Tutorial for Banggood gimbal on P2?
2171 7 2015-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
duncan.lamb
lvl.1

France

Hello,
I just received a (cheap) gimbal from Banggood and was looking for information on how to wire it to a Phantom 2. The elegant solution would be to use the existing 8-pin connector for the Zenmuse H2-3D gimbal which is already there, but I can't find any information on this, so I guess it either can't be done or that no-one has tried it? Hard to believe if the latter is the case. If you cannot use the exsiting connector, then I guess you have to find a way of getting power to the gimbal and wiring up the tilt function so that you can use the wheel on the top RH of the controller?
Be grateful for any first-hand experience of fitting this gimbal!

2015-9-25
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Yes you will need to open the quad up to get power and the gimbal should have come with the needed cabling to connect to the F1 socket on the Naza unit
2015-9-26
Use props
duncan.lamb
lvl.1

France

Ok, would've liked to get power from the Zenmuse connector somehow (I guess it has power on there), but can't find any info on the pinouts on the connector - surprised that no-one else has tried to do this.
2015-9-29
Use props
duncan.lamb
lvl.1

France

Just had another look at my P2 v2 - in fact beside the Zenmuse grey ribbon cable & connector which is dangling from the underside there is an additional ribbon cable with no connector, with yellow/orange/brown wires - anyone any idea what this is for and what the signals on the wires are? I guess I'll have a better idea once I've opened up the P2 to wire in the battery connectors for my Banggood gimbal, but perhaps someone has already come across this ribbon cable and knows what purpose it serves....

Regards
2015-10-5
Use props
duncan.lamb
lvl.1

France

Just to update - got some battery connectors from Aliexpress and wired up the gimbal connections. Had to open up the P2 to access the connectors - soldered the two wires on the battery connector plug directly to the +/- terminals on the P2 main board and fed the connector out through one of the holes beside the feet so that you can plug the gimbal power cord into it - pretty straightforward. Then connected a wire to the F2 port of the Naza module - 'signal' connector at the bottom of the far left row of pins on the module - and connected it to the 'signal' connector on the top right of the row of pins on the gimbal ('A0' signal). According to what I've seen on You Tube, this is all that is required to enable pitch control with the P2 controller (). It's not clear whether I have to change something on my Naza controller or download and use configuration software for the gimbal to calibrate it (for example) for it to work correctly though. I also took advantage of having the P2 opened to remove the 'Camera' and 'Naza' cables which dangle form the underside of the P2, since they simply plug into the main board and so can be easily removed if unused (and plugged in again later if need be).
In any case, on first power up the gimbal vibrates and makes buzzing noises but never seems to settle down - I can move the phantom around and it will compensate, but it never quietens down and becomes completely stable. When I tilt the P2 way back, the camera will 'bottom out' and then remains there, and will not return to a horizontal position. The pitch control certainly had an effect on the gimbal, but in view of the other problems I ended up disconnecting it and concentrating on just trying to get the gimbal to initialise correctly and stay still (unsuccessfully)! Pity there's no info out there on how to do this all easily.
So not too encouraging so far - I have sent a message to the seller on Aliexpress to see what they have to say, and I also see a user comment on the Banggod site with someone having a similar problem (looks like the same gimbal as the one on Aliexpress) - unfortunately the response isn't posted.
To be continued...
2015-10-18
Use props
duncan.lamb
lvl.1

France

Just a quick update - got my gimbal mounted and wired to my P2, using a single wire from the Naza controller - F2 port of the Naza module - 'signal' connector at the bottom of the far left row of pins on the module - and connected it to the 'signal' connector on the top right of the row of pins on the gimbal ('A0' signal), and bought some JST connectors from Aliexpress for a few Euros which I used to provide power to the gimbal by soldering a connector directly to the battery connectors on the mainboard (that way I can unplug the gimbal when I don't want to use it). So pretty straightforward really. Then had to ask the seller on Aliexpress a couple of questions - they provided a profile for the gimbal & SJ4000 camera (I have this version, not the GoPro one) and the GUI software to control the gimbal. Downloaded the profile to the gimbal using the application. Gimbal is stable and seems to work well.

There are some tweaks I wanted to do, such as have the 'default' position with the camera tilted slightly forward and not horizontal and limit the amplitude of the 'pitch' control wheel on the P2 RC (the gimbal 'bottoms out' when pointing downwards, since the cable connector hits off the alloy arm and the camera 'bounces'). Read through the GUI documentation, pretty complex stuff, can't pretend to have understood much of it! So through trial & error and by setting the min/max pitch angles to (-30, +50), I have been able to obtain something pretty close to what I'm looking for, but not quite perfect yet. When I turn on the P2, the gimbal settles to a position tilted slightly forward as I wanted (don't know how I managed that, but there you go...!), and when I push the pitch wheel on my RC upwards gently the camera starts tilting forward and when I release it the camera returns to its 'rest' position. However, if I push past its maximum tilt downwards (which I can see, since the P2 is sitting in front of me) to the 'stop' on the rotating knob, the camera rotates upwards to a horizontal position - it also does this if I push the knob too fast and hit the 'stop' position. So this is all fine & well when I can see the camera & P2 sitting in front of me now, but since I have no live video feed installed, once the P2 is in the sky it will be impossible to adjust what I'm doing to avoid going past the maximum downward tilt, I'll just have to guess. So ideally I'd like to be able to configure the gimbal so that the 'stop' point on the control wheel corresponds to its maximum downward tilt so that there's no guessing involved, but haven't been able to find out how to do that yet. :-(

So not far off what I'm looking for, and I guess for 40€ I shouldn't really complain for my first excursion into gimbal usage :-)
2015-10-25
Use props
shanegt
New

United Kingdom

Did you fix this? It's all to do with settings in the firmware. Message me for help
2016-1-9
Use props
MarkPDD
New

Ukraine

There are many options as gimbal in useability for your drone It's always up to you!

2020-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules