Why irresponsible flying wins DJI GO contest??
1154 11 2015-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Here are the winners:

Irresponsible flying over crowds

Why irresponsible flying wins DJI GO contest??

I am not speaking of laws and governemnt rules obey them or not - I am speaking of common sense. Well if some casualties in Peru happen probably no one in USA or EU will ever hear from it. Does DJI want to promote flying style which is forbidden in all countries no matter which laws they have?

Flying in dense populated area and over roads

For comparison: this video didnt win anything:

Following moving trains

PS: I noticed the view numbers of my videos did not increase even by one since Sept 21st. Did anyone even look at them????

Besides: while the @contest@ ended Sept 21st the Lucky Star prizes already ENDED Sept 18th and the chinese like cheaters (someone else explained it already in the forum) got the rest of the prizes.

Judge yourself.

2015-9-28
Use props
Skylinewg
lvl.2

United States

Fear mongering from our own community. Now I'm sure someone will link me to the article of the drone that dropped on the baby a few weeks ago. I'll be happy once drone-ing gets past this infantile stage, between the media, the regulatory agencies, and our very own fliers it's getting pretty old hearing the same ole drivel.

Crimea River dude.
2015-9-28
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

Thats not the point. Everyone here knows I am against government rules but still for responsible flying.

But the point here is why DJI downgrades 32 channels to 8, reduces maximum flight speed, forces you to fly waypoints before you can safe them, limits even the max range for waypoints to 500m and then give prizes to videos violating basically any rule in existence?

In my opinion DJIs policy here is a little odd. Ignore govs or accept them but you cannot obey them in one corner and ignore them at the other.
2015-9-28
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

Agreed.......
2015-9-28
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

Indeed.

Is that train made by Volkswagen?  
2015-9-29
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-28 13:39
Thats not the point. Everyone here knows I am against government rules but still for responsible fly ...

Haha, funny line Roastie!  I have to agree with your point Machoman.  If that I1 had come down and injured someone, the media would have been all over it and it would have been another black eye on all of us.  I agree, why reward such carelessness.  Regarding the speed reduction you mentioned,  I'm not sure it's such a big deal with the current bitrate.  It just can't keep up with all the information.  Maybe if they increase it (wishful thinking) it may be a legitimate complaint.
2015-9-30
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

This is the problem with flying UAVs as many Pilots feel they can just fly them anywhere they want.  They know of and are fully aware of the legal implications and constraints, but seek that notoriety and recognition from others that they have created and recorded such fantastic film footage.  DJI are simply endorsing unsafe practices and flying by promoting such footage.

Even videos posted on the forum by other members clearly shows the Inspire or Phantom flying over populated and congested areas, cities, freeways, vehicles or public areas with lots of pedestrians who are oblivious to the aircraft above them.  These film clips have clearly been obtained without due process or consideration and clearly have not got the required permissions or even thought of a proper risk assessment for the flights.

DJI are just out to promote the aircraft and its abilities and clearly have no appreciation for safety.  This is funny though when they adopt and impose No Flying Zones within the software.

I agree any video uploaded onto the forum which breaks any Civil Aviation Laws should be removed by the Moderators.  If respective Moderators are unaware of specific in-country aviation laws then they should perhaps seek assistance from forum members who are commercially approved and licensed pilots to help with moderation of such posts.
2015-9-30
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

GB44 Posted at 2015-9-30 22:36
This is the problem with flying UAVs as many Pilots feel they can just fly them anywhere they want.  ...

I didnt ask for removal - I just wonder why DJI gives prizes for this while at the same time limiting the DJI GO software all ways possible. It doesnt match.

I also want to distinguish between govs laws and responsible flying because this is not the same.  While its obviousely irresponsible to fly in dense population areas or over masses of people it really doesnt matter if someome flys 2km away if its not in a city and he researched the area though its against aviation laws.

If people buying drones would need to obey all laws DJI would be shortly bancruptcy.

Still that doesnt mean to give prizes for videos that promote really dangerous flying - dangerous for others.
2015-9-30
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Flying over people is perfectly safe in most cases, chances of an incident in the first place are pretty slim and it would be user error 99% of the incident times.  Competent pilots need not worry to much about flying over people/cites, its the first time owners who dont know anything about quads and have little to no experience flying them who would be more at risk of causing damage or injury.  there are many things a novice could do without even realizing it that could cause him problems.
2015-9-30
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
Canada

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-9-30 21:43
Flying over people is perfectly safe in most cases, chances of an incident in the first place are pr ...

Totally disagree, pilot error is one thing but there are too many other variables.  A prop flying off batteries that that suddenly drop dramatically in power, flyaways, it's just not worth the risk.  Besides anyone hit with that mass and weight, wether falling  or at full speed could sustain serious injuries, even death. If you've followed the forums and seen videos of crashes, just imagine if each one of those pilots had been flying over crowds.  So far, luck has been with us.  I for one won't be pushing mine.
2015-9-30
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Alastair Posted at 2015-10-1 03:54
Totally disagree, pilot error is one thing but there are too many other variables.  A prop flying  ...

Alastair,

I agree, with your comments.

I think most would also agree that there are plenty of good film footage that can be obtained without breaking respective aviation Laws.  When professionals push the boundaries beyond the statutory limits and posts videos on the forum or the web, the Hobbyist flyers then see this as a "Green Light" for them to try and copy similar flights.

Some commercial operators have probably had two or more observers, perhaps with two-way radio coms and undertaken risk assessments and fully appraised the area in advance and has ensured full control of the area.

You just have to look at the recent Youtube film of Trey Ratcliffe flying his Inspire in London City with a Photographer from Scotland.  His own comments " we'll try not to get arrested" which implies that he knew full well what he was about to do was illegal.  I would be well pleased if the CAA in the UK applied for extradition for him to come back to the UK and face the music alongside the photographer accomplice.
2015-10-1
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Alastair Posted at 2015-9-30 21:54
Totally disagree, pilot error is one thing but there are too many other variables.  A prop flying  ...

I do understand where youre coming from but none of those things happen to experienced pilots.  props flying off was due to failure to properly tighten them and the battery issues were due to firmware bug related to the battery self discharging feature and were easily avoided.  Most flyaways were due to user moving the craft during the power on self test or loss of gps signal and failure to be proficient flying in atti mode.  Some probably due to improper imu/compass calibrations.  Actual hardware failure flyaways, if even any, are so rare youd have more luck winning the lottery after getting hit by lightning 3 times in a month.
2015-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules