New restrictions in upcoming October Firmware release?
5524 66 2015-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Go just upgraded on mine this morning.
2015-9-29
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

sounds like you could be reading too much into it. May I ask if you are currently wearing a tin foil hat?
2015-9-29
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-30 01:51
sounds like you could be reading too much into it. May I ask if you are currently wearing a tin foil ...

What is "tin foil"?
2015-9-30
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-28 14:01
Nothing currently points to the restrictions you mention. The big change is in the encryption betwee ...

I was going to say the same.
2015-9-30
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-28 19:04
Yeah BUT when litchi gets crippled i will be one pissed off DJI customer.

So will I.  I use Litchi and it's so much  better  than DJI app.  Wow there goes open source out the door.
2015-9-30
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

So you will need to input  your drivers license,  social,  and date of birth to be able to even turn the bird on.
2015-9-30
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-9-30 01:46
Go just upgraded on mine this morning.

This update is not the one to worry about. The one in late October is when all the new stuff starts.
2015-9-30
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

I hope you're wrong.

As a software developer I can tell you that sometimes in order to improve the product you must re-write the code and sometimes that process results in incompatibility with previous versions.  Writing cutting edge software is not easy.  No one knows exactly how to do something that's never been done before.  As you write cutting edge software, you learn more and more about how to do it and this leads to better designs.  Sometimes the better design is completely different than what you started with.  Fact of life.

I wouldn't worry too much about DJI limiting the Phantom.  It'll be the govt that limits us the most.
2015-9-30
Use props
Rendall69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1337543 ft
Cabo Verde

Phantom Menace Posted at 2015-9-30 01:38
I have blocked the Go app from getting access to the internet. It can not check to see what version  ...

Hello, good morning,
in trying to update my P3 RC connected innocently on my PC the USB cable, and now already I have no information on the tablet as before.
how do to solve this problem?
Can anyone help me
2015-9-30
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

No wories here, I deleted DJI Go a long time ago.

Can yall say Litchi?
2015-9-30
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

gsp171@mchsi.co Posted at 2015-9-30 07:43
No wories here, I deleted DJI Go a long time ago.

Can yall say Litchi?

I have not gone as far as to delete DJI Go. I feel I have to keep it to do IMU Calibrations when needed. That function, and probably a few other maintenance type functions were not part of the SDK released to developers, and therefore could not be part of their third party apps. So if you only have Litchi, you can not do an IMU calibration when needed. I am not sure what other functions are the same way.

That is why I kept DJI Go and just blocked it from internet access.

I use Litchi to fly exclusively.
2015-9-30
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-9-30 07:02
I hope you're wrong.

As a software developer I can tell you that sometimes in order to improve the  ...

I hope you're right.

I prefer to wait and see before locking myself into something that could potentially limit what I can do and prevent me from getting that functionality back. If the issues I am worried about do not appear in the upcoming FW update, I may go ahead and let it update, but I'm going to wait and see what happens to the third party apps before I make the move.
2015-9-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

As you may all know that WE are not required YET to update our firmware, it's only optional and should stay optional, the firmware is what resembles having a root kit on a device that you do not have full contol of, and need a translator to make it work "app" .
2015-9-30
Use props
kgjamison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460751 ft
United States

Rigworker Posted at 2015-9-28 23:34
I found it is easier to make my own. I can also then decide if I want the shiny side facing in or  ...

Awesome! Thanks for the share!
2015-9-30
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

Phantom Menace Posted at 2015-9-30 05:44
This update is not the one to worry about. The one in late October is when all the new stuff start ...

Not necessarily.  GO could have a date check function built-in that would trigger a software switch to happen on a certain date, whenever they wanted.  It could work fine until that date and then change characteristics.

I did some looking this morning and found no way to shutdown application updating on that app.  Application Manager has no such function available that I can see.
2015-9-30
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
United States

By the way, has anyone else noticed that GO has (as a requirement) the ability to place a phone call?  It even says that it COULD cost you money on your phone account.  And there are several other data accesses allowed in the app.  I've not see that  before.
2015-9-30
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-9-30 17:49
Not necessarily.  GO could have a date check function built-in that would trigger a software switc ...

I downloaded an app to block it's access to the net.
2015-9-30
Use props
bob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745 ft
United States

DJI should stop playing Kindergarten Cop.  Most of us drone operators are responsible enough to know where and when we can fly.  Some of us even read the FAASafety.gov announcements.  As a Private Pilot with a Commercial rating, I object to being treated as irresponsible.  How would you like to fly in an airliner where the software could tell it to land the plane right away regardless of where you are, and the crew could not do anything to stop it.  This is over-regulation.  At the very least, there has to be disable switch for the "safety" software.
2015-9-30
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

Looks like I wasn't wrong. The new SDK is out and all third party apps have to use it as the upcoming public release of the new firmware will require all apps (including 3rd party apps) redesign their apps or they will not function in the new firmware.

This is the new firmware that DJI Go will automatically download for you if you don't stop it.

For people just using DJI Go, you might not notice the new limitation, since DJI Go has already implemented this limit in the app. The new firmware now makes it impossible for any app to allow setting a maximum altitude of more than 500m. The third party apps were not bound by that limit before this new release, and you could set whatever maximum limit you want. If you update, and you use a third party app, you will now lose that ability.

I believe this is only the beginning. Future releases will include more restrictions as to range, speed, autonomous flight and more. Most of these have already been implemented in DJI Go, but again, I use a third party app (Litchi) and with the last release (Which I do not plan to upgrade from) I still have all the unrestricted abilities.

Why should I care if I can't go over 500m?

I live in the mountains. Many mountains around me are much higher than 500m. This limit is from where you take off, not 500m over the ground you are currently flying over. I would like the ability to rise up the side of a mountain and glide over the peak to see the view on the other side. I would be well within FAA regulations of under 400 feet (above the ground I am flying over) but I would be far above the 500m limit now imposed by DJI on all apps which is measured from where I took off.

I'm sure there are dozens of other valid reasons for needing higher altitudes. Others can chime in.

I bet in time, they lower it down the the FAA's suggestion of 400 or 500 feet. I bet they reduce the range to prevent anyone from flying by FPV further than line of sight (even in the middle of death valley of some other uninhabited area) and more.

You can put away those tin foil hats for now. It has begun for real.  
2015-10-8
Use props
lvhailon
New

China

The whole city of Beijing is forbidden to fly. It is not fair.

2015-11-19
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

toddf.perkins@g Posted at 2015-9-30 00:51
sounds like you could be reading too much into it. May I ask if you are currently wearing a tin foil ...

Still want to know about that tin foil hat?
2016-1-4
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

Phantom Menace Posted at 2016-1-4 23:18
Still want to know about that tin foil hat?

Exactly!  Just read through this thread from the beginning. The usual RC Know-It-Alls on here lack any type of foresight.
2016-1-4
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

The newest product in the Phantom line (The Phantom 3 4K) tells the story for you. WiFi only. No lightbridge. Severely restricted range. My guess is that the Phantom 3 Pro will be phased out in favor of this version, since having the longer range and higher altitude capabilities of the P3P is only a liability to DJI at this point. We are on our way to simple backyard toys.
2016-1-14
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

to be honest: I think it will replace the standard.....and the P3A will phased out. (see also the "celebration" pricing)
2016-1-14
Use props
countrysidegard
lvl.2

United States

Menace, you nailed this perfectly. I'm reading from the beginning laughing at all the ignorant fools who are now GEOFENCED! The fun was good while it lasted. Hopefully you were right about litchi making a legacy edition and hopefully there is a way to get around the forced updating from dirty dji. Hey that sounds like a good web page slogan after these sneaky tactics they've imposed!
2016-1-14
Use props
Phantom Menace
lvl.1

United States

Sadly, I was wrong about the Legacy version of Litchi. It was talked about in the forums, but I posed the question directly to the developer and he says no. It would be too much work to keep up with and maintain 2 versions of the software. So I am stuck at Litchi version 2.3.1. (I believe that was the last version before the new SDK forced the altitude restriction) Fortunately, even without further updates,  Litchi is a feature-rich, rock-solid stable app that does everything I need it to do, so I'm fine with staying where I am.
2016-1-20
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

I'm keeping mine at 1.6 since I have no problems at all with my P3A. It does everything I want it do do and more so why upgrade?
2016-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules