Small crash what to do?
1566 18 2015-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

Had a little accident with a bush yesterday when it drifted into it when landing so wasnt a big fall but now its not happy.
Still flys fine just doesnt stop making a terrible noice similar to when doing an update.
All firmware is updated so thats not it but it now doesnt connect to the app very easily. Still gets gps though. Looks like the camera is off centre as well.
In Australia so who can help out?
2015-9-24
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

It could be beeping because the gimble got hurt in some way.  When you turn it on it should do the camera / gimble dance and dah dah dah dah sound as the camera raises to look forward.  Do you have a message that says gimble overload?  Look at the front of the gimble does it have the red light or green light on?  When updating it will be flashing red and green and be steady green when good to go.
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Stern,

You may want to try recalibrating the gimbal.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks guys have done a recalibration and an auto gimbal calibration. At least it has stopped screaming at me but the camera still has a red light and definately isnt centered.
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

turned off and back on now its screaming again.
2015-9-24
Use props
edhoprtma
New

Indonesia

sternblend Posted at 2015-9-25 09:46
turned off and back on now its screaming again.

looks like your gimbal is bend, you may need new gimbal replacement
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

sternblend Posted at 2015-9-24 21:22
Thanks guys have done a recalibration and an auto gimbal calibration. At least it has stopped scream ...

Stern,

Look's to me like your gimbal arm is bent. Take a photo of the gimbal arm from the back and post it.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

if i adjust the gimbal roll adjust to 10 its almost where it should be. Its like I have bent the arm to the camera but it doesnt look damaged and the fall wasnt on the camera or that bad.
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-9-25 10:51
Stern,

Look's to me like your gimbal arm is bent. Take a photo of the gimbal arm from the back an ...

Is the gimbal arm easy to replace or do I need to send it to someone?

2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

sternblend Posted at 2015-9-24 21:59
Is the gimbal arm easy to replace or do I need to send it to someone?

Stern,

That would be my best guess based on the picture. I'd be nice if you could center the camera and square the picture up to the bird. It's tough to tell for sure with nothing squared up. I have replaced a bent gimbal arm on my P2V+. Looks like the same setup. It was a pain in the ass for me. I'd probably do it again if I had to but I sure wouldn't look forward to it.

Jerry
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-9-25 11:22
Stern,

That would be my best guess based on the picture. I'd be nice if you could center the came ...

Thanks Jerry,
definately bent have tried adjusting the arm a little to see it I can get it level when adjusting the roll. Only place I can get  them here in Australia have to manufacture them themselves so cost $165 just for the arm.
Doesnt look like fun from ebay vids but just for an hrs labour is another $165 and then theres post to the eastern states which would be another $80-90 there and back. Looks like I have to give it a go.
2015-9-24
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

Can you take it apart and bend it back?
2015-9-24
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

BayArea99 Posted at 2015-9-25 12:49
Can you take it apart and bend it back?

Giving that a crack now doesnt seem to have much play in it but it must considering how much it bent with a little crash.
2015-9-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

sternblend Posted at 2015-9-24 23:03
Thanks Jerry,
definately bent have tried adjusting the arm a little to see it I can get it level wh ...

Stern,

Yeah, I had to pay $130 here in the states as well. You may want to pick up a new ribbon cable as well. I was able to reuse mine but you have to be very careful pulling it off. It's glued to the arm. It will come off but it's a slow and tedious process. Putting it back in place can be a bit of a bitch as well. Placement has to be perfect. I still have my old arm and was going to attempt to heat it up to see if I could straighten it out. I haven't taken the time to do so yet. If you want me to, I could probably give it a shot before you go about your repair. Let me know if you want me to give it a try. Good luck!

Jerry
2015-9-25
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

sternblend Posted at 2015-9-24 23:03
Thanks Jerry,
definately bent have tried adjusting the arm a little to see it I can get it level wh ...

Stern,

Maybe you should do a full calibration. Do the IMU calibration and the gimbal again. Recalibrate the RC. Fly the bird a bit and make sure there isn't any grater damage before you start your repairs. Use the camera and take some pics and videos. Just make sure everything else is solid before you tear into it. Just a thought.

Jerry
2015-9-25
Use props
draadkar
lvl.3

Nigeria

looking at mine and it seems to me if i take a firm grip i could bent it in all kind of directions. I would just give it a go and take my time to bend it back
2015-9-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wouldn't bend it to much, it may weaken an break entirely. Try putting it in a Vise and close the Vise down. Put something hard (wood) on each side of the arm. Also as mentioned above the electrical connections are very touchy as they are quite small.
Good luck
2015-9-25
Use props
sternblend
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks  all for replies, I had a go at bending the arm which worked I got it almost back center but damaged the ribbon cable in the process. So its now been sent in for repairs as Im really not good with delicate things. Insurance is covering it as its a hobby and covered in the home and content insurance.
2016-6-9
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Maybe it's about time for Dji to come up with their own gimbal protector, one that doesn't interfere with the sonars and will protect the phantom's precious and expensive underbelly.
2016-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules