Zenmuse GH3 Firmware Upgrade. No FPV after single shutter release.
1346 7 2015-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
soggybear
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

I am seriously wishing I had not upgraded anything! Everything was working 2 days ago and had been for many months. This was the setup:
A2 flight controller with firmware 2.4m1
Z15-GH3 Gimbal which had a very early version of firmware (possibly before 1.0)
iOSD mk 2 with firmware 3.01. I am not using Lightbridge.
I use a Futaba 14SG Tx with connected via D-Bus. (Using the Futaba RX and the A2, I get more channels)

Monday I upgraded the A2 controller to the latest version 2.6. Then the fun began...

I no longer had control of the shutter. I figured the Zenmuse gimbal needed updating too so I updated the gimbal to the latest GCU firmware version 2.6 and IMU firmware 1.12. The shutter still did not work. I then realized from the manual that the gimbal had to be connected to Can 2 with this version so I did that. Still no shutter.

After reading various forums, I managed to roll back to A2 Controller firmware version 2.4. The shutter worked again.

My happiness was short lived when I realised that after one click of the shutter, the picture never returned on the FPV. If I cycle the power, the FPV works again until I press the shutter and the screen loses the feed from the camera but the iOSD information remains (satellites, height, distance...)

I have tried rolling back the gimbal firmware by using an earlier version of the gimbal assistant but the earliest version of the GCU firmware available seems to be 2.4. Is there a way of getting an earlier firmware version?

I am also a commercial operator in the UK and I really need this to work properly as soon as possible. Has anyone figured how to roll back to an early version of GCU firmware  for the Z-15 GH3 which works??
The screenshots are how things are set up at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

A2 Assistant.jpg
Gimbal Assistant.jpg
2015-10-7
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

send me a PM and I'll send you some instructions for the gcu...I've been waiting to update myself and was afraid there may be an issue with the GH3...now I see you discovered one
2015-10-7
Use props
soggybear
New

United Kingdom

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your response. I have made some progress but it is still not as good as it was before I tried updating the firmware.

It has been  suggested that AUX1 on the Zenmuse being disconnected was the problem so I connected it to a free channel and set it to off. Now when I activate the shutter the video goes off. If I cycle AUX1 on and then off again, the video returns. For the moment, I have mapped both the shutter and Aux 1 to the same channel on the A2 Assistant so every time I activate the shutter, Aux1 cycles on/off and the video returns a 3 to 4 seconds later. it is a working solution but it is clumsy and I lose a channel by having Aux1 plugged in.

At this point, I would still be interested to find out if there is a way to roll back the Zenmuse firmware.

As for the A2, I have tried upgrading it again to 2.6 but I lose the shutter function on the Zenmuse. No matter what is connected or what I do, I can't get the shutter to work. I have rolled back the A2 firmware to 2.4 and that is where it is going stay until someone has sorted it out.

That is where things stand at the moment...
2015-10-9
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

soggybear Posted at 2015-10-9 04:43
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your response. I have made some progress but it is still not as good as it wa ...

whats your email?
2015-10-9
Use props
dennismurry08
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

soggybear Posted at 2015-10-9 04:43
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your response. I have made some progress but it is still not as good as it wa ...

Heres my email..just respond back. dennismurry08@comcast.net

Dennis
2015-10-13
Use props
soggybear
New

United Kingdom

Ok, so with the latest firmware on the gimbal and 2.4 on the A2 flight controller I have the following additional problems:

1. The gimbal no longer keeps the horizon. It will start level but as soon as you turn the UAV or roll it either way, the gimbal / camera loses the horizon. The instructions to the firmware upgrade say that if you place the UAV on a stable surface and toggle the mode switch you can get the gimbal to enter an auto calibration mode. When I toggle the mode switch, nothing happens.

2. I no longer have the gimbal orientation displayed on my fpv screen. It used to display the camera tilt, roll and direction measured in degrees. This has disappeared either with the Gimbal firmware upgrade or the iOSD firmware upgrade.

3. The orientation free mode does not work. It is supposed to keep the camera pointed in the same direction regardless of the orientation of the UAV. It worked before the firmware upgrade.

So what I am left with is a gimbal which does not keep the horizon; having to which AUX 1 on and off after each shutter release; No gimbal orientation on the iOSD.

DJI please help!
2015-10-26
Use props
soggybear
New

United Kingdom

Another update with issues 2 & 3. When I updated the A2 firmware the instructions said to plug the gimbal into CAN 2 instead of CAN 1. When I rolled back the firmware, I didn't change the wiring back. I have now just plugged the gimbal CAN cable into the iOSD (where it was originally) and the gimbal information is back on the FPV screen. The orientation free mode seems to work again too. As far as I know, I still have the horizon issue which is the critical issue but I will confirm once I have flown again.
2015-10-26
Use props
RupP
New

United Kingdom

soggybear Posted at 2015-10-26 15:30
Another update with issues 2 & 3. When I updated the A2 firmware the instructions said to plug the g ...

Did you ever get this sorted?
I have the same issues, though with nazaV2.
Need to find a way to return to earlier assistant and firmwear but unsure which or how.
Noted lack of help from dji here, is this normal?
2015-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules