The Ban On Drones Continue
1990 14 2014-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/bill-ban-drones-introduced-city-council-blog-entry-1.2047250

The bill would make illegal remote control aircraft flown by individuals for

fun, as well as drones deployed by corporations.

There have been 12 incidents in New York or near Newark Airport where pilots

reported drones zooming close to planes or helicopters, according to data released by the Federal
Aviation
Administration.

2014-12-17
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

New York City, apparently. That place isn't much like the rest of the US. Anyway, it's proposed legislation. Let us know if it ultimately turns into a NYC municipal ordinance.
2014-12-17
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

“We’re trying to protect New Yorkers and set up some reasonable rules in advance of their proliferation,” he said."

Banning Quads from any use other than law enforcement isn't "...set up some reasonable rules.."
Its an outright BAN.
Whats next? Banning soda drinks?...Oh...wait........
2014-12-17
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-18 01:19
“We’re trying to protect New Yorkers and set up some reasonable rules in advance of their prolifer ...

Banning drones within city limits and banning soda drinks is comparing apples and oranges.  There is no similarity there at all.
2014-12-17
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

MacCool Posted at 2014-12-18 00:53
New York City, apparently. That place isn't much like the rest of the US. Anyway, it's proposed legi ...

Will do.   I agree it isn't much like the rest of the US, but you can bet if it gets passed most major cities will follow.   

The chances of it going through at slim in my opinion.
2014-12-17
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

LIPHANTOM Posted at 2014-12-18 01:34
Will do.   I agree it isn't much like the rest of the US, but you can bet if it gets passed most m ...

I'm inclined to agree, about its likely passage as well as the silliness of the law in the first place. If they were trying to make a case for citizen safety from 200 lb flying drones (with or without Hellfire missiles) buzzing up and down 5th Avenue then I might be able to see their point. Banning 4 lb hobbyist R/C toys with a 20 minute battery capacity for the ostensible purpose of protecting privacy, especially in a city or any location where there are  already video cameras up the wazoo on every street corner, is totally absurd and indictative of the shrill over-reaction of ignorant politicians.
2014-12-17
Use props
jarek33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466696 ft
United States

well have to get to work then make some crazy pic and videos now bf i can't no more, i have faa id, maybe they won't bother me since i am air traffic controller
2014-12-17
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

MacCool Posted at 2014-12-18 01:38
I'm inclined to agree, about its likely passage as well as the silliness of the law in the first pl ...

Just another attack on our freedoms.   I laughed at the article text of "drones zooming past planes" as well.   Yeah,  sure they were.   

There will always be people who break the rules.  I think a ban on sports cars that travel faster than the speed limit should be next.   Those crazy drivers might just kill someone.   How many people have been killed by sports cars traveling faster than the speed limit compared to drones flying through NYC?  I mean its got to be close for them to even consider banning drones.   How many deaths or injuries by drones to date?

I hope you got my sarcasm.   Lets just hope cooler and smarter heads prevail.

2014-12-17
Use props
humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I wish they would just prosecute those who break the rules, not try to ban it for everyone else.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 400mw 1.3 vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, 2.4 Notch Filter, V2 ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, FrSky X6R, Custom Skids
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960 Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Angled/Extended Mounts, CC3D, FrSky D4R-II, Mobius (almost done!)
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2 goggles
2014-12-17
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2014-12-18 01:38
I'm inclined to agree, about its likely passage as well as the silliness of the law in the first pl ...

Yes, education, not legislation is the way forward. I am a driving instructor, you would be surprised what people think if you don't explain the safety implications of what we do.
2014-12-17
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Who the hell would even try to fly around New York with all that interference from mobiles, wifi, power lines and buildings etc?
2014-12-17
Use props
jackpresley
New

United States

Once upon a time, a Big Gulp was illegal in the Big Apple... ;)
2014-12-17
Use props
mddrudge
lvl.1

United States

On the flip side, if drone pilots would use some common sense and not fly around airports or other restricted areas or areas that will draw unneeded attention tho the hobby, things would be better for all of us.
2014-12-17
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

"With a background in civil rights and education advocacy, Garodnick represented the Partnership for New York City [...]".
It's kind of ironic - a lawyer with a background in civil rights and education advocacy proposes this new ban :@

While I agree that maybe there's a need for some sort of licensing, I'm opposed to this kind of bans... What's the problem to fly a Phantom in Central Park up to, let's say, 100 feet - is that going to be a danger for airplanes?
Of course, a ban like this could be good revenue income for police and lawyers...  
2014-12-17
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

I understand why they feel the need for the band. I feel it would be better to say where you can fly them. and if they are talking just New York City, or all of New York.

The problem is not the Drone, but the people that are flying them in area they know they should not fly them. Like the guy at the Airport in NY LGA. now that was dumb.
2014-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules