Is it possible to cut the motors mid-flight, in an emergency?
11709 47 2015-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8fa862ed
lvl.1
Flight distance : 797060 ft
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-6 01:53
Boinggggg!  I think my brain just stripped a gear...  

Can you paint for me the scenario where cutting the motors in mid flight is the better action in an emergency?!?  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Phantom sacrifice  option.

I need to cut the motors of a Mavic Pro during an in flight hand catch on a moving sailboat. There is no deck landing space.
2017-1-23
Use props
MrWonderful
New

United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-6 01:53
Boinggggg!  I think my brain just stripped a gear...  

Can you paint for me the scenario where cutting the motors in mid flight is the better action in an emergency?!?  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the Phantom sacrifice  option.

Yes, I can.  I just had my first indoor accident.  I took off in my living room, after getting too comfortable with the rock-solid stability of the Mavic Pro.  I did a manual lift-off, and didn't continue climbing, but rather stopped less than a foot off the ground.  Apparently, I've never seen 'ground effect' before with this unit and it drifted sideways (less than a foot) and got tangled in my backpack strap.  It flipped upside-down and both front arms refolded and I panicked.  I eventually got my hand under it and turned the battery off on the unit, but two of the props were stalled for several seconds.  I wish I had practiced the 'motor off drill' before this happened.  Live and learn, I suppose.
2017-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans8fa862ed Posted at 2017-1-23 01:45
I need to cut the motors of a Mavic Pro during an in flight hand catch on a moving sailboat. There is no deck landing space.

How do you take off ?
You can just put your hand out flat bring the Mavic down onto your hand and cut the motors, be careful..
Good luck
2017-2-2
Use props
ebennb
lvl.2

United States

Sweet. m600 has changed their midflight csc command to "Push left stick to the bottom inside corner and press the RTH button at the same time." That is great, and much less likely to cause total crash when playing around with its performance during flight.
2017-3-18
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

There is a video where a CSC has been recovered. Many have tried and failed though.  
2017-3-18
Use props
fans191c7f8f
New
Flight distance : 394 ft
New Zealand

I just did the emergency stop yesterday as a prop broke or something went wrong but the mavic went nuts by stopping the motors it saved alot of grinding when it hit the ground
2017-5-28
Use props
john.g
New

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-10-6 06:55
You're at the beach, just launched your Phantom and it heads out directly away from shore. (Hopefully, it's a lake - apparently salt water will pretty well destroy your Phantom - or any other quad.) If the RTH doesn't work either, retrieving the Phantom close to shore seems somewhat better than watching it just fly off into the distance.

If it runs away over land, you might get lucky. I crashed a quad once during my learning process. I was flying in a wind too strong for me - should not have been flying at all - and it started to get away from me. I corrected in the wrong direction and it actually sped up - still going away from me. In a panic, I stopped the motors. The quad fell through several limbs, leaves and moss, and crashed into the street. Amazingly, there was some damage to the quad but the camera survived. The craft was obviously over a tree and about 40 feet up when I cut the motors.

I agree.  The more we understand the options available the more likely to save AC in emergency situation
2017-5-30
Use props
djiuser_NduLy0IpFyiH
New
Flight distance : 4101 ft
United States

I had a motor go out which made one side of the drone to drop, then the other 3 motors at full blast made the drone spiral to the ground at full blast. I would have preferred cutting the engines and let it hit the ground with only gravity force, there would have been less damage.
2018-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules