Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Quick release has snapped in mid air!
1651 16 2015-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christian.ghamm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61581342 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It happened!!
Mid flight, about one minute or so into it, one of the quick releases for the propellers snapped! propeller flew off, Inspire1 dropped 30 meters...needless to say the damage is significant. Thankfully no one was hurt.
I am emailing DJI about this right now.
This is what a snapped quick release looks like guys.

2015-9-29
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

that's why I never use the quick release, only put the propeller locks. so sorry for what happened on you.
2015-9-29
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Christian, Can you post the photos you posted on the FB users page.
2015-9-29
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

A lot of you said you liked the quick so  I had them
Put on. Not I'm going to have to go back to the
Screw on type, which I didn't want to change
Anyway. Not blaming anyone but myself. I should
Have known better. The screw on with the locks
Seemed better in the first place. My fault like I
Spain not blaming anyone but me. Please post
The photo if you can. Thanks.
2015-9-29
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

How long did you use the QR props?

Did you ever change the mounting plates? If yes did you fix the screws over 0,8 nm?

Just want to see if we can find the reason why this happened.
2015-9-29
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

Ive been using these Alloy Mounting Plates for the past 100 flights, always ck them after each flight. They look and feel like they will not crack or snap in half like the plastic DJI mounts.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151732830294?ul_noapp=true
2015-9-29
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-9-29 23:37
Ive been using these Alloy Mounting Plates for the past 100 flights, always ck them after each fligh ...

Those alloy mounting plates look nice.
But I notice that making them exactly the same has perpetuated the design flaw found in the originals.
The problem with the DJI ones, is that the mounting holes align with the cut-outs in the side.
This is the weakest possible position.
If the holes were moved round 90 degrees, they would be in the strongest position.
DJI made a fundamental design error with those mounting plates.
No wonder there seems to be yet another 'new improved' Prop mounting from DJI in the wind.
2015-9-29
Use props
iSkyUnmannedSys
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7152087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've recently taken delivery of a second I1 with the QR locks, the older one has the old style screw on/prop locks. The QR's may save a small amount of time but for safety grounds I'm swapping the QR's out of the new Inspire. I'm waiting to see what the new solution prop locks are like on the Inspire Pro, but still, nothing more satisfying than knowing you have screwed and locked the old style props in place.
2015-9-30
Use props
christian.ghamm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61581342 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-30 00:51
How long did you use the QR props?

Did you ever change the mounting plates? If yes did you fix the  ...

Since Mid June, maybe not sure how many flights but to be honest it should not matter. DJI should not make such a crucial element of the bird so fragile that you are constantly worried they might snap. you should feel confident they will never snap.
2015-9-30
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have used both self tightening and the new Quick release props.  Personally I find the Quick release props fine, you just have to check they are tight and securely twisted into place.   I have had absolutely no problems with them.  I did have one prop lock fly off once on my previous early addition Inspire, but to be fare that was when it hit the ground awkwardly after the support strut came out of the socket in mid flight causing spiralling out of control.  Managed to fly it down slowly on a 45° angle but when it hit the ground as the support strut was no longer doing its job of bracing the leg frame, the legs collapsed causing the props to hit the grass and that was when the lock "ping'ed" off.

So I have no problems with the new QR props.  Will be interesting to see if DJI actually change the locking mechanism again for the props.  I think you have got to remember to inspect the shoulders on the engines mounts after each flight.  I use a magnifying glass and a torch and thoroughly look for any fractures or issues.  However, I do agree with other guys on the forum that they should perhaps be of stronger material, stainless steel or some other material that will withstand the stresses.
2015-9-30
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I recently changed back to the self tightening props and locks because I lost confidants in the QR props because they kept coming loose on the mounting plate. And I felt that if I had to closely inspect, with a magnifying glass, the prop mounts after EVERY flight because of a known problem, no thanks, too much stress, takes the fun out of flying.
2015-9-30
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

christian.ghamm Posted at 2015-9-30 20:50
Since Mid June, maybe not sure how many flights but to be honest it should not matter. DJI should  ...

My question was more targeting possible material problems which occur after some time - are there any long term tests? Maybe they break all after 6 months who knows?

I use them since end of July and I always connect the propellers very carefully and leave them on most of the time. However I think the propellers get a little play though there is no damage.
2015-9-30
Use props
Grimtheviking
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now what do I do ???
Self tightening props worked fine for me, was sent and told by Dji to use sent prop locks because some experienced props coming of due to harsh braking and props not properly secured,
then was sent QR system props and again told by Dji to change over to this system, which also work fine for me
and now with around 200 flights under my belt with QR props, I have purchased a replacement QR set, which I am about to replace old for new,
and now I read this,,,,

Do I replace old for new QR set ??
I have a set of original props and prop locks which setup do I put on ??
or do I ground the Inspire until the new setup is available ??

DJI Please advise,,
2015-10-1
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

I'm sure there are as many pluses as minuses about QR props. I myself will never use them.
2015-10-1
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The QR ones should be fine as long as you thoroughly check for cracks in the base plates prior to flight.
2015-10-1
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Austria

I hope DJI soon sends a set of their new propeller system to everyone since more and more accidents with the QR props show up.
2015-10-3
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

QR props are strong and wont just snap for no reason in mid air. I damaged the tip of one recently so I tested it's strength before replacing it; you can twist and bend them all you like, you'll warp their shape but they wont break.

If they fly off in mid flight the hub must've failed, perhaps the screws were way too tight ( an easy mistake to make )
2015-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules