12Next >
10670 42 2015-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luisporras916
lvl.1

United States

Can someone school me on a filter
If u had too keep 1 filter on your phantom which would it be polarizer or nd thanks
Also check my instagram 10_gear_hustla916 for my pictures
2015-9-24
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

ND would do more for you. Since there is no aperture and you want to control your shutter speed on a sunny day.
2015-9-24
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

As you grow in experience you will find that both are useful tools depending on the shot you are trying to capture. It isn't really a case of one or the other.

- Polarising filters cut out unwanted reflected light - they help you see under the water, through glass and give a better definition to clouds.

- Neutral Density filters (and they come in different strengths) are like sunglasses for the lens - they cut down all light to enable better control of shutter speed for video work.

But, as any photographer / videographer will confirm the use of 'filters' will come with experience. There are other filters as well out there... enjoy your development
2015-9-25
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

As Phuglie said, you'll eventually need them all.  If you wanted a starting point, I'd go with an ND16, but you will need to remove it in low light situations.  Get a complete kit.  They aren't that much $$.
2015-9-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-25 08:21
As you grow in experience you will find that both are useful tools depending on the shot you are try ...

Well stated. Also a Polarizer set at it's greatest angle to the light source is about 2-2.5 stops.That is equal to a 2-2.5 stop ND Filter. The only issue is that as you rotate the camera in flight the angle is constantly changing and one cannot adjust the filter. You will notice the difference on your tablet and Histogram.
2015-9-25
Use props
emptymind
lvl.2

United States

A polarizer will affect the image. Quality ND filters will not - they will only affect the exposure. Thats the big difference.
2015-9-25
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

For still photographs you do not need an ND filter.  Of any strength.
For video you will apparently need a selection of different strength, but I have never found a need for one, I don't suffer from the so called Jello effect that so many talk about, so in my experience an ND is not necessary for video either.
However the Polariser is a very different animal.  It can affect your image in many different ways, the main ones being to increase colour saturation, especially the blue of the sky, however it's effect is variable and normally when you use one on a ground based camera you will rotate the filter around the lens axis until you get the effect you want, but in the air you cannot rotate the filter around the lens axis, so you will have no real control over its effect.  Also the P3 lens is very wide angle and will cover 90 or more degrees from edge to edge.  The sky will be at it's bluest, if you have the filter correctly orientated, at 90 degrees to the sun, and as you move away from this angle it will become progressively lighter blue, this will just look strange and totally unnatural in your photo.
So use of the polariser will prove to be almost totally random unless you continually take off, take a photo, land, rotate the filter a few degrees, and then take off, snap the same scene from the same place, and then repeat, and repeat.

I am looking for a graduated ND filter, but have not been able to find one, yet.If anyone knows where these can be purchased please attach a link.

No filters used in this shot.

Ivor Linington Rydal Water 2 (1).jpg
2015-9-25
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Phuglie Posted at 2015-9-25 13:21
As you grow in experience you will find that both are useful tools depending on the shot you are try ...

Hi Phug,
Your remark about the polariser is valid, but the effect is not easily controlled when 400 ft up.
For example if  you wanted to see through the reflections in a lake, or to enhance the reflections you will have to fly to your ideal place to take the picture, examine the effect, if its not what you want, then land, rotate the filter, fly back to the place you took the first photo, then repeat until you have the effect you require.
Not really an effective way of using your 15 minutes of flight time, especially with a 12Mp camera.  
And a photo you cannot sell.
2015-9-26
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-25 14:49
For video you will apparently  ...

Nice !      
2015-9-26
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-25 09:15
Well stated. Also a Polarizer set at it's greatest angle to the light source is about 2-2.5 stops. ...

I just don't get the polarizing filter for a moving platform. It only really gives your sky and cloud definition when at right angles to the sun. So as you turn the aircraft the sky will become dark or light depending on your orientation. Definitely not good for a video and limited for photos.

I am a professional photographer. I stopped using circular polarizers on my DSLRS quite some time ago. I can take care of most sky definitions in Lightroom.

ND filters are all you really need if you are concerned about about wanting to shoot at a slower shutter speed. If getting that "cinematic effect" at 24fps is not important to you then the camera does a fairly decent job on adjusting in most cases.

The higher number ND filters seem to be most effective.  I never have a reason to use an ND 4. That said, I see far too many dark videos mis-using higher number ND filters just because someone thinks they need them.

YMMV.
2015-9-26
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-26 19:01
I just don't get the polarizing filter for a moving platform. It only really gives your sky and cl ...

Seems that the photographers amongst us agree that this obsession with filters is unfounded.
Polarizers are unpredictable and will constantly change their effect as you yaw in direction from the sun, and reflecting objects.
The NDs are simply not necessary except for producing video with what can only be described as a "cinematic" effect, and for cinematic read blurred frame.

Honestly customers, save your money, and try using good technique.
2015-9-26
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

It´s more fun with a gnd filter (graduated neutral density)
You can make a few takes with horizon, even during dusk or dawn
The fun is to find the best angles for the cam and play with this graduation...
So you have additional video material with a special exposure
2015-9-26
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

Showing my friend my P3A late afternoon yesterday. No filters.
south_stream-001.jpg

south_stream-002.jpg
2015-9-26
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

andreas_kreuz Posted at 2015-9-26 19:43
It´s more fun with a gnd filter (graduated neutral density)
You can make a few takes with horizon,  ...

Morgen Andreas,
Can you please give me a link to the supplier of an NDG filter.
I have searched but can find none.
2015-9-26
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-26 19:49

Nice shots,
I have found that there is quite a lot of information to be revealed when the .dng is edited, as you have shown, plenty of sky detail, and the trees are also well exposed.
2015-9-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

China

you'll need both of them depending on what are you shooting
2015-9-26
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-26 02:49
For video you will apparently  ...

You can find from aliexpress. I order NDG Filter 2-400 and now on the way. But quolity is unknown yet.
2015-9-27
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Look at Amazon.
Here is one.
2015-9-27
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

nabesarawak Posted at 2015-9-27 11:24
You can find from aliexpress. I order NDG Filter 2-400 and now on the way. But quolity is unknown  ...

Same here. Bought at amazone 10 days ago, since then the price went up 20$.
2015-9-27
Use props
andreas_kreuz
lvl.2

Germany

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-27 09:47
Morgen Andreas,
Can you please give me a link to the supplier of an NDG filter.
I have searched bu ...

http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJIPhantom3FiltersGraduated
2015-9-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-26 14:01
I just don't get the polarizing filter for a moving platform. It only really gives your sky and cl ...

True, I don't see a happy medium. Lightroom here we come.
2015-9-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-26 14:49

Spot on exposure aopisa.
2015-9-27
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-27 19:11
Spot on exposure aopisa.

Thank you. I just let the camera do the work. It is actually quite capable. Sometimes I may adjust the exposure, but generally leave it alone.

And then just little work in Lightroom.

However, my photos do not seem to be quite as sharp as yours. I shoot RAW. What are you doing that I am not?

Perhaps I am just used to the super sharpness of my D800 with 36MB files from a 35mm sensor....
2015-9-27
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

capbat Posted at 2015-9-28 03:19
Same here. Bought at amazone 10 days ago, since then the price went up 20$.

Aliexpress @ US$ 21.24 for NDG 2-400.. If you choice China Post Registered Air Mail, Free postage, but 3~4 weeks, and may be more days, cause China are long holidays now.... If you choice EMS or DHL, 7~10days, but very expensive postal charge.....
2015-9-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-27 19:22
Thank you. I just let the camera do the work. It is actually quite capable. Sometimes I may adjust ...

Two entirely different Cameras my friend. I use Nikon Cameras and Glass. My main Camera is a Nikon D3x. Camera and Lens $10K. I don't expect My Phantom 3 to have the same results. Also the Depth of Field is set on the Phantom Camera. It is shooting wide open. The results, depending what you are shooting can be a bit fuzzy especially if you are up close to your subject.
2015-9-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-9-28 09:29
Two entirely different Cameras my friend. I use Nikon Cameras and Glass. My main Camera is a Nikon ...

Oh, you fooled me. I thought that shot (because of the high angle) was from your Phantom!

I know that the Phantom shoots at wide open 2.8. Since it is such a wide angle lens and shooting almost always near infinity in most conditions most things will be in focus and within the depth of field. With such a small sensor I wasn't expecting pinpoint sharpness, but thought you had some kind of magic process to make the photo look like it came from a DSLR!

2015-9-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-28 09:32
Oh, you fooled me. I thought that shot (because of the high angle) was from your Phantom!

I know t ...

I was a bit confused. The DJI Camera does shoot wide open and focused at infinity. So, close ups can be a little rough. I find the range to be more than satisfactory for my shooting.
2015-9-28
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

capbat Posted at 2015-9-27 20:06
Look at Amazon.
Here is one.

Thanks for the link, but these are not graduated ND filters.
2015-9-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-28 12:45
Thanks for the link, but these are not graduated ND filters.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
r
2015-9-28
Use props
luisporras916
lvl.1

United States

aopisa Posted at 2015-9-26 11:01

Yea i just bought nd6 and didn't see much difference
2015-9-29
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-27 08:59
you'll need both of them depending on what are you shooting

Please explain why.
2015-9-30
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

WHATS EVERY ONES TAKE ON THE COMBI FILTERS ND/POLORISED
2015-9-30
Use props
AndreDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 952625 ft
Australia

nabesarawak Posted at 2015-9-27 23:24
You can find from aliexpress. I order NDG Filter 2-400 and now on the way. But quolity is unknown  ...

Have you tested ? please share your results.

2016-4-5
Use props
djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95807 ft
Canada

pi-inthesky@hot Posted at 2015-9-30 09:46
WHATS EVERY ONES TAKE ON THE COMBI FILTERS ND/POLORISED

I also have this question....I take photos into the water vertically and angled and need to penetrate through the surface.  With the ND combos reduce the penetration?
Are there negatives of using the ND filters..say lower power at ND8?
Thanks
2018-6-5
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml Posted at 2018-6-5 12:53
I also have this question....I take photos into the water vertically and angled and need to penetrate through the surface.  With the ND combos reduce the penetration?
Are there negatives of using the ND filters..say lower power at ND8?
Thanks

Sounds like you would need a PL filter, as discussed in this very old thread it can be difficult to adjust right.
If you use ND filters you lower the shutter speed witch could result in blurry/shaken images or used creative to soften out waves and movement in the water, the higher ND number the lower shutter speed you get.
Also it all differ if you're shooting stills or movies.

It is a very bad habit to wake up threads as old as this one, better to locate a newer one or start from scratch telling our complete needs and what equipment you have.
2018-6-5
Use props
djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml
lvl.1
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-5 23:05
Sounds like you would need a PL filter, as discussed in this very old thread it can be difficult to adjust right.
If you use ND filters you lower the shutter speed witch could result in blurry/shaken images or used creative to soften out waves and movement in the water, the higher ND number the lower shutter speed you get.
Also it all differ if you're shooting stills or movies.

Thanks....I take it from this that the nd filter won't negatively affect the Polarizing 'function' of the lens.

Why is it a bad idea to leave these old threads alone and start a new one instead.  I thought it would be better to keep the info on the same topic together to make it easier to find...?

Still learning..
Cheers
GS
2018-6-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml Posted at 2018-6-6 17:45
Thanks....I take it from this that the nd filter won't negatively affect the Polarizing 'function' of the lens.

Why is it a bad idea to leave these old threads alone and start a new one instead.  I thought it would be better to keep the info on the same topic together to make it easier to find...?

You say you are shooting photos, presumably this means stills?
Why do you want to use the ND filter in the first place?
Do you know what the ND filter does?
It blocks light.
An ND8 filter will cut 87.5% of the light which will mean you need to use a much slower shutter speed to get correct exposure.
Unless there is a particular reason to want to use a slow shutter speed, you shouldn't be using an ND filter at all.
2018-6-6
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_KhkTqTwsKrml Posted at 2018-6-6 17:45

Why is it a bad idea to leave these old threads alone and start a new one instead.  I thought it would be better to keep the info on the same topic together to make it easier to find...?

A variable ND filter and a polarizer filter can not be used together, but a standard fixed ND filter can.

A polarising filter is also an ND2 filter since it filters out half the light.

A polarising filter will not remove any reflections off water when looking straight down, it will remove reflections that are reflected at around 45 degrees and the effectiveness rapidly reduces either side of 45 degrees.  For this to work the filter needs to be mounted so that the polariser is vertical (black image if you put polarised sunglasses in front of the lens and rotate them 90 degrees).
2018-6-7
Use props
Fleamavic
lvl.1
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-6-6 18:07
You say you are shooting photos, presumably this means stills?
Why do you want to use the ND filter in the first place?

I often run from forest to very bright glare near open ocean water and spray.  I find that a lot of photos get overexposed unless i am continually changing settings...perhaps that is inevitable.
I do mostly shoot stills for this mapping project, but also record overviews on video.  We are also trying to figure out if we can see amphibian egg masses in the water while moving along a shallow shore and the light is constantly changing with vegetation types, sky cover etc.

Life is never so simple....sighhh
Thanks
2018-6-7
Use props
Fleamavic
lvl.1
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-6-7 00:14
A variable ND filter and a polarizer filter can not be used together, but a standard fixed ND filter can.

A polarising filter is also an ND2 filter since it filters out half the light.

Hmmm. When I look through my supposedly polarized sunglasses in any orientation I don't see a difference...did I get ripped off or am  I missing something fundamental here? Do you only see it for some reason when you are looking through a lens...?

<"A polarising filter is also an ND2 filter since it filters out half the light.">   
                Presumably this would only apply if the orientation is correct....?

The farther this goes, the more I realize I don't know!

Thanks for all this
FM
2018-6-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules