16382 81 2015-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-1 04:44
Perhaps the new Phantom 5 D coming in December, just in time for Christmas will be the answer...

Now THAT'S an aircraft I'd never fly over water!
2015-10-1
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

duey101 I am sorry you are having an issue with your camera.  (I really am.)  I think you just got a bad camera.  (And that's not your fault.)  I doubt there is much you can do about it other than arrange for an RMA with DJI and hope they fix it.  Problem is... When people send in stuff typically the technician takes about 30 seconds to test it and says "Yup it makes a picture SHIP IT." without actually understanding the full issue.  You have a relatively subtile issue.  (Yes it records a picture but he picture is out of focus.)

Hope you can get it resolved soon.
2015-10-1
Use props
Brett B
lvl.1

United States

Here's a test pano. Just worked a little in lightroom.
2015-10-1
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Rain1dog Posted at 2015-9-30 17:21
Yeah, The Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 have provided amazing CRISP photos and stunning videos.  We sell a ...

Perhaps it's because none of them are professional photographers. I got the P3P and the Inspire 1 (with the old cam), the result that comes out of those camera can't be used for nothing but hobby videography/photography.
2015-10-1
Use props
Mr.buGSy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 820712 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I would suggest looking at the S1000/S900. As I said in the my previous comment, either P3P or the Inspire 1s(older cam) deliver good enough image quality for professional use(in my opinion). Go for a  S1000 + GH4 setup, if you can afford it. I just got that rig, and it's really something else.
2015-10-1
Use props
GeeDee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366257 ft
  • >>>
Iraq

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-1 21:44
Perhaps the new Phantom 5 D coming in December, just in time for Christmas will be the answer...

Hi duey101, you might want to look at DJI Zenmuse X5 Micro Four Thirds camera with the Inspire to get truly pro image, including focus control, with good size sensor, bigger iso range etc.  I agree that stills on P3 are lacking a bit, however remember it's only a tiny processor, and DJI don't claim they are pro-grade.  On the other hand, video quality on phantom is comparable with anything else with small sensor, even better, and arguably pro-level as they claim. You might have to spend some more money to get an all-round pro-setup. Good luck
2015-10-2
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Brett B Posted at 2015-10-2 03:09
Here's a test pano. Just worked a little in lightroom.

That is nice.  If I could get something like that I would be happy.
2015-10-2
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-1 15:44

Exactly - and to scale too!
2015-10-2
Use props
Brett B
lvl.1

United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-2 06:43
That is nice.  If I could get something like that I would be happy.

Well you can . Get light room if you don't have it and what I did for exposure was tap the screen on the ipad or what ever device you're using on the transmitter, right on the horizon, so the little yellow box is half terrain, half sky.
Then look for some pro tutorials how to process dng files with lightroom. I'm a photographer so this was easy. Took about 30 sec to process + the time to stitch it. Let me know if you have any questions.
2015-10-2
Use props
Brett B
lvl.1

United States

Edited in lightroom.
2015-10-2
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

bevsev Posted at 2015-10-1 12:18
Not professional quality, of course. But it has to be satisfactory. And it is not. After I bought  ...

Okay - that photo doesn't look right. There is something definitely wrong with your camera

This just off my flight from earlier today - I was covering a Toyota FJ Cruiser Fun Drive

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7273678/DJI_0042.jpg
Doesn't look as out of focus. Granted, the image is a tad grainy at 100%, but to be fair, is IS a very small sensor compared to what I'm used to (digital medium format and full frame 35mm)

2015-10-2
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Brett B Posted at 2015-10-3 00:52
Well you can . Get light room if you don't have it and what I did for exposure was tap the scree ...

I'm a photographer also Brett.  Here is one of my images I had published in National Geographic...
Capture.jpg

I use LR6 all the time.  The point here is the text on the box, it is blurry.  Even tapping the screen to get focus on the box made no difference.  You can't fix that in LR6, PSCC, or any other tool as far as I know.  I've never found an app that can fix out of focus images.  Anyway, the camera is bad so I'm just polishing my flying skills instead until I can get it back to the dealer in 2 weeks time.  My expectations were too high for this Phantom 3 Pro.  I really thought DJI had come up with what they said they did when I read all of their marketing and advertising, like I mentioned in post #29 of this thread.  Silly me, my fault for buying into the hype.  It sure is a fun little toy though so I'll just use it for that!

2015-10-2
Use props
Brett B
lvl.1

United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-2 11:05
I'm a photographer also Brett.  Here is one of my images I had published in National Geographic...

Oh my mistake Well then there must be something wrong with your camera. The images I'm getting are sharp. Not as sharps as our D800 but still sharp. Also did you go through the style effects and turn stuff down to limit the post processing done automatically? IE make sharpness -2 contrast -3 saturation -2 ect. Then correct everything in lightroom manually where youre in control.

Where this thing shines is video. And im having a blast learning it. The gimbal and image stabilizer is amazing. Stuff looks cinema quality when worked in PPCC.
2015-10-2
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Brett B Posted at 2015-10-3 02:22
Oh my mistake  Well then there must be something wrong with your camera. The images I'm getting  ...

Yep, done everything you could possibly imagine.
2015-10-2
Use props
Brett B
lvl.1

United States

This lens is equivalent to a 20 or 18mm right? I think you're not going to get shot that can compete with your pro $1000's slr. But you cant fly that around .

Takes nice video though

2015-10-2
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

Brett B Posted at 2015-10-3 03:06
This lens is equivalent to a 20 or 18mm right? I think you're not going to get shot that can compe ...

Thanks for those clips Brett.  Your camera is good, mine isn't for sure.  I'll get it replaced.
2015-10-5
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Duey, I'm not saying you don't have a defective camera on your P3, but a lot of what I've read here and elsewhere relates to managing expectations, and to understand DJI's hype and their target market.

The P3 is a camera that FLIES IN THE SKY. The whole kit and caboodle costs less than half of what my cheapest lens costs alone - a lens without a camera, and one most assuredly unable to fly.

Sure DJI used words like "professional-quality footage" and  "crisp images, beautiful resolution, and vivid colors" in their marketing material, but as a pro photographer myself, I have known all along that what I'd likely get are images and video on a par with a good cell phone photo/video, and never expected anything better. DJI hyped this product and aimed it squarely at wannabe pro photographers, and it fulfills their promise of producing amazingly decent images quite well. Nobody I know who is a pro considers the P3 a professional-level camera, despite what DJI said.

Did you honestly believe you'd be getting "professional-quality footage" from a sophisticated toy, regardless of what DJI said?

Again, it's a camera that FLIES IN THE SKY and the whole thing: copter, camera, gimbal, lens, FPV setup, controller, battery, etc. costs JUST OVER A THOUSAND DOLLARS - IN TOTAL.

I've been relatively happy with the stills I've gotten with my P3P, but I've known all along that I'd need a heavy lifter (carrying my 5D3) or maybe an Inspire with the new X5 camera (RAW) to get results approaching what my 6 pro DSLR's can achieve couple to one of my L lenses.

Good luck to you, and hope DJI does well by you, and that your next camera better meets your needs and expectations.
2015-10-5
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Something else I should mention that keeps me from viewing the P3, or any DJI product, for that matter, as a professional tool is their horrid customer service. Now, to be honest, my 2 experiences with DJI service have been above average, and they have taken care of me pretty well, but it doesn't take long to find countless stories of seemingly-endless waits for simple repairs, questionable build quality, etc.. As a long-time member of Canon Professional Services, CPS understands what a pro photographer needs when his/her livelihood is dependent on their gear, and they provide service commensurate with this understanding.

If any Canon product of mine requires repair or service, they turn it around in days, not weeks, and if they can't, they FedEx me a loaner product so that my shooting is never interrupted for more than a few days. Yes, I pay for this, but considering the value, and the peace of mind I get, it's WELL worth it. In fact, I'd be willing to pay for a service from DJI if they were to offer it.

If were dependent on my UAV's to put food on my table, I'd think twice about relying on DJI products the way things are right now.
2015-10-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

dmwierz Posted at 2015-10-5 22:37
Duey, I'm not saying you don't have a defective camera on your P3, but a lot of what I've read here  ...

I don't know how many times I have to say it (post #29 of this thread) or why it is so hard to understand.  Give me what you say you have and advertised to me for the money you asked me to pay for it.  End of story.

Canon's CPS is well worth the money paid, I agree.  I also find their standard services very good as well.  I have never had any problems with any of my Canon gear, never needed any repairs.  The only thing I ever do is send in my 70-200 every now and then for a element cleaning and factory calibration and it is done within a few days.  Good quality products and service.
2015-10-5
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Duey, it's not hard to understand at all. You're not happy with the performance of your camera. Period. End of story. Nobody is arguing with your level of dissatisfaction.

Contact DJI and hopefully they'll take care if you.

2015-10-7
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

dmwierz Posted at 2015-10-7 19:49
Duey, it's not hard to understand at all. You're not happy with the performance of your camera. Peri ...

Taking it in Wednesday.  I have now downgraded my expectations to match the product LOL,  
2015-10-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

One cam should be as good as the other - of course!
But the Pro designation means nothing - it's a model name!

Taking the advanced (with the same lens and sensor), this is
A $300 Transmitter controlling
A $300 Quadcopter with
A $300 Gimbal with
A $100 Camera

That's what we are buying - I didn't even figure in the battery, charger and the packing, shipping and pp/cc charges!

But, yeah, it's a $100 camera - AND, it's also tuned more for video (IMHO) since that is the whole idea of these machines (gimbal).

Probably a QC issue in yours (hopefully).....

I find that the more I get the more I want (out of these machines). I guess that's why DJI just came up with the 5K Inspire with the Micro 4/3rd cam.
Next year we'll probably get a $200 camera on the Phantom 4.

2015-10-7
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Indonesia

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-30 23:09
I think you might well need to open a case with DJI.. Just a quick look about the forum and you se ...

After two weeks with no replies from tech support I finally got a reply, this is what they said...

Sophie Zhang (DJI)
Oct 10, 18:04

Dear Dm,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

So sorry for the late reply.We have checked the picture attached on the forum link, it seems it's Okay.It's suggested to use the DNG Cleaner to clean the picture and check again.http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

If you think it's still unsatisfying, please kindly send us more original photos for further analysis.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

DJI Product Application Technical Support

So, they read this thread, saw the contrasting images here including the blurry out of focus images from my camera and the sharp ones from other people's cameras and conclude my blurry out of focus images are good?  Obviously, DJI has no idea what they are doing and it is clearly evidenced in the reply I received.  
2015-10-10
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

I agree that these lofty expectations for a $1000 device is a little extreme.

Do people believe a car dealership when they say this is the best car in the world because its name is Ford LX Supreme Extra Super version when it only costs 30-40K?

These quads are only $1000..... if you expected a "professional camera" you are crazy. Everything in the world has the word "Pro" on the end of it since the late 1990's. if you fell for it... well,... I can't say much more about that.... The cost of the item should be the dead giveaway for anyone. $1,000 for something that does what this thing does for only a grand?

Now... their support sucks big (I*&^%%.... but the product itself, you have to use common sense.
2015-10-10
Use props
brian.r.kender
New

United States

brycerichert Posted at 2015-10-11 01:30
I agree that these lofty expectations for a $1000 device is a little extreme.

Do people believe a c ...

I am on my second P3P and have same problem.  My cheap iphone takes better pictures.  My video mode is crisp and clear but choppy.  Stills are blurry, absolute horrible.
2015-11-5
Use props
mana.ram.1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-10 08:42
After two weeks with no replies from tech support I finally got a reply, this is what they said... ...

I am also having the same problems, did they fix it.  Im also thinking of calling them.
2015-11-5
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

mana.ram.1974 Posted at 2015-11-6 06:42
I am also having the same problems, did they fix it.  Im also thinking of calling them.

I took mine back to the dealer I bought it from and they gave me a new camera that works.
2015-11-6
Use props
mana.ram.1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

duey101 Posted at 2015-11-6 21:04
I took mine back to the dealer I bought it from and they gave me a new camera that works.

Thanks, ill try that.
2015-11-6
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

Get the dealer to do a side by side test with 2 other P3"s and yours so you can see which camera is best and ask to have the one that works best swapped with yours, but they need to see it is a bad unit first.  The guys I bought from are really excellent to buy and work with, excellent after sales service.  Unfortunately in Thailand so not an option for most folks.
2015-11-7
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

duey101 Posted at 2015-10-1 06:44

I can't stop laughing.

Wait, camera should be white.
2015-11-7
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-30 09:30
Choose your nearest region here - http://www.dji.com/support and either call/email..

Alternativel ...

I don't think , live chat will work for this. I tried it when I was having a focus problem with my P-3 & was told it was photographer error & I needed to play with settings. When I told the tech that I do photography for al living & this is a fixed Focal Lens & as long as I am more than a few feet from my subject, the image should be sharp. They told me I just am not use to the many settings.
I took the same images with my PV2+ & P-3. Side by side anyone one could tell  The image was out of focus.  I sent the images to the dealer I purchased my quad from,  they asked me to bring it back and within a week I had a new camera that was perfectly in focus .
2015-11-7
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

Larry L Posted at 2015-11-8 12:24
I don't think , live chat will work for this. I tried it when I was having a focus problem with my ...

If you have 1 hour and 26 minutes to waste to get an answer to 3 simple questions, only then to be told to go to wherever you bought your bird (dealer) and ask them to sort out any problems, and then have the chat window closed on you, then go ahead and try the live chat.  Took that long to get 3 answers in a chat that should have lasted less than a minute.  Instead of getting irritated and closing the chat window, I wanted to see just how good/bad DJI tech support is so I just started the chat session and that is how it went...  

The above statement answers the question as to the quality of tech support DJI offers.
2015-11-9
Use props
duey101
lvl.2

Thailand

Paniza Posted at 2015-11-7 22:49
I can't stop laughing.

Wait, camera should be white.

But I painted my P3P black so now it matches the 5D III, so of course DJI will start selling black shells now too!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid246085
2015-11-9
Use props
Paniza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

duey101 Posted at 2015-11-9 13:09
But I painted my P3P black so now it matches the 5D III, so of course DJI will start selling black ...

Oh Boy.
2015-11-9
Use props
brian.r.kender
New

United States

Are you guys telling me that when you switch from video to picture mode, you don't notice the least bit loss of quality in picture mode vs video mode?????
2015-11-12
Use props
njoy.photo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259226 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Hi Guys! I have the same problem with mi p3p and p3a, and two my friends with 2 diferent p3p have the same problem... Look at my pictures, compared with cheap chinees phone - Meizu MX 2 mini. I'm a professional photographer. Without copter i use 6D with full line of fix from 14 to 200mm. Later i used hand made hexa with Naza and Sony Nex 5 + Sigma 19/2.8. My Photos was sharp, clear and very colorful. But with p3p i can't get nothing good. This camera is not so good even a GoPro3...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
2016-1-11
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-1-11
Use props
njoy.photo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259226 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Problem with bad focus is fixed. All you need - just disassemle your camera and set right focus manually

https://yadi.sk/i/smNlViPSmtCqu

it takes 10-20mins. no need to send your copter to china. I have 5 Phantoms with the same problem, and now i can fix it myself
2016-1-13
Use props
ivan.dovala
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

njoy.photo@gmai Posted at 2016-1-13 15:49
Problem with bad focus is fixed. All you need - just disassemle your camera and set right focus manu ...

Hi friend. I have same problem with blury photos but link for setting focus dont work for me. Can you help me? Ty a lot O:-)
2016-3-5
Use props
ivan.dovala
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

google.com
2016-3-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced