How long to get set up to fly?
2076 25 2015-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

I was talking to a local dealer about getting a Phantom 2 Pro and he asked if I had ever checked out the Chroma instead.  One of the points he used to push the Chroma is that set up time for the Phantom would be long, about 15 to 20 minutes before you would be ready to fly but the Chroma would only take about 5 minutes or less.  So, how long does it take you to set up your Phantom 3 from the time you arrive until you are actually in the air?  All in all, from what I have cheked out, the Phantom is a much better video/photo platform than the Chroma.
2015-9-28
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Lets see, I pull up to the park, get out of the truck, unzip my backpack, take the P3, remote and battery out. Plug in battery, boot up controller, P3 attach device to controller. Read all my sensors, double check RTH height, max elivation, and home point is set. Take off......5-7 minutes tops assumimg the device connects to the bird. So this 15-20 minutes stuff is crazy talk.
2015-9-28
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

I would have to agree. 5-7 minutes. Besides this is a hobby isn't it? What's the rush?
2015-9-28
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

I also concur with 5-7 minutes. I am not in a hurry either and that's all it takes to make sure I am flying safe and that the aircraft's sensors, settings and GPS are within accepted limits. I might take a little longer with getting the camera end of things set up for the conditions I am filming in.
2015-9-28
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

Might take you that long the very first time first time you fly LOL but I doubt it.   5-7 sounds right.
2015-9-28
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

It takes me 15 minutes to setup and fly if i have my kids with me and get them out of the truck and get there toys out.
2015-9-28
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

5-7 minutes? Y'all must be old and slow or something.
2015-9-28
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

joeyjoe Posted at 2015-9-28 18:56
5-7 minutes? Y'all must be old and slow or something.

LOL exactly ! it only takes 2 minutes to put props on and fire up the group and you are ready to rumble.
2015-9-28
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

Does that include rolling a joint or something?
2015-9-28
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

im old and it takes me maybe 3mins to be up in the air!!
2015-9-28
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for all the replies, I figured it might just be "salesman trash talk" to get me to buy one of his drones instead of the Phantom.  I did see somewhere on the internet a comparison between the two and the Phantom was better in almost every category.  
2015-9-28
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Don Loftus Posted at 2015-9-29 07:41
Thanks for all the replies, I figured it might just be "salesman trash talk" to get me to buy one of ...

right now, value for money, non beats the p3
2015-9-28
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Finland

takes me 10 minute's to remember why got in my car and drove there
2015-9-29
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Don Loftus Posted at 2015-9-28 19:41
Thanks for all the replies, I figured it might just be "salesman trash talk" to get me to buy one of ...

I have both. I concur with those above about the setup time for the Phantom 3. I have the Pro version, but the setup time is no different between the Pro and Advanced. I can't speak for the Standard.

The Chroma flies a little longer (on average) than my Phantom. The video (I hardly ever do stills) on the Chroma looks as good as the Phantom, but the camera on the Phantom is far more versatile. There are many setting available on the Phantom camera - the Chroma has virtually no settings - full auto.

Calibration is a tad more complex and longer on the Chroma than on the Phantom, but not enough diff to really matter. The Chroma is a little bigger than the Phantom and the LEDs you see from the underside are huge. I mean really big.

Technically, I think you might get more bang for your buck with the Phantom. The Chroma has two very nice features the Phantom does not have. (1) built-in monitor/screen. Granted, the FPV view is WiFi and much smaller range than the Phantom, but I don't tend to fly too far away anyway. (2) The landing gear is quickly removed/attached making for great portability.

DJI really seems to be getting better with their customer service. Horizon Hobby has and has had for quite a while, a fantastic customer service.

The Chroma can possibly be better compared with the Phantom 3 Standard.

Art Burke - N4PJ
Leesburg, FL
2015-9-29
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-29 13:05
I have both. I concur with those above about the setup time for the Phantom 3. I have the Pro vers ...

no difference in set up time with the standard - I do take off my props and put them back on - 30 seconds?
2015-9-29
Use props
Don Loftus
lvl.3

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-29 08:05
I have both. I concur with those above about the setup time for the Phantom 3. I have the Pro vers ...

Aburkefl, very good review on both the Chroma and the Phantom, thank you.  Since I already have an iPad Air and an iPhone 6, the Chroma built in video is not a factor for me.  I also like the longer range offered by the Phantom, just in case I need it.  Thanks for your help.
2015-9-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

It takes me less than 5 minutes.
2015-9-29
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

The P3 Standard is now only $699
2015-9-29
Use props
ryanbattey
lvl.2

United States

Bartone Posted at 2015-9-28 16:22
Does that include rolling a joint or something?

Why yes it does.
2015-9-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

@Bartone, eh bro, pre roll them j's bud... Hahaha
Don't waste precious flying time. Besides Your Phantom should get you high enough to be happy.
A great pilot will do much better with a clear mind and have his full capacity, ability to focus.

How long it takes me to get up in the air once I have arrived at my take off point, depends on where I'm flying that day.
Normally, Park the SpYder, remove helmet, gloves, place backpack on level ground, unzip, unbuckle the bird.
Pull out the radio and iPad Air, from behind the foam, clamp it on, plug it in, turn on the radio, & it powers up the iPad Air 2.
Check bird visually, Spin on the 4 rotor blades, two by two, hand tighten. Depress the On button twice. She is ready to serve me once again.
Give it a prayer.  Set it on my launch pad. Which is a wooden toilet seat shaped pad I made. Inside joke. (Toilet bowl Effect)
The previous Cold IMU calibrations means I am ready to fly in mere moments. Take off in 10,9,8  Check all the pertinent vital stats.
7,6, set current battery parameters. 5,4, step back, 3,2, Up she goes. Five mins. or so, ought to do.
It takes longer though  to put her.away, than setting up for adventure.

RedHotPoker
2015-9-29
Use props
todor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2192221 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-29 17:12
@Bartone, eh bro, pre roll them j's bud... Hahaha
Don't waste precious flying time. Besides Your Pha ...

Exact the same here, but just the first flight I hand tighten the propellers - every  time they self tighten once the motors are started. It usually takes from 2 to 3 minutes from "stop" the vehicle to take off.
2015-9-29
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

ask him what his commission is on the dji product vs. the chroma?
2015-9-29
Use props
Jeff_L
lvl.1

United States

Personally I wouldn't base my decision on how long it takes to set up and fly, I would base it on the platform itself.  I have the P3Pro and absolutely love it.  Didn't fly any others before my purchase, but did do a bunch of internet and YouTube research before going with DJI.

Doesn't sound like your drone rep was being consultative if he was focused on setup time.  Btw, my typical setup time is probably 5-7min.  I do take my time to make sure props are snug, compass calibrated, checklist completed, etc.  I don't want to have a crash because of stupidity....again.  lol
2015-9-29
Use props
FlappyBird
lvl.2

United States

3 minutes, flat. Got my prop's on in the box. Wanne race?

2015-9-29
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I hold my P3 out the window of my truck and make airplane sounds while I drive to the park.  My RC and ipad mini 3 are already powered up.  So after setting the P3 down and starting up the battery, I can be at like 300 feet in just under 2 minutes.  That's without rolling a doobie, though.
2015-9-29
Use props
ksunsingh
lvl.2

United States

i agree with others on this thread, 3-7 mins

15-20 must include some serious life pondering moments or maybe its for answering questions from bystanders
2015-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules