photogrammetry pictures (thanks for helping me choose)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

Hi guys!

Normally, I don't like to post any pictures and/or videos of mine publicly. It just doesn't really feel right to me, to let anyone take a look at my silly face/house/vacation/whatever. I mean, on the one hand, it's a privacy concern, but on the other, I don't think there's anything more boring than watching someone else's summer vacation videos...
That being said, some time ago I asked about what phantom to get my father to quench his map making obsession. Many people in this forum helped me in choosing, and now my father is a happy, albeit inexperienced, pilot.
While I was taking revenge for his driving lessons... I mean teaching him how to fly, we attempted a map of one of his fields. We used the phantom 3 manually to take the pictures, and the maps made easy to stitch them together into a map. Since I haven't seen any of these here, I convinced him to let me upload at least the stitched together image, for your personal enjoyment, and as a big thank you to all of you, for the help and enjoyment provided up until now!

Without further ado, here they are:
ad3d0c42e1774955bafd99ef4277ca91-744274-COLOR.jpg flan.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the file, but compressing such a large (as in number of pixels large) image does take it's toll...

2015-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Very nice, choices are limited, so numero uno for moi.
If you think you had a problem or three with these two, you might like to play with
some of the pics that come out of my Nikon D800, 36 megapixels of colour and texture to manipulate. ;-)

Keep at it, Practice makes perfect, just like learning to play a new song on the Motif XF8. . . Low C Middle C  High C BAD. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-10-2
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

That is very cool! I want to do this!  What app did you use? Process?  Is there a website or write-up I can read so you dont have to explain everything? ;)
2015-10-2
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

jaronpv@hotmail Posted at 2015-10-3 04:31
That is very cool! I want to do this!  What app did you use? Process?  Is there a website or write-u ...

Hi Jaron!

Yep, as I mentioned, you can use the maps made easy website. As the name implies, it's simple, and it produces maps! Here's the website, where you'll also get a couple of tutorials on how to use it: https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/
The service is not entirely free, but you get a certain amount of free mapping per month, and only start paying if you exceed that.
If you're using iOS, mapsmadeeasy do offer an app that will actually automatically fly the p3 for you and take the necessary pictures. Since my father managed to throw his ipad through a window in rage and frustration within a week of having it, we have kept him safely in android territory since then. With an android device, you have two options. Either you setup the go app to take pictures in intervals (5s should be good), and then manually fly the P3 over whatever surface you plan to map, or you use litchi, which now actually has camera controls!
At the time, we used the manual approach, and, as you can see in the pictures, we were too conservative on the bottom margin of the field, and too aggressive on the right margin. Automatic flying is probably your best choice for this, still...
Hope it helps!
2015-10-4
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-3 03:39
Very nice, choices are limited, so numero uno for moi.
If you think you had a problem or three with  ...

Thanks Red!

36MP does sound absolutely crazy! Do you hang that on a UAV? I'd love to see some pictures of that! What do you use for uploading, then?
As for music, sadly, the comparison doesn't apply to me... I spent 8 years consistently failing all my music classes in school, and came to the conclusion that my tone deafness is only matched by my clumsiness with any kind of instrument.
2015-10-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Actually I have an Align TRex 700E DFC HV in assembly... ;-)
No, I don't plan on using that for my next camera platform. Hahaha
The D800 always stays very close to my person, when we are out in public.
Crashing the TRex and a D800 together, I could not afford..
But if I had a rig like this. . . Costing $250K!! Yes, you read that correctly.
$1/4 M worth of Phantom

RedHotPoker
2015-10-4
Use props
Rincewind
lvl.4
  • >>>
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-5 15:47
Actually I have an Align TRex 700E DFC HV in assembly... ;-)
No, I don't plan on using that for my n ...

Wow!

Now I know what to get, when I'm rich and famous.
2015-10-5
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

Rincewind Posted at 2015-10-4 17:26
Hi Jaron!

Yep, as I mentioned, you can use the maps made easy website. As the name implies, it's  ...

Sweet! Thank you for the info!
2015-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules