Recommendation for starter quad for beginner before I buy the Inspire?
2005 7 2014-12-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirWolf1
lvl.1

United States

I must have the Inspire 1, but ... I've never flown a quad (or any RC) before. Can anyone recommend a good starter quad so that I can teach myself to fly it (and have a little fun) before I buy the Inspire?

Looking for:
- indoor flight
- ease-of-use
- quiet
- +/- camera for FPV flight (is this even possible with indoor starter quads?)

Thanks!
2014-12-14
Use props
skyml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4741906 ft
United States

There are a lot of fun choices... I have a little Hubsan x4 that I got for $35 on Amazon that I fly when I can't be flying my larger aircraft outside due to the weather or other conditions. However, I do suggest you learn to fly something similar to the inspire 1 first... you can find a used Phantom 1 or 2 for sale cheap and if cost is an issue to you then get one without a camera; it's better to learn to fly the craft before you start focusing on photography.  Later, you can add a Gopro or other camera so that you can start mixing flying and camera work.  You definitely need to do something like this before getting the Inspire 1.
2014-12-14
Use props
crazyzebras
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hello,
i'm 55 yrs old, i never fly RC bevore.
I start with the Vision plus and my wife to

I think the inspire is easier to fly then Vion+
The only think, yo must do step by step learning to fly.

It's mutch fun fly with a Multicopter.
A good idea ist to drive with a RC car
yo can learn to use the Reciver conterwise
when you drive with the front showing to you
then ist left>right and right is >left

sorry for my poor english

Regards from Africa
Kurt
2014-12-14
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

I have a Hubsan and a Syma X5.
Syma X5 was $50 and it has a camera (but no FPV). I can fly it indoor and outdoor.

I don't fly my Phantom in the house (Phantom is a bit too big for indoor flight, unless you're in a really big room).
2014-12-15
Use props
ultraturtle
lvl.2

United States

Eric Chen recommends the $90 Blade Nano QX, and I agree.  It's more stable (easier to fly) than the less expensive options, and pretty much indestructible.  
2014-12-16
Use props
AirWolf1
lvl.1

United States

Thanks, all.

I'll probably go with the Blade Nano QX unless... Is there a similar quad to the Nano that adds FPV flight? I've seen numerous quads that have cameras but it seems they just record images/video for later viewing rather than have FPV.
2014-12-16
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

If you look on eBay you will find allot of Vision 2 plus with no camera's on them, there practically giving them away, I seen one the other day go for $250.00, perfect for the guy who wants to learn flying with a GPS Drone, I do have to say tho my seven year nephew picked my vision controller and flew it around like he knew what he was doing. there pretty easy just make sure you fly safe and learn where no one can get hurt.
2014-12-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Phantom 2 with a GoPro can give you 4K pictures and 12 Mb stills and good learning curve on a cheaper machine.
2015-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules