FPV Goggles-Suggestions?
1629 4 2015-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrw134
New

United States

I am going to buy a pair of fpv goggles, so far the best two candidates are the Zeiss Cinemizers, and the Fatshark Dominator HD goggles. I would like opinions of which pair to buy, or maybe suggestions on other/better goggles! Thanks
2015-10-6
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

After a two and a half month wait for my HeadPlay goggles to arrive, they finally showed up today. They are sitting in a opened and picked through box next to my desk at work, so I can't tell you how well they work, yet. I have read a lot of information about them. One comment that always stood out was that they are solid and very light. I have to concur. I look forward to plugging them in when I get home from work.

The wait to get them is long, hopefully they are worth the wait.

I may respond here with my findings or start a new thread or even find one that has already been started.

2015-10-6
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-6 12:54
Have you worked out how to maintain VLOS with your aircraft whilst wearing the HP?

I'd like to ch ...

My plan was never to wear them. My plan was always to figure out a way to mount to a tripod then lean in to them for a quick view for setting up the shot. Then back out for VLOS.

I am thinking of using one of my GoPro tripod attachments, I just haven't figured out exactly how. Now that I have the HP in hand I can work out the details. I am thinking it should be fairly straightforward.

I am also going to be charging admission to the show at the flying field until I recoup the cost the HP. $1.00 gets you 10 seconds of viewing. NEXT!!!
2015-10-6
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I got the HP hooked up and had to use both filters to get a decently fuzzy view. If I put on my readers I can see better, but that is a little uncomfortable. It will be usable. Using both filters seems to push the info out to the edges, mostly at the bottom, so it requires a little more effort to see. The fpv data does fit within the frame without overscan, something I was worried about because there was overscan when hooked up to my black pearl monitor.

Next is trying to mount it to a tripod. The go pro mounts will work with a little carving. Trying to use one piece in the reverse of what it was intended for.

2015-10-6
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I emailed Range Video about getting a more powerful fresnel lens to get me over the hump on the focus issue. Here is the response with a possible solution which I am going to try:

Can’t help you find another fresnel lense, but I can show you what one of our other customers came up with:

Carson brand, purchased at Amazon. Available in various magnifications. I bought several magnifications,and as it ended up I needed the most powerful one made, a 4.0
http://www.amazon.com/Carson-Pow ... eywords=carson+flip
Simply removed the flip mechanism.
Tie 2 Ty-wraps around the lens center bar and cinch them tight, sticking straight up.
Lightly pull the center elastic strap away from the Headplays, and insert the Ty-wraps up through. One slipped in, they will not come loose

It helped to split the Headplays to prevent accidentally dropping the cheaters onto the soft fresnel. It could be done without splitting, but it made me more comfortable.

Unless the user can focus on the little black dots on the color palette in the Headplay menu, then your image is going to be fuzzy/degraded and you may not even know that it can be improved.

I hope this trick can help out other “over 40” old farts – LOL
Its the best $11 upgrade!

2015-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules