SOLVED: Phantom 2 Vision Plus Controller Camera Tilt wheel bad
13669 30 2014-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
viper3two
lvl.1

United States

Hi
I have a 7 day old P2V+. I have flown it twice. The camera worked fine twice, but on the 3rd flight, it started jerking when I move it down. I went into assistant software and reversed it, and it jerks going up. I can see the guage in assistant jumping all over the place, like it is a bad tilt wheel potentiometer.
I took it back to Horizon Hobby, which I just paid $1500 for the quad, and they offered NO HELP. Said that it was my issue that I would have to contact DJI.
What do I have to do to get this fixed? Horizon Hobby is not helping me at all, and I just bought it from them.
Thank you
Tony Sharp

Solved, see next to last reply.
2014-12-14
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

Mine did exactly the same thing. Gimbal tilt worked ok in the Vision app, but using the wheel on the transmitter caused it to jerk around. I fixed it by going back into the PhantomRC software and calibrating the tilt wheel same way it wanted me to calibrate the sticks...wiggle the sticks around ,then scroll the tilt wheel back and forth full range. That will cause the slider on channel X1 to move back and forth. Click calibrate and mine worked perfectly.
2014-12-14
Use props
viper3two
lvl.1

United States

Thanks MacCool. I will give that a try. I did a cali a few times before taking it back to HH but let me try it again doing it with the sticks, I only did it with the X1 channel. Will post back....
2014-12-14
Use props
viper3two
lvl.1

United States

Ugh, that did not help, but I sure appreciate your suggestion. I ran cali 3 times, using the sticks and also the tilt wheel. I can still see it flickering all over the place. Did that 3 times and still no change. Changed it to reverse and it does the same thing, and just for kicks I changed it to the normal controller instead of updated, that did not change anything either.
I wish I could get this fixed....and thank you again for the tip
2014-12-14
Use props
dmcleish
lvl.1
United States

If you scroll down and read the thread titled"New Remote Control" there is a method described on how to get the camera tilt functioning properly. It worked for me just a few hours ago although my problem was a bit different than yours by description. This fix does not involve the assistant software. It involves calibrating the transmitter itself.
2014-12-14
Use props
viper3two
lvl.1

United States

THANK YOU DMCLEISH!!!!!!! That worked!!!!!   I have spent all day calibrating, taking it back to Horizon Hobby etc.....thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help to both you guys.
Now back to flying!!
Tony
2014-12-14
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Bottom line:  Don't buy from Horizon Hobby.
2014-12-14
Use props
drklaus
lvl.1

Singapore

viper3two@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-15 09:41
THANK YOU DMCLEISH!!!!!!! That worked!!!!!   I have spent all day calibrating, taking it back to H ...

Had exactly the same problem. Recalibration of the transmitter, as described in the other thread, solved the problem also for me. I don't understand, why the RC software calibration on my PC with connected USB cable cannot do the same job, I tried several times without success. Thanks for the hint.
2014-12-15
Use props
viper3two
lvl.1

United States

Yes, it is really strange that the software won't calibrate it but that method will. At least it is working fine now. And I TOTALLY agree with "don't buy from Horizon Hobby". This guy was aweful....I am going to make a complaint to their corporate office about him. He told me that the camera was supposed to work like that because the tilt wheel was spring loaded, he kept saying that. And then when I showed him how slow it panned up vs. panning down, he said it was because it is meant for video, and panning on it was slow, it was not supposed to be fast. He then told me that he wouldn't do anything about it because it had been flown. 7 days old, 3 flights, $1500 bucks and he wasn't going to help. I just shook my head. The last insult came when I was leaving, I had pulled the battery out after showing him but did not turn it off before I pulled it out, and I did that by accident. He said "that is probably what is wrong with the camera".
The guys name is Denny Wren and he works in the Farragut, TN Hobby Town. He is getting reported.....
Anyways, sorry for the rant but had to get that off my shoulders. I am SO thankful for this forum and the help from you guys....Can't wait to fly some more this coming weekend.
Thanks again
Tony
2014-12-15
Use props
nickymono.gmail
New

United States

Thank you dudes so much!  That saved me.  So has anyone figured out if there is a way to set the gimbal to tilt-and-hold?  kind of like the old controller did?  The wheel feels better than the flimsy plastic tab... but the tab was far more functional if you wanted to hold a tilt angle.  THanks!
2015-1-29
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

viper3two@yahoo Posted at 2014-12-15 21:07
Yes, it is really strange that the software won't calibrate it but that method will. At least it is  ...

Horizon Hobby doesn't sound any worse the DJI. When I had that problem I contacted them and they told me I had to send the controller back for repair.
2015-1-29
Use props
coezoo
New

United States

dmcleish@pacbel Posted at 2014-12-15 09:30
If you scroll down and read the thread titled"New Remote Control" there is a method described on how ...

Can you please provide a link to the method?  Or paste the instructions here?  I cannot seem to find that thread.  There are so many threads on "new remote control".

I am having the same jerking issue.

Thanks!
Adam
2015-1-30
Use props
coezoo
New

United States

OK.  Found the thread.  Followed the instructions to the letter twice.  Here they are by the way:

I never got the 2 "Di" sounds in step 4.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

This is for the transmitter with the control wheel calibration
calibration.jpg
2015-1-30
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-31 00:33

FINALLY my gimbal wheel works correctly  THANKS
2015-1-30
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-1-31 09:26
FINALLY my gimbal wheel works correctly  THANKS

You're welcome,  
Happy Flying!
2015-1-30
Use props
jpag1980.gmail
New

United States

Had the same trouble with a jerk in the camera when using the wheel.  Did the stand alone cali and it works perfectly now.

What a great forum.
2015-1-31
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jpag1980.gmail Posted at 2015-2-1 04:18
Had the same trouble with a jerk in the camera when using the wheel.  Did the stand alone cali and ...

Happy Flying,  BTW, I got this page from Gil.  I thought the more people put this out there, the less problems they have.
2015-1-31
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

coezoo@mac.com Posted at 2015-1-30 23:45
OK.  Found the thread.  Followed the instructions to the letter twice.  Here they are by the way:

The correct one to use to calibrate a jerky camera is the one with the control wheel.
2015-1-31
Use props
Johnootz
lvl.2
United States

I calibrated mine using the RC program.  During the calibration process, after moving the sticks, I moved the wheel both ways until the indicator on the right moved back and forth several times.  Finished the calibration process (you'll notice the X1 indicator is now in the middle.  Mine now works great, no issues at all.  
2015-2-4
Use props
swfink
New

United States

Gerry - I was having some nasty issues with my camera & gimbal also.  Your post helped me to get it working correctly....Thank you!
2015-3-18
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

swfink@live.com Posted at 2015-3-19 09:32
Gerry - I was having some nasty issues with my camera & gimbal also.  Your post helped me to get i ...

Glad you got it working.  
Happy Flying!
2015-3-18
Use props
sdtag
lvl.2

United States

me too. I was in the same boat.
I bought my P2V+ last Saturday at the drone fair in Los Alamitos.
On my very first flight I noticed it wasn't right. It was ok going down but very jerky and twitchy going up.
I thought the pot was bad in the transmitter. The ap worked just fine.
After doing this calibration it works as it should, nice and smooth with variable speed.
THANK YOU
I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Why do we have do dig for info like this? Shouldn't something this basic be IN THE MANUAL???
I'm just sayin...
2015-3-18
Use props
peter
New

Netherlands

Hello, i have a problem with my tilt. when i use the gimal control lever from one side to the other, the camera will tilt down up and down again. also when i put the lever in a slightly tilted position the camera will not stay still. anybody know what to do? i tried all the calibration ways. with software and the one mentioned here.

please help

kind regards

Peter

2015-5-3
Use props
parfitm
lvl.1

Canada

peter@darkrainb Posted at 2015-5-3 19:15
Hello, i have a problem with my tilt. when i use the gimal control lever from one side to the other, ...

Hi, Peter,

I have the same problem. I cannot put the camera in the position in which I want it and then leave it there. If I let go of the wheel the camera goes right back to the 45 degree spot. And even though I have set the speed to as slow as possible, the wheel is still sensitive enough to change the angle of the tilt if I accidentally move my finger a small amount. Since the thumb is involved in throttle and yaw, it's not possible to completely keep my finger stationery, so the camera bobbles around. That essentially means that quality video photography is  not functionally possible.

I have tried all the solutions listed here. They have not worked.

However, since this thread has the word SOLVED in it, and is pretty old, I don't think anyone who might help us is likely to see it. But let's hope that someone does and that there actually is a solution.

2015-5-8
Use props
zygtar
New

United States

I had the same problem with jerking and I was so worry that I will not find the solution on time. In 2 day I'm leaving for 3 weeks motorcycle trip with bunch of friends and i got Vision 2 + for that reason. Transmission calibration without software did the trick. Thank you very much guys. This forum is loaded with quality info from other pilots.
2015-5-10
Use props
landing911
New

United States

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion, so here's some more details about what worked for me.
This is how I got my new V3.0 controller to work with my DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus quadcopter with the camera remaining in the same position after I let go of the wheel tilt control dial.  FYI, I'm on a MAC.

Here's the firmware I started with:

And the firmware after I upgraded everything and everything worked:

My new controller firmware. I didn't upgrade anything here.

For me, the controller worked to control the quadcopter right away after pairing with the button on the bottom of the QC, but the gimbal tilt wheel was harder to get working right.

The thing that fixed it for me was upgrading either the Main Controller or the P330CB drivers (it upgraded them at the same time).
***Be sure you choose the "Upgrade Version" for the transmitter version AFTER UPGRADING FIRMWARE. ***
Then turn off your qc, disconnect it from the computer, and power it back on.

I did the controller calibration in the PT2 program and also with the stand-alone instructions, and it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I did the in-program calibration last.
The program version did not seem to matter. The same upgrades and options were available to me in the 3.6 and 3.8 versions. I used the 3.8 version.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
2015-6-29
Use props
pedro_medina
New

United States

Thank you so much. I thought my controller or the gimbal was going nuts on me. This fixed it up solid.
2015-8-11
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Good going guys. That's the purpose of this forum. users helping users. If we stick together and discuss the issues we can find the solutions. Great going and  good to see you again Gary. Top of the line help from you.
2015-8-11
Use props
Kiwifisher
New

New Zealand

landing911@gmai Posted at 2015-6-30 04:46
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion, so here's some ...

Thanks a million landing911 as your post made my camera finally work the way I believe it should - ie, hold it's position when you release the tilt wheel.
It was the second line in bold that was necessary for me - to change the 'Transmitter version' from 'Basic version' to 'Upgrade version' under the 'RC' tab in the 'Basic' settings tab.
Thanks a million!!!
2015-8-15
Use props
BackyardGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1509836 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would like to express my gratitude to all people who contributed here. My camera tilt-wheel was also not working. After many hours, manually calibrating the RC was the solution. Thanks!
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules