New Flir Thermal Cameras
3732 14 2015-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Is there any way that DJI could consider providing an upgrade kit to provide some power cables to facilitate the use of these Flir Thermal cameras.  They run off a standard GoPro cable apparently.   These will be super cool for commercial operations if we can only get them mounted safely and effectively on the Inspire.

http://www.flir.co.uk/suas/content/?id=68335

If there are any DJI Moderators who can escalate this request up the R&D  tech guys.  I am sure there will be lots of appreciation and support from all the Commercial Operators.
2015-10-1
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hmm these look interesting little cameras only thing being they don't record so you have to have a recorder on the end of the wireless transmitter or receiver.
Heliguys offer a customised thermal inspire 1. http://www.heliguy.com/dji/inspi ... camera-upgrade.html for £6,199.00

Looks like it just runs separate with its own battery & wireless transmitter. You'd then just have a screen with wireless receiver.

2015-10-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Sure thing GB44 I will escalate this request up to the R&D guys. Very good idea, I would like very much so for this to happen.
2015-10-2
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-2 14:21
Hmm these look interesting little cameras only thing being they don't record so you have to have a r ...

That does look interesting!!!
2015-10-2
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-2 22:21
Hmm these look interesting little cameras only thing being they don't record so you have to have a r ...

Yes but the DJI Dealer (Heliguy) who was trying to sell these Thermal Camera upgrades was trying to get around £5,000 for the upgrade and thermal camera in addition to the Inspire cost.  I come across this upgrade some  months back and posted it on the forum, but at £5K is way too expensive.  The new Flir camera is I believe around £1,000 or thereabouts, somewhat cheaper and the Flir brand is very well known within the industry unlike the thermal camera shown on the Inspire upgrade which is not a Flir brand.  A spoke with a Rep from Flir quite some months ago about this upgrade and he confirmed it was not one of theirs.
2015-10-3
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-10-3 18:52
Yes but the DJI Dealer (Heliguy) who was trying to sell these Thermal Camera upgrades was trying to ...

I meant it looks easy to diy at much lower cost as their mod doesn't need wiring into the inspire power etc they just drilled into the nose cone & then strapped its own power & transmitter. However if dji could come out with an official camera that would be even better as you'd get lightbridge & could record too.
2015-10-3
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-3 19:08
I meant it looks easy to diy at much lower cost as their mod doesn't need wiring into the inspire p ...

Yes,  thats exactly where I am coming from if they can provide some cable that can be plugged into the Gimbal wiring to extract a power supply.  Even better, a bespoke gimbal specifically for the Flir camera.  Should be a easy fix - the Camera is there and very reliable manufacturer from Flir, we just need it mounted on the Inspire in a professional manner and safely.

2015-10-4
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Hey GB - check the specs.

You are only looking at 8fps outside of the US and it's not radiometric.
2015-10-4
Use props
VS69
New

India

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-4 17:48

Hi,
Like to introduce you to Thermal Cameras from Tonbo Imaging.

For Drone applications, we recommend our HawkVision Series (available in VGA/QVGA resolutions) that can operate at full frame rate 30/60 fps.

Have been trying to reach the DJI R&D Team...so that we can integrate and provide end solution to forum members. Can the forum moderator please help with the introduction, please? Thanks!

Best Regards,

VS
2015-10-15
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-4 13:18

Farn,

The price is what I can't  justify when the Flir camera itself is around £1,000.  This version sold by Heliguy is a cheaper model and is not manufactured by Flir.  The rep from Flir informed me it was not one of theirs.
2015-10-16
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-10-17 05:59
Farn,

The price is what I can't  justify when the Flir camera itself is around £1,000.  This ver ...

GB, it's not about how much the tool costs - it's about what income the tool will generate for you.
The cost of the tool is more a problem for the financial institution that is funding your business. If there is enough of a call for these services, then you will easily be able to fund/lease a UAV/Thermal imager rig that is fit for purpose.

One of the problems with low frame rate thermal imaging is that your flight platform needs to be extremely stable. A bit of drift here and there - jitters or wandering and your images will be a mess of poorly resolved colourful smudges.

Your customers will love the thermal images and they way in which they clearly indicate hotspots or heat leaks - but then you will quickly be asked for definitive temperature readings. If you are going to offer thermal imaging from an asset inspection or plant monitoring basis, then a radiometric sensor is really a must.

Were I seeking to offer that sort of service to a commercial customer, I just would not consider the Inspire as a flight platform. It is just too small to manage a proper imaging solution.
2015-10-17
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-10-17 10:29
GB, it's not about how much the tool costs - it's about what income the tool will generate for you ...

Farn,

I agree fully.  I don't think the Inspire is the platform for bespoke cameras such as thermals and other platforms will provide better options and payloads that won't affect flight times.  I was seriously looking at the freefly alta, which I believe will be a better platform for larger cameras and bespoke payloads but still retains that portability for transportation between jobs.

Farn, I will PM you on another issue about 3D modelling.
2015-10-18
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

The FLIR Vue Pro has just been released... and FLIR's promotional materials shows it mounted on a Phantom!
http://www.flir.com/vuepro/

Now with the beefed up Inspire 1 Pro (motors, props, camera)...
I just need to find a way to mount the FLIR Vue on a gimbal that will fit my 1st generation Inspire - or perhaps I'll sell that one and get 2x Inspire 1 Pros.
One for thermal imaging and one for video and still images.
I see on the DJI Inspire accessories page you can buy a complete aircraft without camera... it's getting better all the time ;-)

I will put my S900 wish on the back burner for now... it is clear that a large payload carrier like the S900 is no longer required for my purposes. The X5 is doing what the GH4 was going to do for me and the FLIR Vue has eliminated the A65 + recorder + heavy 12V batteries + plus + plus + plus...
2015-11-10
Use props
Sir Shepherd
lvl.4

United States

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-3 05:21

Almost $10,000 USD, I don't think so and this is way over priced. Almost a joke what people are charging . After all this is not for the average joe.
2015-11-11
Use props
Fubar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 705020 ft
United States

Flir One Digital camera for iPhone is $138USD (on Amazon). We just need a way to transmit the signal. At the price these guys are talking about, you can buy a dedicated iPhone to mount to your drone, and just stream the Flir video to youtube. The price these guys are asking seems a bit to optimistic about what the market will bare... but who knows. I know there are several data ports on the Inspire 1, it would be great if we could utilize one to feed a second video signal thru the remote. That's probably being more optimistic than the guys selling the $10,000 Flir kits. Oh well, so much for my spy drone, back to landscape movies.
2015-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules