Prop balancing? Necessary? What do you think?
12087 51 2015-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-6 16:27
It is also important to keep in mind when altering the weight of one blade with respect to another n ...

I would think it would be the other way around?  Make alterations to the top, not the bottom.
2015-10-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-10-7 09:37
I would think it would be the other way around?  Make alterations to the top, not the bottom.

In theory, you do not want to alter the blade profile too much or you will end up with turbulence or vortices off the prop, and the most critical part of the blade in this regard is the top surface. So for that reason, since all you are trying to do is remove weight, it is better to sand the lower surface of the blade than the top.
2015-10-6
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-10-6 13:14
I like this.  Clear spray. I'll use that!

Simple enough just go easy. It will be smooth and unnoticable.
2015-10-7
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-5 15:19
mostly the new props out of box are balanced, but if you ever hit them, then props need to be balanc ...

There's the official answer for the thread.

YES. You should balance your own props because DJI balance "most" of them.., but not all.
2015-10-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I picked up a Du-Bro True-Spin balancer the other day at my local RC shop, and while I was there I asked the guy in the shop about what sort of shaft or adapter was need for the Phantom props. He said everything was in the pack and there were no extras. Foolishly, I believed him and left with my purchase.

I got home and sure enough, there is no shaft for blind threaded props, like those used on the Phantom. A quick email to Du-Bro revealed that I need their #3381 shaft designed for the Phantom props. So, just a little reminder if you buy the Du-Bro balancer, also to order the #3381 shaft as well.
2015-10-7
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
United States

Well thank you all for the input! I ordered the Du-Bro True-Spin ballancer and the appropriate rod to use for my props.  I'll post my results if you guys are interested!
2015-10-7
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-7 18:40
I picked up a Du-Bro True-Spin balancer the other day at my local RC shop, and while I was there I a ...

Right on -- that's why I mentioned this above ;)
2015-10-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-10-8 11:17
Right on -- that's why I mentioned this above ;)

Yes, you did, and thank you. I just wanted to make it clear that the correct shaft is an extra and not included in the kit.
2015-10-7
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
United States

Results are in!  Du-Bro balancer works wonderfully!  Very low friction system. easy to set up.  Love it!  I have 12 props.  I checked all of them.  1 Carbon prop was slightly out.  And when I say slightly, I mean SLIGHTLY.  Of my stock props, only 2 needed balancing, and both of these were from a set that I had on when I (accidentally) flew through a tree one day....  But even these were barely out of balance.  Very impressed with the DJI quality control.  Keep it up DJI!
2015-10-12
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-10-12 13:56
Results are in!  Du-Bro balancer works wonderfully!  Very low friction system. easy to set up.  Love ...

I have to agree out of 8 of the original props only 2 needed small amount of sanding.

Most props like APC props need a lot of balancing. The Phantom props are very small. My S800 Carbon props always need a lot of balancing especially the hubs.
2015-10-14
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I know many people complain about the jello effect and if I had that problem I might try to balance the props.  Since I do not I am guessing they are very close to balance and the tiny adjustment will make no difference in performance.  
2015-10-14
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Never balanced and I have about 20 flights on a P3P. I hovered at eye level, walked around all sides and looked very closely and didn't see any obvious issues

I used the Du-Bro with the extra rod threaded for P3 props. I found my silver tipped props needed a little adjustment 2 horizontal and 2 both axis. I used small patches of electrical tape. The black tipped props were  another story - all of them required 4-7 patches of tape on the hub to balance on the vertical axis. I even checked if the rod was bent by fixing the black prop on the other end - same results. So I'm not satisfied with the stacked electrical tape and will try the super glue gel tomorrow. I was surprised by the amount of vertical imbalance. I'll be checking for abnormal heating after the next flight with balanced props. Also checked for any shell cracking today and I have none. May get some more props and see if I just got a bad batch of black tipped ones.
Edit - I have to add - Many posts are where users have issues with this product. I believe the vast majority of purchasers are extremely pleased with the capabilities of the Phantom 3 but are too busy enjoying flying and video editing to post. It's probably the best thing I have purchased in quite some time.

2015-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules