Long take video problems!
633 2 2015-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dlmedia
lvl.1

Germany

I posted this inside of another thread already, but I believe it is a real problem
and deserves its own topic:

I figured out that still ( with the newest firmware ) the video files alway get split at around 4GB size, regardless of the file system used on the card.
The internal formatting uses exFat not FAT32, but this also happens when formatting the SD card on my computer.

But the splitting itself is not the only problem here:

I discovered this because I'm not getting to fly a lot these days ( mainly because of bad weather ) and when I'm not using the Inspire for a few days I discharge all my batteries to around 50%.
This takes a few hours, so sometimes I turn on recording because it drains the batteries a bit quicker.

So I was letting it record in 1080P60 mode yesterday and suddenly ( at about 28minutes ) the recording stopped by itself. Or so it seemed!
When I pressed the record button again the recording started again but the time code was still somewhere above 28minutes.
Now when I tried to stop the video again it just didn't work. The blue circle around the record button in the app kept spinning endlessly.

My only way to stop this was to shut down the aircraft forcing a hard break in midst of recording. So after that my sd card didn't get recognised by my mac anymore
and I had to re-format it in the Inspire...

After this obvious BUG I ran a few tests with different recording times and formats and there seems to be a HUGE overall problem when recording long takes
which span over multiple files. Some of the files I recorded ( even when this break-up problem didn't occur ) weren't  readable and in one occasion there was even a short take missing completely!

The most unstable video mode where this happens a lot! seems to be the 1080p60 mode, allthough I didn't have time to test out all modes yet. Also recording to an MP4 container rather than MOV seems to be more stable but still there is no guarantee here.

4K is relatively stable, but here also I had the unplayable 2nd or 3rd file problem when recording a long take.

What I absolutely don't understand is why the video files have to be split in the first place when using exFat.

It would be vital that DJI Support explains what is going on here and how to avoid these really intolerable problems
until they are fixed !
2015-9-25
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I guess they declare the X3 as photocamera and for crazy customs reasons video recording time is limited to avoid the customs duty for videocameras. Normally as there is no battery for flying 28 minutes no one should even realize this. Say thank you to Frau Merkel, Herr Gabriel and all the others who just rip you off with everything.

However even with 15min recordings I never hat the problem of unreadable files. I only use 4K. 1080p with such a small chip the camera has - forget it, looks like 5 years ago compactcameras.
2015-9-25
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

camera might be getting hot and causing issues, like machoman said the max flight time youre ever going to get is around 15 minutes and the camera will stay cooler due to air movement, 28 minutes sitting still might simply be overheating it as it wasnt designed to record for that long.  I have no idea if hes right about the photocamera custom reason limiting the max possible recording time, ive never heard of such a thing and it sounds like BS to me but it could possibly be true.  It would be faster to drain your batteries by actually flying, or if outside weather prevents it just let it sit on your kitchen table or floor with the motors running at an idle, or just dont worry about it, they will self discharge when whatever timer you have set in the app, choices from 2-10 days i think are the self discharge timer triggers, the self discharge process takes 2 days to go from 100% to 60% once it starts.
2015-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules