Vision + V3.0 First Flight Confused about Controller/Range?
1440 6 2014-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalcaveman
lvl.1
United States

I just had my first flight with my new PH 2 Vision + V3.0. . .Even after reading the manual many times (which actually wasn't the latest manual) I'm still trying to get my head around the communication that's taking palce. . . .So I have the controller that is controlling the drone; Up, Down, Side to Side, pan around. What is the range on this? Is this totally separate from the Phone & App & wi-fi transmitter? When the app tells me I'm out of range--what does this signify? That the app is out of range with the camera? Or the drone is out of range of the controller? What's the relationship between the two separate transmissions that seem to be taking place simultaneously? Can the app./phone be out of range, while the controller is still in range? And vice-versa? Next question is about the batter(ies). . .It is said that the phantom battery last 25 minutes (I'm not even close to that). . .but what about the wi-fi transmitter and the controller (both of which I'm charging fully). . .do these last much longer than the 25 minutes (Do I have to worry about these running out? How long do they keep a charge?) Last question: Is there a difference between altitude range and horizontal range with the controller and drone? I took the drone up to 500 ft and was told it was out of range or above a limit?? Is this the FCC limit? Or the limit of the controller?

Thank You so Much for your responses. Here's footage from my first flight. I was just focusing on not crashing and was shocked to see what I got when I loaded it into the computer.

Jared Bistrong
2014-12-16
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Controller runs on 5.8 Ghz - Totally separate from the video link/app

Your phone connects to the wifi extender (probably mounted on the bar above your controller)
The wifi extender is 2.4Ghz and in turn connects to the phantom drone

If you lose video feed then you lost the 2.4 ghz which is all your flight data. The controller will most likely still be working but unless you have line of sight it is best to bring it back closer

If you lose the controller signal 5.8Ghz then your app/video feed will show the return to home icon pop up on the video screen. It will disappear once the drone reestablishes a connection to the remote. If you turn the controller off mid flight you can see what it looks like when the phantom loses the controller signal....it will activate the return to home function.

Your extender should last well over 25 minutes and so should the controller.

If at 500 ft you were out of range your connection broke. If it said high limit then you have a 500ft altitude limit set on your phantom. It is adjustable within the Computer vision app but be careful when looking to increase these ranges. Bad things can happen quickly. (like you lose video signal and the return home function fails to operate correctly.....just happened to me this last weekend and i lost my drone )
2014-12-16
Use props
jamesjeley
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Have you had one of these before?!?
That video was amazing!
teedo757 covered your questions in great detail!
2014-12-16
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

lol - I just love your other videos with the Didgeridoo - that was you playing right ?
2014-12-16
Use props
digitalcaveman
lvl.1
United States

jamesjeley@me.c Posted at 2014-12-17 00:18
Have you had one of these before?!?
That video was amazing!
teedo757 covered your questions in great ...

Thanks! No, this was my first flight ever on a drone!! I guess it's a testament to the product! I can't wait to get it back up there and focus on the photography!
2014-12-16
Use props
digitalcaveman
lvl.1
United States

teedo757@yahoo. Posted at 2014-12-16 23:35
Controller runs on 5.8 Ghz - Totally separate from the video link/app

Your phone connects to the wi ...

Thanks so much. . .really helpful stuff!!
2014-12-16
Use props
digitalcaveman
lvl.1
United States

umpa Posted at 2014-12-17 00:45
lol - I just love your other videos with the Didgeridoo - that was you playing right ?

Yes! That's me. . .can't wait to get some aerials of playing didgeridoo on the beach!! LOL!
2014-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules