Also, Tutorial on mounting the X5 to the Inspire 1

2015-10-3
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its good but to me the x3 looks better. The X5 footage looks out of focus compared to the x3 when viewing in 4k on retina macbook pro, specifically the cliffs shot. It might just be the default settings have sharpness turned down or something, so we need some more tests.
2015-10-4
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

I thought the same thing. Softer feel on the X5.
2015-10-4
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thought it went both ways but the X3 looked better on average.
2015-10-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

You need to see it on a big screen.  Play close attention to the dark areas along the cliffs.  
2015-10-4
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yeah weird, the X3 footage does look better.  Also the dynamic range looked very similar as well.  I guess the 12 stops of DR is only for the X5r?  Maybe this video will help convince DJI to put in a better compression for the X5.

Very happy to have saved $2500 and longer flight times!

2015-10-4
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

The opportunity to use a better lens on a larger sensor is appealing from a stills capture perspective, but I don't discern a viable benefit to my use cases on the video side of things.
As it stands, I'll stay with the X3 and seek to improve my picture taking to maximise what capabilities are there now. The case for an upgrade to X5 isn't worthwhile for me.

When a need arises for a big quality improvement or other capabilities such as zoom or thermal, I'll look to an alternative platform as a complement to the Inspire.

X5r is not applicable at all to me - but I'm very happy for those here in the film/tv production space who should get a big increase in usability from the platform.
2015-10-4
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

the DR does looks better on X5 for sure, especially on the last shots of the dark area. rather than that, i did not see any much better x5 over x3, so not really worth for 2 grant for my own opinion.  
2015-10-4
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing and hopefully you can try some more settings .. then post the results.

How was your total flight time using the TB-47 battery as compared to the X3 version? Or did you use the TB-48?

Thanks
Rich
2015-10-4
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So, having watched this on a 4K panel (understanding that YouTube isn't the best delivery mechanism), my thoughts are:

- I don't agree the X3 footage looks better. It's sometimes not "worse", but I don't think it's ever "better".
- On the contrary, the X5 looks better in some shots, for sure.
- I think the grading and processing has a lot to do with how similar looking the two images can be at times.
- X5 DOES have noticeably better dynamic range, as DJI said it would. Shadows in the darker shots, especially, show this off.
- The X3 footage is definitely the X3 we know and "love" - aggressive sharpening with ugly aliasing.
- The X5 is definitely "softer" but I'm wondering if this was because of the capture settings. Is the sharpness on the X5 implemented differently than the X3 or were the settings just turned way down for this footage?

I'd love to know what the settings were for sharpening, log/colour profile, etc. Would help to determine if this was a true side by side comparison or if the X5 was just being shot and processed poorly. Overall, there are some improvements in the X5 footage for sure but again, without seeing the original MP4/MOV files and knowing what settings were being used it's hard to compare them properly.

That said...

As it stands I'm strongly leaning to the idea that the X5 is a bit of a misstep by DJI.

Based on what I've seen so far in terms of raw footage, DJI released footage, and the initial customer footage coming out there are just many shortcomings to justify $2500 CAD for this unit. Even if you assume the gimbal accounts for $500 of the price, the footage we've seen so far in no way suggests that $2000 worth of camera is at work here.

To be clear - the dollar amount doesn't bother me. I'm willing to pay a lot more than $2500 for a camera that delivers an image that is worth what's being asked for it. This isn't an issue of cost, it's one of value. The X5 seems like a very incremental upgrade over the X3, except costing 5x the money (in CAD).

If DJI priced the X5 in the $1000 (CAD) range (without a lens, of course) I'd probably have ordered one sight unseen based on the spec sheet alone. But $2500 (no lens)? The X5 just isn't in that league based on everything we've been shown so far.

Waiting to see what the X5R can do.
2015-10-4
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-5 07:58
So, having watched this on a 4K panel (understanding that YouTube isn't the best delivery mechanism) ...

If DJI had introduced a similar camera to the X3 with a higher bitrate, customers would be queueing around the block.
2015-10-4
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

JerryLaurence Posted at 2015-10-5 03:06
If DJI had introduced a similar camera to the X3 with a higher bitrate, customers would be queuein ...

+1

This was the biggest problem with the X3 and now it is the biggest problem with the X5.
2015-10-4
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-5 08:58
So, having watched this on a 4K panel (understanding that YouTube isn't the best delivery mechanism) ...

Fully agree, really don t understand why DJI not changed the video engine it s the threshold for a professional video system and a shame for the high quality level (glass and sensor) of the X5.

2015-10-5
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-5 14:58

and the big boys have started to chime in...always value your opinion SP.
2015-10-5
Use props
Paul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-4 14:15
Its good but to me the x3 looks better. The X5 footage looks out of focus compared to the x3 when vi ...

I
I thought the skies had much better colour definition on the X5 and also the cliff colours looked more natural - I suppose because of the greater DR.
As others have said though could just be in the settings.
2015-10-5
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Netherlands

Found this;  XAVC S codec, which records video at a high data rate of 100 Mbps during 4K recording =RX 100 IV with 3rd party gimbal and remote for zoom tilt etc.
total about 3.000 Euro
However if DJI will supply the X5 with that XAVC S 100mbps codec or equal I would prefer the X5 due to the better lens and sensor
2015-10-5
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess the real test will be with the X5R
2015-10-5
Use props
AllanVB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

I to ordered the x5 - but, now I am not so sure it is the way to go.  Dronexpert has a Inspire gimbal for the Sony RX100 - oh boy, decisions - decisions......
2015-10-5
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JerryLaurence Posted at 2015-10-5 03:06
If DJI had introduced a similar camera to the X3 with a higher bitrate, customers would be queuein ...

For sure. I'd have credit card in hand for an X5 shooting 10-bit video with a sane amount of bandwidth, even at the price they're asking. Not that this automatically means a better image - there are lots of 8-bit / 24Mbps AVCHD cameras available that are looking A LOT better than the X5 for a lot less money. I'm not sure where DJI has gone wrong with the X5 but they definitely seem to have done just that...

Don't get me wrong: I definitely notice the optical improvements the larger sensor and superior lens are providing on the X5. The problem is, I'm also seeing the camera processing negatively offset most of these improvements.

Hoping this isn't the end-all / be-all of the X5. Nobody has done a tear-down so I'd love to know if this is just poor firmware on pre-production units and DJI intends to fix this or if the basic X5 really is just an X3 with a better lens and sensor. That'd be kinda sad.

2015-10-5
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

AllanVB Posted at 2015-10-5 10:16
I to ordered the x5 - but, now I am not so sure it is the way to go.  Dronexpert has a Inspire gimba ...

Wow i thpught DJI could only make gimbals for the Inspire 1.  

http://dronexpert.nl/product/sony-rx100-gimbal-for-matrice-100-and-inspire-1/
2015-10-5
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Netherlands

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2015-10-5 19:02
Wow i thpught DJI could only make gimbals for the Inspire 1.  

http://dronexpert.nl/product/sony- ...

And with the R100 IV (including the dronexpert gimbal) you also have a complete 20 mp foto video camera for all purposes incuding sound, a second controller for tilt, zoom, shutter speed etc. Just have to find out how it performs in operation with the I1.
2015-10-5
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

enkhome Posted at 2015-10-5 15:08
And with the R100 IV (including the dronexpert gimbal) you also have a complete 20 mp foto video ca ...

Same.  Trying to find a complete review of it.  Looks like a great alternative to the X5.
2015-10-6
Use props
kcobello
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190 ft
United States

My question is what good is sound when you have prop noise in flight?  Another.  I have 2 Sony RX's the 1 and 3.  The one doesn't have a fixed aperture so zoom is out unless you want varying exposure stints in your video.  The 3 is fixed aperture but doesn't seem as good as the 1.  They heat up and shut off after so much video, its another battery to work with.  Give the X5 a chance. I would hope firmware may help the issues if its not just the problem between the chair and keyboard
2015-10-6
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I think the people saying the X3 looks better are looking at the wrong aspects.   The X5 clearly makes a better picture, but with the bump in quality comes great responsibility for the operator.   For the first time we introduce focus and depth of field.   On a phone or tablet everything is going to look crisp until you get home and say "damn, missed the focus..."    There will need to be a big learning curve for knowing what the focus needs to be without seeing it on screen.

Second, the field of view on the X5 is tighter, and since I'm guessing the two shots were taken from the same point of view the X5 footage is less interesting because you don't see the surrounding landscape, which in those shots were much more interesting on the X3 but could have easily been done on the X5 from further away.

Next is grading.  The shots were not graded the same, leaving the X5 looking flat.   Never judge a camera based on how someone graded the footage, it makes no sense.   I can make a 5DMIII look better than a Red Epic if I want.

I've seen unprocessed X5 footage and I know that if it's shot and graded properly it is far superior to the X3.   

You can also see vast improvements in the compression.  Even though it has the same bitrate, if you feed a CODEC a cleaner image you will get better compression.   Just a fact.

So I wouldn't use this comparison for a purchasing decision.   But it does show that that pilot/camera person needs to work harder to achieve the best results, which is true of any advanced camera.
2015-10-7
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-7 03:39
I think the people saying the X3 looks better are looking at the wrong aspects.   The X5 clearly mak ...

That is right!. The problem with a better camera is that is not just a point and shot one!. There is a learning curve. And of course, the depth of field of the new lenses will give a lot of better/professional shots, but also a lot of miss/unsharp shots when using it at wrong aperture. I wonder if those footages were made in auto ASA setting. I think that using higher ASA you can have better management of the aperture and get better depth of field for landscape shots. And the X5 can go much higher in ASA than X3
2015-10-7
Use props
Ozren
lvl.3

Croatia

Quick and short review. X5 is NOT worth the money as its not really a big bump in quality, and X5R, even if it produces better quality image, is still way (way way way way way * 500) overpriced.
2015-10-8
Use props
vicart.d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9088 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi,

I do some test.
screen  X5  4K 100iso

screen X3 4K 100iso

and vidéo :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ewaf ... rUwQwvQQfT2Mua?dl=0

2015-10-11
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-10-4 14:55
You need to see it on a big screen.  Play close attention to the dark areas along the cliffs.

That is more an effect of the contrast range rather than image sharpness, isn't it?
2015-10-13
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

capalvch@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-7 05:04
That is right!. The problem with a better camera is that is not just a point and shot one!. There  ...

How can the aperture be incorrect if shot at infinity?
2015-10-13
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

Aerographis Posted at 2015-10-14 01:12
How can the aperture be incorrect if shot at infinity?

Even if focussed at infinity the Depth of Field will change with aperture.
And if you want to focus on something in the foreground and throw the background out of focus, or vice versa, you will have to select the correct aperture and the point in the picture where you focus will become critical.  All whilst flying and staring at a screen which maybe in full sunlight.  
This is what the post is discussing.  The chances of a great shot are increased by the fuller camera control, but the chances of a failed shot are far greater because of the new complexities involved.
2015-10-14
Use props
capalvch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71125 ft
Venezuela

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-14 15:20
And if you want to focu ...

That is right!. And if you want to have everything in focus you will need an aperture around f/11 and the focus in a point not exactly in the infinite
2015-10-14
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.2

United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-10-14 12:50
And if you want to focu ...

The point I am getting at is that SOME part of the image (infinity) would be in focus. The videos have NOTHING in focus. I am wondering if perhaps users are not using the appropriate sharpening techniques with the new format. I think the RAW users will have a learning curve to travel when that camera is released.
2015-10-16
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

All of the X3 to X5 comparison videos so far have not seem to do the X5 any justice. Where is this huge bump in image quality, dynamic range and detail that is so boasted about on the X5? Besides a change in focal length I don't see any videos that compare both cameras showing the X5 as a far superior camera.
2015-10-18
Use props
arrinick.hotmai
New
Flight distance : 158655 ft
United States

As a professional cinematographer, the x5 footage just instantly looks better. Richer, more dynamic range, just feels better. From a purely technical point of view, the ability to set your shutter speed to a normal time (1/48th-1/50th) and then set your exposure via f stop is a huge win.   I shot all day with the x5 shooting grey hounds racing at a track. Was leading the dogs at 6' altitude and 39 mph and the footage looks fantastic. Cant wait to get a 25mm lens.

Nick
2015-10-18
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the average user, the X3 is by far the better value for the money.
2015-10-19
Use props
pi.productions
lvl.1
Flight distance : 831247 ft
Australia

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-10-20 12:12
For the average user, the X3 is by far the better value for the money.

Sharpness and Sharpening are two different animals. As a Photographer and Videographer for many years, it was quite an eye opener when calibrating monitors, TVs and projectors - step 1, reduce or remove all 'sharpness' control. Sharpening an image, by definition adds edges which blur the subsequent pixels, thereby REDUCING the detail. Once you are used to an Unsharpened image you will see far more detail. I am certainly keen to try the X5. Both for its dynamic range and lens options. In Australia we have strict proximity restrictions for RPASs (remote piloted aircraft systems) near to people, buildings and vehicles. No closer than 30M. I currently shoot at 4K to allow for cropping down to standard HD, giving the appearance of being closer. Unfortunately, the X3 cropped to 1080 looks more like standard definition than a good 1080 image. The X5 with its better optics promises an improved cropped to 1080 image. On top of that, the narrower field of view with different lenses lets me get apparently closer to the talent or other subject.
2016-2-24
Use props
rob.skywayvisio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 663 ft
United States

you see the difference in the sunset shot ...  X3 has blown out sun ..X5 gets it because of better dynamic range ... 90 % of shot are fine with X3
2016-3-4
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Ozren Posted at 2015-10-9 03:37
Quick and short review. X5 is NOT worth the money as its not really a big bump in quality, and X5R,  ...

Sorry, I totally disagree. I have had the X5 for 4 months now and love the full color, better dynamic range. There are a lot of negative posters who don't own a X5 or want to support competitors
2016-3-4
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

I think a lot of people confuse wide dynamic range with poor picture quality........contrast always wows, and in the TV game engineers would often crush the blacks to make the picture jump out and even look sharper......this is the case with the X3 I feel....... It puts out great pictures for the available data, but there is overall much less detail available to work with in the polishing process.Pictures out of high dynamic range cameras always tend to look flatter due to the lack of contrast.....filling in those spots with detail rather than just detailless black or white area's.
The X5 on the other hand tends to look flatter and jumps out less until you work some magic in post. Its then that extra Data comes into play, and with skilled grading it way surpasses the X3 pictures.
Some extra recorded Data would be welcome, and I too am waiting for the X5R to see the kind of results I need to mix the birds output with other much higher spec ground based camera's effectively.....we can only home its a home run.
2016-3-6
Use props
mikael
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24199 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi, I have a I1 Pro with the X5 camera. Right now its not functioning properly. Enough about that.

But, does anyone know if it is possible for me to buy a X3 camera and switch between the X3 and X5 with ease? This would be a great thing for me. Partly for having a low cost backup cam but also for being able to use the X3 when I want a couple of extra minutes of flight time or when I would like to shoot some video without having to have to overheat my brain with all the X5 settings.

Can I just have the two cams and switch between them?

2016-3-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules