3637 41 2015-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

***THIS ALL REFERS TO HOBBIEST OPERATION, NOT ADDRESSING COMMERCIAL HERE***

My recent California video, shot in collaboration with PureSQNut and Skyrider, attracted a few comments about flight regulations and guidelines.

I think it's important that at least we on the forum can agree on them, since we're supposed to all be on the same side.

One problem I encounter is the information always seems to be splintered.  The FAA website will have a page with 6 simple guidelines, but then you find a small link that goes to 300 sub-laws that become conveluted and sometimes contradictory.

Here are my interpretations and I would be interested in yours -

NO FLY ZONE - Pretty clear, stay away from the center and below the altitude of each band moving away.

DON'T FLY OVER CROWDS - Again simple, if there's a group of people, don't fly near them.   I do interpret this as a large gathering.  If there are small groups or individuals I'm careful to stay at least 50ft away from them.

STADIUMS - Easy, stay away.

SUFFICIENT DISTANCE FROM POPULATED AREAS - Okay, this is where it gets ambiguous.   This isn't even in the main guidelines, it is only mentioned when talking about stadiums etc.   Some interpret this as ANY CITY, some equate this with the CROWD rule so only applies if there is a large group.   In our video we flew over the SF bay and just broached the city, not flying over any groups or specific property.  The only mention I see of property is in the KNOW BEFORE YOU FLY guidelines which mention sensitive property like power stations or vulnerable property, which I assume means historical sites or fragile areas.

I have posted the easy to find guildelines below.   Seems like if a rule is critical it needs to be here so why bury important stuff ten levels deep then abuse people who didn't find it?

Anyway, what are your interpretations and how can we all get to a common understanding?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport or control tower before flying within five miles of an airport.
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
For more safety information, please download the Know Before You Fly brochure here.

2015-9-26
Use props
snathla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

@JimHare I think you've captured them correctly, don't see what issues have been brought up. For hobbiest like us who live in larger cities we should be allowed to fly as long as we take the extra precaution to ensure we're careful and to JUST not be stupid and make it difficult for others. I see a few cases where people were just not careful and tried to push the limit and got in trouble making it difficult for us who are careful and want to enjoy the hobby.
2015-9-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-27 10:44
@JimHare I think you've captured them correctly, don't see what issues have been brought up. For hob ...

I agree completely.  You see videos in crowded areas of people taking off next to pedestrians and cars within 6 feet and it's appalling.  

2015-9-26
Use props
nofearmx
lvl.3

United States

Jim,

The problem (or as i see it anyway) is that in fact the FAA is not permitted to write law in the US. They can give guidelines, it is up to the states implement them as each state see it fit.
IE in Nevada we have a new chapter coming on the 1st of october. The sad thing is that most of these are followed by the reasonable and responsible pilot. Like any sport risks do exist, but some people think that personal freedom is more important sometimes (i.e. the NFZ, 400 feet etc...) But this sadly is true with anything: a brand new Audi A6 goes quite a bit faster than 80mph, by law you can't, people still get caught going 140mph.
I agree that the guidelines are a little confusing sometimes and I truly think it's mainly because over here any way the FAA is actually trying to find a solution because they know this hobby is not going away anytime soon. Now will it calm down, will mainstream media stop... maybe if people stop being irresponsible.
I think people should read the guidelines and understand why they exist. We sadly enough live in a world where yes terrorist do exist, irresponsible and clueless people as well; so yes you probably shouldn't try flying near a base, a bridge, heavily populated area, a highway. Is it reasonable... probably not. Same goes with taking your shoes off before boarding a plane. lol.
I know my airport manager was thrilled and very helpful when i contacted him and we spoke and i filed a NOTAM for a wedding. This is all still new and hopefully will smooth out and common sense might just be more common...
2015-9-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

nofearmx@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-27 14:03
Jim,

The problem (or as i see it anyway) is that in fact the FAA is not permitted to write law in t ...

Well said!
2015-9-27
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Bulgaria

I tend to see things a little different; its not always about the law, right or wrong, correct, non-correct, good or bad.  Even if we should or should not; its more about those who abuse their elected right to create these things, ( who are they) what if any have hidden agendas behind them. Often, its easy to blur the line between genuine common sense, safety, and being considerate!  Its like so many things in this world, its how its sold to the masses, and the perception they ( the powers that be) create with the populations mind on a subject or about anything. THATS, what I find disturbing. Like the security issues in vogue at the moment, 90% of it is contrived and or exaggerated, to aid in their hidden agenda. I don't trust governments any further than I can throw them. They moving  towards a complete globalist authoritarian, orwellian system. As said, whilst I see the need for some sort of basic guidelines and responsible behaviour by users of these Drones, I do believe a possible threat has emerged for them, regards their capabilities, they are concerned we could see things they would not be happy about as it may work to undermine or expose certain shady activities at some point, by the citizen, investigator or just some innocent guy buzzing around having fun.  I call this the age of paranoia, and they have  fostered this paranoia to justify yet more paranoia. We have heard of  this mantra (for your own safety ) line; Life is not and never has been about total protection and safety , its a vehicle used to rob freedoms and superficially its sounds logical, but it has again, hidden ramifications and consequences which are not beneficial to society .  There are those who I call sheep, who are unquestioning, the overlord say jump, they answer by saying (yes sir how high). These are the ones, and many there are, who use peer pressure, insults, and bullying to attempt to force those if us who basically question anything which appears to examine the given party line. As the saying goes, freedom without the ability to question = no freedom.                     
2015-9-27
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-28 15:06
I tend to see things a little different; its not always about the law, right or wrong, correct, non ...

I think that's a bit over the top Alien Tech.   I for one am fine for regulations being in place.  We shouldn't have drones falling out of the sky onto babies.

I don't see anything in the regulations in the US or Australia that I don't agree with and am happy to follow them.

These are the only regulations I'm referring to.   
2015-9-27
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-28 10:38
I think that's a bit over the top Alien Tech.   I for one am fine for regulations being in place.  ...

which bit was over the top ?  was it the rules, or the shadow gov type part  ?   I just read a bit in the UK paper today about them forcing everyone with a drone to enter a register and have their drone further chipped for the UK gov to monitor and follow the activities of them.  They are using ( arguably) a small number of (false flag events) (possibly) for flying near airports and possible creating havoc with normal aircraft as justification for these measures. Of course, one could ask, everything the new type DJI drone do is already monitored and recorded anyway, so why double up ?  I don't think for a second, they don't know about this fact. Which leads me to argue "is there a hidden agenda, an ulterior motive for this ? "   I don't know, but I am basing my distrust, of them on incalculable amounts of evidence they are not honest  people, they lie at every turn with almost everything they are involved in is little more than a front for something else. Would you trust a known compulsive thief to look after your sweet shop ?   I won't.
I am not against agreements, rules, and reasonable behaviors. But it's them who are showing their hypercritical hand in this. Its like the 3 or 4 so called individuals who have flown over commercial airport ( they claim),  If true, why regulate and punish everyone with punitive restrictions ? WHy not punish those who, if true, have done this; ban them from having drones, pay a big fine, and give um 6 months in prison, that's what I would do, send a message to everyone else.  
Its the same as saying some crazy has driven his 160mph car down the motorway, and caused a massive accident, and killed 10 people. DO they then govern every car down to 70mph ? NO, then ask yourself this, why do it with drones ?  Its the same logic. It stinks to me as being a vehicle for something else!  thats where I am coming from.  Its reasonable points, people need to think about!   
2015-9-28
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

So, are we allowed to fly at night??
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-28 19:12
which bit was over the top ?  was it the rules, or the shadow gov type part  ?   I just read a bit  ...

I think if drone use is going to increase tenfold over the next year then yes, it's time for governments to have clear policies in place before it gets out of control.

I also believe what we do is basically a hobby that potentially poses a danger to wider society, which immediately puts it in a different category to automobile usage.

I disagree on your comment that tracking and monitoring already exists.  It's incredibly easy to defeat this, which is designed to benefit the owner, not make them take responsibility.   

I absolutely want strong regulations in place, with accountability and restriction.    I love my drone but would not want to live in a world where there are buzzing around everywhere and people feel like they have an inborn right to do whatever they want.

I'm not even sure where we disagree on this as you say you want this too.  
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

cravac Posted at 2015-9-28 22:31

I haven't found a guideline that says otherwise.   Anyone?

In Australia you definitely CAN NOT fly at night, it's like the third guideline - ABSOLUTELY NO NIGHT FLYING.   Pretty clear so I don't do it in Australia.
2015-9-28
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-28 13:28
I haven't found a guideline that says otherwise.   Anyone?

In Australia you definitely CAN NOT fl ...

Unfortunately if the recommendations that the FAA have initially listed for UAV's the States will be moving in that direction of no night flying as well. SO I have a few videos I have to get busy making before that happens.

But for now it IS legal in the states given you use your head and fly responsibly like we did that night.  
2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-9-29 09:28
Unfortunately if the recommendations that the FAA have initially listed for UAV's the States will  ...

Well said!
2015-9-28
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-28 23:27
I think if drone use is going to increase tenfold over the next year then yes, it's time for gover ...

Sorry, I thought this all about public safety, not categories, public safety as you say is public safety. makes no odds if your driving a car, flying a drone or piloting a space craft. its still public safety . and somehow, I doubt if the numbers of drones at anytime, in the foreseeable future will ever mach those of the automobile. SO for me that response is a misnomer  !
But I did note your lack of response regards the trustworthiness and hypocrisy of government institutions who will ultimately create those rules, and any possible hidden agendas they may have.
Geo-engineering ( different category)  but still public safety, its highly toxic  and is causing harm and death to the entire ecosystem and humanity, being carried out by the same interconnected governmental  organisations who will legislate on these drone issues. its crying with one eye and aiming a gun at us with the other.  how can anyone, listen, take note and trust boards, groups, and institutions to act in our/everyone's best interest when they are behaving in such a genocidal fashion. Again, its back to letting the sweet shop thief look after your sweet shop. You would be MAD to do so. Is see a very similar/or the same parallel.  They claim to be concerned that a drone my drop out the sky onto someone!  So can a 747, an A300, with far more devastating effects, metros fall all the time from the sky around 80,000 tones a year approximately. the concerns  expressed are weak at best. The governments use drones to destroy on average 50 non combatant blameless civilians for every alleged criminal in the middle east they are after , does that appear to you as being concerned for public safety? Are people from the middle east any less a human being than you or me ? what about their rights, Its ridiculous. All the time people micro analyse aspects like drones safety in developed western society they are not focusing on the global picture and seeing in the grand scheme of thing just how, hypocritical those who would rain us in are being.  They have a hidden agenda, and its little or nothing to do with their concern for you or me. its a red herring and as normal everyone's buying into it .   Not me!!

This is our governments:  Showing their care for public safty!

2015-9-28
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-29 08:58
Sorry, I thought this was all about public safety, not categories, public safety as you say is public s ...

and more;

DRONES!

Ho yes all for our own best interests arn't they ?

2015-9-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-29 15:58
Sorry, I thought this all about public safety, not categories, public safety as you say is public s ...

I don't think this is the right forum for this discussion.   I'm talking about understanding the regulations and no fly zones so we can capture amazing footage without getting into trouble or creating a bad name for our hobby.

I'm not going to discuss other aspects here and politely ask we stay on topic.
2015-9-29
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-29 11:07
I don't think this is the right forum for this discussion.   I'm talking about understanding the re ...

I think your comment says everything I need to know. I will leave it to you to enjoy  with others. I will seek reality and truth good or bad elsewhere and leave the more; colorful/ sanitised  interpretation of life to others here!  
2015-9-29
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

On the subject of no fly zones, altitude limitations, and the possibility of a full size aircraft collision......... why aren't the "powers that be" going after things like this.  If a plane is going to hit something, it would be something like this, since they have no control.

Or worse yet, imagine a commercial airliner sucking this into an engine

2015-9-30
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim ,Again not wanting a fight .You did fly over the Ferry Plaza  and it is crowded .You did fly in restricted air space that required you to call air traffic control . Did you ? I  know that dusk/night flying is not law yet but it recommended by the FAA .Last point the bay bridge is  West: 10,304 ft (3,141 m)
East span: 10,176 ft (3,102 m)
Total: 4.46 miles (7.18 km) Also Treasure Island is the home of the coast guard for the City and bay.You flew fairly close to there station .
How could you see your bird from treasure island  . I admire the pilots skills and guts  . I also loved the video and music .I have flown in a private aircraft over the city and the bridges .I know what Air Traffic control requirements are .There should be a site that we can all go and see the requirements before we fly,in certain areas   .I am not laying blame on you ,in any way.There is no way you would know.  I am just trying to get the wild west of drones in some sort of order . We need to protect our hobby and send out the same signal to the newbies .
2015-9-30
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-10-1 06:05
Jim ,Again not wanting a fight .You did fly over the Ferry Plaza  and it is crowded .You did fly i ...

Good post.  This is what this discussion is all about, coming to a common understanding of the regulations.  
2015-9-30
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-29 20:34
I think your comment says everything I need to know. I will leave it to you to enjoy  with others. ...

Not about being sanitised or naive, there is just a difference between our community agreeing on an interpretation of where it's okay to fly and unmasking the New World Order.   

2015-9-30
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-30 13:05
Jim ,Again not wanting a fight .You did fly over the Ferry Plaza  and it is crowded .You did fly i ...

Hi MtRed,

I was actually the one that was piloting that evening so I am hoping I can clarify a few things about our flight path.

I can confirm that we were not within 5 miles of any airport nor were we in of in the close proximity of a No-Fly Zone so no notification was needed to be given to any ATCT(which is a practice I religiously use if within 5 miles of  ANY airport, even if it is not controlled by a central air traffic control tower in which I contact the pilots organization for that individual airport and post notifications at least 24 hours prior to flight.)

If you follow the video closely you will se indicators that we stayed over the water on all shots (except one shot where we flew over the harbor building with the clock on it). Also as at the time of night those shots were taken Ferry Plaza had already reduced operations to the south docks only so we focused our flights (when in relative proximity to land) to the north docks as to avoid waiting passengers and minimize foot traffic). also as Ferries approached the south docks we changed our location and flight path to accommodate their priority in position.

Also altitude never exceeded 350ft as that is where I have the limited set on my I1 as a just in-case.

In regards to the coast guard station I have flown on Treasure island multiple times over the past several months (usually about once to twice a month) and have had them come by to talk and check things out (with no issues) and the only concern they had was that I not fly on the south side of the island which I am  gladly wiling to abide to. Also as per FAA "recommended" regulations to not fly with 500ft of  The Treasure Island Job Corps Center, Life Learning Academy Charter School and Treasure Island Elementary School (Historical site) that are located on that island. So we focused out flight path strictly on the very west side and south section of the main island (but north of the smaller island where CG and NR bases and the I-80 are, known as Yerba Buena Island)

They usually hang out for a bit ask questions and check it out which is fine with me as it gives me a chance to talk with them about our beloved drones and help inform them (and people) of some of the facts of drones rather than only what they hear about in the news.

That particular location is used by several modeling clubs monthly flying drones, copters and fixed wing RC planes and gliders for some time now and they are very open and receptive to flying out of that location given that you are not dodging cars on the roads, flying over the south side of the islands (other side of the freeway), not flying over groups of people or event gatherings and preferably remain on the north side of the bridge.

On a side note I have befriended a contact with the FAA in their Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Office and communicate with him frequently about intended flight paths, locations, shoots etc. He is the one that has been getting me contact info to ATCT's at some shots where I have been within the 5 mile radius. I frequently send him links to my videos for reviews and comment as well.

In this case the only things he gave me comment and/or complaint about was the one pass over the bridge and flying over (but not completely) the clock building at the harbor port. Other than that in his words we "were within the current recommended  regulations and policies of the FAA for UAV's".

In all respects he did give me a little conversation on how I obviously pushed the flight area to the limits and his only "questionable issue" was flying within LOS. But as it was night time and the I1 having LED markings on all four corners plus stobe identifies he said "I guess if you have 20/20 vision and a co-pilot then maaaayyyybbbbeeeee you could track it visually but come on you know better".  Yeah he.s right. If we did anything wrong that would be it.

Here is a image of the area. You can see the restricted areas as well as I have marked the exact locations of the coast guard station and whats left of the naval reserve depot (not much left) on Yerba Buena Island.

airmap treasure island higher.jpg
2015-9-30
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-9-30 15:13
Hi MtRed,

I was actually the one that was piloting that evening so I am hoping I can clarify a few ...

Please do see this as an attack on either of you .We all push things ,I confess to flying one time at a thousand feet .I did use flight aware but I was guilty but did not break any laws. We love our drones .I just think the senior piolt  members of the board should give direction  and set an example for people to follow.Did any of you see the guy that flew down Market St in San Francisco .How crazy was that .He posted on our board and no one said anything about how crazy he was That is all I am saying ,we have to be careful or we all  lose our hobby .
2015-9-30
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-30 16:09
Please do see this as an attack on either of you .We all push things ,I confess to flying one time ...

No attack at all.

But considering some specific points were being discussed regarding that flight I felt that maybe I should clarify some of the details of that flight.

I am an advocate for flying safe but I will say that I dont think there is a single person on this forum (or other forums/groups) that fly's 100% line of sight and never uses the video feed to get "That Shot".

Yeah flying down market street with a crowd, crazy, stupid, irresponsible and reckless. Ultimately there is no shot worth the risk of injuring people. Market Street and that guy in the UK im hearing about....  that is what  is ruining the sport and the enjoyment for hobbyists like most of us.

I will agree, yes I flew past line of sight (as many of us do) but I always make sure my surrounds merrit and allow for me to do it safely.   
2015-9-30
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-9-30 16:21
No attack at all.

But considering some specific points were being discussed regarding that flight ...

Thanks for that ,let us teach people what to do .When we see bad posts ,we should all jump on them .For the record I would love to fly with you .I can not believe what you did and would love to have that level of confidence .I mean it .
2015-9-30
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-30 16:32
Thanks for that ,let us teach people what to do .When we see bad posts ,we should all jump on them ...

Also it is so nice to see that we can all talk with no offense been taken .Love that .
2015-9-30
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Totally.  We are all on the same side here.   The big issue I see is there is no consensus even among us and I'm hoping this thread can get us all on the same page.
2015-9-30
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-30 17:17
Totally.  We are all on the same side here.   The big issue I see is there is no consensus even amon ...

Let us hope.
2015-9-30
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-30 16:32
Thanks for that ,let us teach people what to do .When we see bad posts ,we should all jump on them ...

Thank you, I appreciate that. I'm just a hobbyist that loves flying.

I will say I've had zero product issues and every firmware update I test like its a new product for the company I work for. Every firmware and software update goes thru a check list and if it passes in off flying. If it fails I dont fly

Its been hard with all the issues people gave had but if you don't trust your equipment and trust yourself then you are more likely to have undesired results in flight. I treat my I1 with the same respect as my guns. Fear them enough to respect the responsibility of their power and if you don't somebody can get hurt but have enough confidence to trust yourself in your decisions and operations for the use as for which they were intended in a safe, creative and artistic manner.

If your ever around in central Cali hit me up, I'm always looking for co-pilots and camera operators as some shots just shouldn't be done without a second set of eyes. Right Jim?

Ok back on topic...
2015-9-30
Use props
wolftj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

Good discussion. Glad everyone is trying to be safe.

A couple points from the discussion I'd like to address:
1. FlightAware should never be used to see if there are other aircraft in the area. I'm drawing a conclusion that that's what it was used for by one poster, and that may not be correct but; FlightAware will ONLY show aircraft that are either on an active IFR flight plan, or VFR aircraft using flight following. You'd be surprised, and not in a good way, how many planes are flying around that don't fall into either category (probably most if not all aircraft within 1000' of the ground will NOT be on FlightAware).

2. While I coordinate with any type of available airspace controller, I will typically have with me a portable aviation radio and self announce before takeoff, and periodically while flying, just as pilots should be doing when flying around VFR. For example; "Caddo area traffic, UAV Nxxxx taking off two miles west of Caddo Lake, orbiting the area at and below 300 ft, Caddo traffic". The frequency used will be the local CTAF which can be found on VFR sectionals to name one of many sources. Anyone interested could get more info at their local airport. There's usually a group of guys "hangar flying" that would love to chat about stuff like this.

3. Not sure about night flying without FLIR or an amplified light camera. VFR flight at night is legal, but it's one thing seeing from inside the aircraft, another completely trying to fly from the ground. I've done it at close range. That night footage can sure be spectacular. I'd be worried about loss of orientation and the fact that the most light sensitive parts of the eye don't discern color well. Now which way is it pointing?...

Anyway, good post. Thanks again to Jim for starting it. Fly safe and stay off the evening news!
2015-10-1
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

wolftj@mindspri Posted at 2015-10-1 15:37
Good discussion. Glad everyone is trying to be safe.

A couple points from the discussion I'd like t ...

Yes you are right about flight aware .I did it once and it was not wise but it was fun!!! Up for less than a minute .We are on top of a hill in Napa and I have great views .Can see most planes but yes not a good move .Thanks for your post and comments .Glad Jim started all this .
2015-10-1
Use props
Eboli
lvl.2

Australia

Interesting discussions.  

Although the main intention of discussion is what laws/regulations are in place that prohibit certain places/actions there is another aspect and that being the "law"of common sense.

I have been doing a bit of reading and was interested about the "temporary banning"of drones in US National Parks in 2014.  

One of the reasons used was a drone setting off a stampede of bighorn sheep where calves were separated- http://www.livescience.com/46667 ... national-parks.html . Some readers may think that example is a minor issue but this does lead to other scenarios I can think of such as flying over bird nesting grounds or other wildlife where it can create a negative impact on them.  Another example is buzzing a mob of kangaroos that causes them to take fright with some roos hitting a barbed wired fence and breaking their legs in the process of getting entangled in them.

I do believe that the recent push to put in legislation regarding the use of "drones" does have a reason rather than just revenue raising and it tends to be based on users of such devices not using commonsense and basically doing stupid things.

So, my little addition to this topic would be showing due consideration to natural wildlife at certain times of the year when you are aware that the presence of a drone creates a fight/flight response in them.

Cheers from Australia!

2015-10-25
Use props
Alien tech
lvl.3
Bulgaria

jimhare Posted at 2015-9-29 10:07
I don't think this is the right forum for this discussion.   I'm talking about understanding the re ...

going nowhere!
2015-11-16
Use props
samuelloveland
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2097608 ft
United States

Thanks for the mandatory suggestion big bro, but Im going to decline regardless
2015-12-16
Use props
drewumland
lvl.1

United States

Alien tech Posted at 2015-9-28 13:06
I tend to see things a little different; its not always about the law, right or wrong, correct, non ...

" I call this the age of paranoia, and they have  fostered this paranoia to justify yet more paranoia. "

Lol...I think you have your very own "age of paranoia" going on....I thought this forum was about flying drones....not droning on.
2015-12-20
Use props
drjcbarton
lvl.1

United States

cravac Posted at 2015-9-28 20:31

No, LOS requires daylight operation.
2015-12-21
Use props
brenten.sandry
New

Australia

@jimhare Hi Jim. I am from Perth and will be heading to LA in 3 weeks. Did you need to register with the FAA when heading to America? Or did you need any type of license or certification? I will be only flying my drone as a hobby to take some photos of the coastline. I just want to make sure I will not get in any type of trouble. I would hate it if u had to leave my drone at airport or have it sent back :/ Thanks in advance.
Brenten.
2016-5-23
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
United States

brenten.sandry Posted at 2016-5-23 21:54
@jimhare Hi Jim. I am from Perth and will be heading to LA in 3 weeks. Did you need to register with ...

Hey Brenten,

Yes, you definitely need to register, even as a tourist/hobbyist.  Only $5 so well worth it.   I don't think you would have any issue at customs, just if the FAA caught you while flying without the registration.

Look up the latest guidelines to avoid trouble.  The big one is no flying in national parks.

No matter what you do there will be someone who says you did the wrong thing and you may encounter some flack if anyone else is around when you fly, but all in all I had a great time and no complaints.
2016-5-24
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

brenten.sandry Posted at 2016-5-23 21:54
@jimhare Hi Jim. I am from Perth and will be heading to LA in 3 weeks. Did you need to register with ...

Just to add to Jim's reply. Our US Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) has a mobile app that you can be download for free called B4UFLY Smartphone/Mobile App.

It's available for both iOS devices and Android devices.

It's primary use is to provide you with information about aviation facilities, traffic, and to assist you with safe flight. It will show both public and private airports and heliports and most important will alert you of areas that could really get you in the new reports, like flying too near the many airfields in the LA area.....
2016-5-24
Use props
brenten.sandry
New

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2016-5-24 23:24
Hey Brenten,

Yes, you definitely need to register, even as a tourist/hobbyist.  Only $5 so well w ...

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the reply! I will definitely register
Oh yes, im sure that will happen. People love to voice their own opinion as if it's fact.
2016-5-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules