The Apple app should already be ready or...
2638 13 2014-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MTShipp
lvl.2

United States

I thought I would share this with the forum for those not aware. Also, I tried searching the forum to see if this had been previously mentioned.

Apple shuts down the Apple Connect service on December 22 until December 30 for holidays. This means that no new apps can be submitted between that time. It does mean you can schedule a release for a date during that window but it must already be an approved version of the application.

So, you may ask, what does this mean?

Well, to me it means that either DJI already has the application submitted to Apple and approved and are just waiting to pull the trigger to release it. Or, if it has not yet been approved and it is not done so by the 18th, then we will not be seeing the Apple app before the 30th.

Not trying to be a Debbie-downer. Just pointing out some things.

You can see for yourself here -> iTunes Connect Schedule

2014-12-16
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

Good point.  My iOS Software company is in a mad rush to get as much submitted before the shutdown as possible. I HOPE DJI will release the App  Ship Inspires before the App Store closes down, but I think that DJI is only starting PRODUCTION next week - so it does not look good...
2014-12-16
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

I highly doubt the app will be downloaded from the App Store. Similar to the Lighrbdige app where you have to download it from the DJI website, I doubt Apple will approve it because they do not allow apps to have video in which is one of the key components of this app. So DJI will bypass the App Store and offer the download as a direct link to there own ftp... Usually they will give a QR code to download it quicker without having to type the lengthy link...
2014-12-16
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I'm standing by my sad prediction that there won't be any Inspired before Jan 15. So the dateline is probably irrelevant. This information convinces me even more. It doesn't make me happy...but I feel it'a realistic.
2014-12-16
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

Apple certainly does allow "video" in 3rd party Apps.  Video player apps, Baby monitors, and many many more apps have no issues with streaming video - there is nothing in the developers documentation forbidding it.  And while I'm not saying that DJI won't do it (and isn't already doing it), it's against Apple App Store Policy to publicly distribute an App via a link using an enterprise account to sign the binary and side-load apps that aren't available in the App store.

DJI will have to get it into the App store, or Apple will come down on them.
2014-12-16
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

AcesAreWld Posted at 2014-12-17 08:19
Apple certainly does allow "video" in 3rd party Apps.  Video player apps, Baby monitors, and many ma ...

are these apps doing it wirelessly or wired?
2014-12-16
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

Gorilla Drone Posted at 2014-12-17 08:27
are these apps doing it wirelessly or wired?

Both. The important thing about this app (and the lightbridge app as well) is that it is MFi Certified.

MFi = Made For iPod/iPhone/iPad/i... It is Apple's way of being a gatekeeper to what 3rd party accessories are certified to work with their iOS devices. There is an application process, then you must buy the MFi authentication chips from Apple's approved supplier, make your MFi certified device, then build a MFi certified App (DJI is also working on a MFi certified Inspire SDK).  It's a whole process, and developing software for 3rd party MFi devices is what my company does.

Usually we focus on barcode scanners, credit card readers, printers, etc - but the LightBridge and Inspire1 remote is no different.

We are experts in iOS software development and MFi. Some examples of what we do:
DryrainTechnologies.com
CoverIDapp.com
captuvobrowser.com
mfibrowser.com
AscentERP.com
mobile-flex.com
etc...
2014-12-16
Use props
kennethdward
New

United States

Gorilla Drone Posted at 2014-12-17 08:08
I highly doubt the app will be downloaded from the App Store. Similar to the Lighrbdige app where yo ...

Not sure how you download an IOS app outside of the App Store unless your on a jailbroken device.  Gorilla Drone where did you get your info?
2014-12-16
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

kennethdward Posted at 2014-12-17 09:59
Not sure how you download an IOS app outside of the App Store unless your on a jailbroken device.  ...

Try to download the DJI Lightbridge app from the App Store, and then go to DJI website and go to downloads under LIGHTBRIDGE...
2014-12-16
Use props
AcesAreWld
lvl.2

United States

kennethdward Posted at 2014-12-17 09:59
Not sure how you download an IOS app outside of the App Store unless your on a jailbroken device.  ...

DJI has an Enterprise App Developer license from Apple which allows them to create signed Apps that they can send users a link to.  When you click that link on the iOS device it prompts you asking if you'd like to install the App.  This only works for internal development builds or if you have an Enterprise developer account with Apple, but distributing an App to the public this way is against Apple's policy.
2014-12-16
Use props
ambambcopter
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gorilla Drone Posted at 2014-12-17 10:17
Try to download the DJI Lightbridge app from the App Store, and then go to DJI website and go to d ...

Agree, that's how I downloaded Lightbridge.
Maybe they get round things by that noticeable disclaimer.
2014-12-16
Use props
s.s.gibbs1
lvl.2

United States

upon delivery the units will have a Q.R. code in the literature do download the app. not sure if that is for mac though.
2014-12-17
Use props
kennethdward
New

United States

Gorilla Drone Posted at 2014-12-17 10:17
Try to download the DJI Lightbridge app from the App Store, and then go to DJI website and go to d ...

Don't see a DJI Lightbridge app in the iOS app store?
2014-12-18
Use props
Gorilla Drone
lvl.2

United States

kennethdward Posted at 2014-12-19 06:51
Don't see a DJI Lightbridge app in the iOS app store?

i know, that was the point, you can only download it through the dji website
2014-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules