Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bengalboy69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone else has an issue with their Phantom 2 Vision+ losing camera functionality and camera connection to DJI Vision app on Smartphone? I am running latest version 3.08 on my Version 3.0 Vision+. I'm using a HTC One (M8) with latest Vision android application. Remote controller and WiFi range extender all fully charged and operating normally. My problem seems to only have recently started and basically is described as a loss of any camera control after taking a photo in RAW or possibly two or three photos before loss of functionality. The experience goes like this:

When flying the Vision+ V3.0 I am having no issues with recording video. Turning video on/off while in flight does not affect the "camera view" from the Phantom's camera to my Smartphone. I never lose vision of the camera view or FPV of Phantom. However, if I stop recording video and take a photo in RAW format, the Vision app on my Smartphone goes *black* and may stay black for 10 seconds approximately before the Vision app begins to show the "camera view" and full functionality of the camera controls resumes. At this point, I can touch the *camera* icon or the *video* icon to activate the shutter or recording. I've never had a problem in the first month of owership except the huge delay after taking a photo. However, yesterday I was flying at evening and took a RAW photo after recording video. At this point the lag in writing the file and getting a *camera view* back on the screen of my Smartphone seemed longer than usual and when I started to take another photo the icons for *camera* and *video* were grayed out and non-functioning, although, the red record light flashed within the *video* icon that was grayed out. The camera indeed writes a file during this bug, but, it is corrupted and unplayable. Today I had the same issue happen again, and, on a 2nd flight after stopping video I was able to take 3 RAW photos before the Vision app went *black*. The "camera view" function never returned and I had to fly by eyesight to bring the Phantom back to me. The sudden loss of *camera vision* while flying really concerns me because I rely on it to bring my Phantom back when flying beyond my eyesight to avoid disorientation and trouble landing in small clearings.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure what else to do except stop taking RAW photos when I fly or making sure I don't get the Phantom too far away when I choose to take photos instead of video.
2014-12-16
Use props
Dboy
lvl.3

China

Hi, seldom sees the similar issue that happened on your drone
normally, the image would only have a short frozen rather than such a long image-loss
The wifi module in your craft may be malfunctioned. try to contact your dealer
2014-12-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Two suggestions come to mind:
   1) In the camera settings, Set the Preview Quality to 320x240@15fps (this does not affect the quality that the camera is actually set to, only the preview image)
   2) I discovered a little glitch after I would remove SD card to transfer the video files to my computer.  Sometimes when I would reinsert the SD card it wasn't making good contact and I would get symptoms like the video wouldn't appear or it wouldn't record.  Now, the first thing I do when opening the DJI app is to go into the album folder and see if the app can actually read from the SD card album, if I get the little "waiting" circle that means the card doesn't have a good connection so I shut down the Phantom, then eject-install-eject-install-eject-install the SD card.  Then it's restart the Phantom and retry the DJI App again.
2014-12-19
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for the suggestions regarding the seating of the Micro SD card in the Phantom's camera.  With regard to them both, the preview quality is at the lower resolution you suggested.  Before purchasing I had read about the long lag time after taking a RAW photo and have always flown with it at the lowest resolution setting.  As for your second suggestion, I agree, seating of the SD card could cause an issue, though, it is hard for me to understand why it can record so well in video mode prior to stopping the video function and then taking photos in RAW?  Also, it didn't happen after the first RAW photo was taken, rather, three (3) RAW photos were taken before loss of the camera view in Vision app.  Prior to the loss of complete vision, I had a flight in which the video/camera icons became gray and inoperative, though, the red (recording) light was flashing within the video icon.  The Phantom's camera was indeed writing a file, though, it was corrupted and unreadable.  This graying out of the video/camera icons with a red (recording) has happened almost everytime after taking a RAW photo since upgrading my Phantom's central board firmware a couple weeks ago.  Prior to this update, I never encountered this issue.  I agree that the corrupted files suggest that a SD card error could be a possible culprit, but, why would the the failure cause the camera to automatically begin recording in video?  *again, this file is corrupted and unplayable*  

It only happens when I take a RAW photo,,, it only began occuring after I upgraded the central board firmware,, *I flew for about 3 weeks before this upgrade with no issues other than lag after taking a RAW*,  the camera/video icons gray out becoming inoperable in the Vision app although everything else works/displays properly,  the video icon displays a red *recording* light and a file is indeed being written, although, that file is corrupted.

Its a nuisance to be flying and lose the ability to switch between video and photos after taking a RAW image.... Its dangerous and quite Frightening to lose your "Vision"  after taking a RAW photo!  I will be extra attentive to inserting my SD card in the future, but, if it were the card not being seated properly, I don't understand why the video recording continures to work so smoothly with no issues of turning on,,, turning off,,,, turning on,,,, etc.  Only when I take the RAW photo do I experience the issue of loss of camera functionality,,, and in one extreme occurance,,,, Loss of Vision!
2014-12-20
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I flew today for the first time since I had the camera control and vision issue.  On two separate flights using full battery I took video and RAW photos intermittently with no issues.  RAW camera lag was still there on the phone screen after taking a photo, but, no "graying of the keys" for the camera/video icons on the Vision app or loss of vision.  

I shut down and restarted my phone before bonding with the Vision+ and made sure I firmly seated the Micro SD card.  Everything worked as it should.  A Gremlin?
2014-12-20
Use props
mckiper
New

United States

Happens to me also. I'm getting fed up. On my 3rd bird and second 3.0
2014-12-20
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

After a couple days of Christmas time flying, I experienced the dreaded "gray out" of the keys and a loss of vision. With my Phantom in line of sight, I was not worried about closing the camera app and checking the connection status of the Phantom to my Smartphone. Backing out of the "Camera" and into the "Home" screen, I looked to check if the Phantom was still connected.... it was. I then re-opened the "Camera" app and to my surprise, the video and camera keys were competely functional again and my Vision from the drone was restored. This technique of regaining control over grayed out keys and loss of vision has now been used on a couple more occassions after taking RAW photos and losing control of the video/camera icons as well as a complete loss of vision. Apparently, this is a bug or crash in the Vision app on the Smartphone and can be recovered from simply by closing the camera menu and returning to the home screen, then, reopening the camera app. So, now I can fly with confidence that should this glitch or crash in the app occur in the future, I can recover control of my ability to capture video and RAW photos, as well as recover Vision in those exteme cases where the glitch cuts the camera feed.
2014-12-27
Use props
Paras
lvl.2

Spain

It used to happen to my phantom 2v+ before it flew away
2014-12-28
Use props
nick.soefje.gma
lvl.1

United States

Paras Posted at 2014-12-28 23:55
It used to happen to my phantom 2v+ before it flew away

Sorry about your loss. No pun intended!
2015-2-23
Use props
nick.soefje.gma
lvl.1

United States

Same thing is happening to me except non of my files are corrupt. Tonight was the first time I changed the camera from JPG to RAW. When I take a photo in RAW as soon as I can see the screen again on my iPhone the Phantom decides to start recording video. I let it record for 45 seconds one time and the video was not corrupt.

The question is why does it start recording video after taking a RAW photo?
Sounds like a SW bug to me.

Any update DJI ????
2015-2-23
Use props
nick.soefje.gma
lvl.1

United States

Interesting, I sent this question off to DJI. I received a quick reply stating that I need to send my Phantom to them under an RMA for repair.

I'm having a hard time understanding why I would need to send the unit for repair. If I take photos in JPG no problem, when I switch to RAW and take a photo then the videi starts.

Still sounds like a SW issue to me.

I have heard of too many stories of people sending their Phantom to DJI and not hearing anything for months and no Phantom to fly.

I'm going to try to get more info out of them before I send it off.

Let me know if others are interested in this or not.

Nick
2015-2-24
Use props
nick.soefje.gma
lvl.1

United States

What a joke, DJI will not take the time to do any troubleshooting on the phone.... or at least the tech I had on the phone. The blanket statement was send it in and you will get it back in 2-3 weeks.
I had an issue 3 weeks ago after a firmware update where the camera would no longer tilt up and down. DJI wanted me to send the Phantom in (2-3 week waiting period) so they could fix it.
I called B&H "where I purchased the Phantom" and their tech support troubleshot the unit with me and in 30 mins we had it figured out.

Come on DJI....rethink your support model.
2015-2-24
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

nick.soefje.gma Posted at 2015-2-23 17:23
Same thing is happening to me except non of my files are corrupt. Tonight was the first time I chang ...

Nick, I get the same thing. In the app, I went to camera, when connection breaks & changed from start recording to Stay idle. That has stopped the annoying start of recording every time I take a photo in Raw. I talked to someone at UAV Direct & they said it is most likely a SW issue. I was worked about my wifi being bad & he said no it does not appear to be that due to it only has a problem once it is finished with a raw image.
I have a email off to DJI & received a message that my case has been sent to the appropriate people & they will contact me.
2015-2-24
Use props
bengalboy69.gma
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It is not a software issue, the camera is doing exactly what you are telling it to do in the "settings" menu.  If you uncheck "record on loss of Wifi connection" the video will no longer start to record after taking a RAW photo sometimes.  The fact it begins to record a video sometimes after taking a RAW photo confirms that the Vision+ has lost its WiFi connection with the Vision app.  Remember, don't panic, simply back out of the "photo" app into the main menu and then restart it.  That will reset the photo application and all features will work again including the video stream.  I am very confident that its not so much software, rather, a hardware issue.  The image processor simply doesn't have the cycles to process a 25mb RAW file and maintain a video stream to the Vision app consistently.  I installed the FPV Booster app which has helped this issue somewhat, but, it still will crash the Vision app on occassion.
2015-2-28
Use props
karim.s.basma
New

Lebanon

hey guys i have a phantom 2 v+ am whenever i fly the v app shut down and the cam freezes when the drone gets a bit higher untill it comes lower do anyone knows abt my situation? plz help
2016-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules