I tried ground station flight to loose FPV after 2nd waypoint on numerous occasions? First time I thought well there goes
14 hundred bucks but she came home evtime....whew!   I down loaded the FPV boost app last night & used today & never lost connection,
The app worked like a charm & well worth the $8.99 for iphone.
2014-12-19
Use props
herwarth
New

Netherlands

i have purchased this app using an vision+ v3 and an iphone 6.

it does not extend the range at all! total bullshit....
i have tested it using an open field! clear line of sight all the time.

luckily you can refund it.....
i also did an in-app purchase (fpv) and i could refund this as well!
2015-2-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

herwarth@heitma Posted at 2015-2-15 20:52
i have purchased this app using an vision+ v3 and an iphone 6.

it does not extend the range at all! ...

All the booster does is extend the range that you can see the camera.  It has no control on the extended range of the flying control of the Phantom.  You would need a better antenna to extend the range to control the craft.
2015-2-15
Use props
herwarth
New

Netherlands

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-15 23:28
All the booster does is extend the range that you can see the camera.  It has no control on the ex ...

ehm like i didn't know. let me rephrase. the app does not extend the fpv range at all...
2015-2-15
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

herwarth@heitma Posted at 2015-2-16 03:50
ehm like i didn't know. let me rephrase. the app does not extend the fpv range at all...

Maybe it doesn't work on yours
This is from my Phantom. The yellow trace with the asterisk is from the Phantom.

Without Boost:

Boosted:

2015-2-15
Use props
flyingduck88.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 715551 ft
United States

I use it and it has worked for me. I mostly fly in the same area and where I was losing video feed to my android device I don’t have any more drops. It has electively doubled my fpv range. Went for losing video around 350’/400’ to no problem at 875’/900’+ I’d say that’s an improvement but I guess your mileage may vary.
So, works for me!!
2015-2-15
Use props
bahamasboy.aol
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

It has worked for me.  Originally I was getting about 500ft FPV.. I can now go to around 900 full FPV!  For some reason 900ft is where I start getting the "Connection Lost" message on my TX,  but have yet to lose FPV/video feed at that point.  The app also has in app purchases where you can use their FPV with some great options not found in the DJI App.   Small google map so you can see exactly where you are in relation to YOU (the transmitter) and your home point,  a radar screen similar to the google map but smaller that shows orientation.  Another feature is a flight tracker.  It charts your flight over a google map.  I LOVE this because it also gives distance, speed, alt etc.  all while still recording to your SD card. You can replay your flight on your device in real time and check your telemetry..... OH... and there is an auto record start/stop with the motors.  I used to constantly forget to record.   I tried out HL, CL, and RTH while running it and had NO issues at all- functioned perfectly.
Just my experience with it!  I still fly with DJI app as well.
2015-2-15
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I am using this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... us/id954165732?mt=8
It lets you select your signal strength. I see a real difference in the video reception at long distances when set to 15 dBm (the default). I am not using its maximum power because I don't want anything to overheat. In another discussion they said that between 15 and 17 dBm should not cause any issues. I often forget to run this app before flight and when I do I really miss it. There is also a way to set this permanatly via Telnet but I prefer to set it manually each time.
2015-2-17
Use props
smatchet42.hotm
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-15 23:28
All the booster does is extend the range that you can see the camera.  It has no control on the ex ...

Has anyone replaced the antenna on the controller with a better one? I can't imagine needing more flying range, since the battery really is the limiting factor on how far away you can fly and still make it back.
2015-2-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smatchet42.hotm Posted at 2015-2-18 07:31
Has anyone replaced the antenna on the controller with a better one? I can't imagine needing more  ...

I'm sure the antenna has been changed and better range has resulted in that.  I can get 2400 feet range from home point with stock equipment so I don't look at extending anything.  That is plenty far enough for me.
2015-2-17
Use props
smatchet42.hotm
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-18 07:44
I'm sure the antenna has been changed and better range has resulted in that.  I can get 2400 feet  ...

I see your point. I've never dared to go that far. I'd never find the thing if it got lost in the desert, here.
2015-2-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

smatchet42.hotm Posted at 2015-2-18 11:14
I see your point. I've never dared to go that far. I'd never find the thing if it got lost in the  ...

I've only been that far 3 times,  had a spotter with me then,  most of the times, I'm no farther than 250 or 300 feet.
2015-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules