Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire Pro X5 - First Look & Real World Footage
4053 31 2015-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It arrived today from the brilliant guys at Heliguy.I'm upgrading from a phantom 3 pro so a big jump & now with the annoucntment of the Osmo handheld gimbal I'm even more excited!

First 2 flights here: It's Glastonbury Tor in the UK
Being a pro photographer coming from a phantom 3 pro the difference is night & day. This is much more like using my canon 5dmkiii.
This is the default settings out of the camera. 4k 24fps. Not shot in Log. Sequence edited in final cut pro x & exported as h.264 at 326mb file.

Video showing raw vs sharpened footage:

This is the default settings out of the camera. 4k 24fps. Not shot in Log. Sequence edited in final cut pro x. Sharpening filter at 2.5 in final cut pro x. Exported as h.264 at 110mb file.

My only critism is memory card port is badly designed. It's very hard to get the micro sd card out! Otherwise I'm very pleased with it. I need to tweak the inspire settings to mimic my phantom 3 pro handling but can't wait to get shooting with this & and an osmo in the future.
2015-10-8
Use props
rockliffe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 442743 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well worth while seeing the footage with some small sharpening, thanks.
2015-10-8
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108550 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for posting the videos with the sharpening added, it definitely helps get rid of that soft look.

Any chance you can post some Log footage with everything set to -3 in the custom settings?  DJI has posted promo X5 footage of a very flat looking Log profile but I haven't seen any reviews post that kind of footage yet.

Thanks again.
2015-10-8
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Shot in 4K or 1080? I know Vimeo Compresses but this looks almost the same as the X3 camera.
2015-10-8
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-10-8 20:20
Shot in 4K or 1080? I know Vimeo Compresses but this looks almost the same as the X3 camera.

Shot in 4k 24fps 50shutter. 100 iso. Aperture is around f6 some shots I think it was f10.I've just copied in the vimeo video descriptions.

I don't have the x3 but the phantom 3 pro uses same chip & the x5 is a new level.
The difference is also in the depth of field. Its much more like shooting on a dslr.

Compare here with the phantom 3 pro at 1.18:

2015-10-8
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-8 12:24
I've just copied in the vimeo video descriptions. I don't have the x3 but the phantom 3 pro uses sa ...

X5 image still looks muddy due to the hindered bit rate. A 5D/GH4 DSLR would produce a better image than this for that very reason. The X5R is where DJI's new camera is going to shine. The X5 isn't a compelling enough upgrade to command $2k for the camera system over $500 for the X3. They produce very similar looks despite the larger sensor of the X5.

That being said, it's still the best and easiest to get up and going aerial platform out there, I just wish the X5 was more of an upgrade from the X3. It looks good on paper until they list the bit rate.
2015-10-8
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

scooterlam Posted at 2015-10-8 20:35
X5 image still looks muddy due to the hindered bit rate. A 5D/GH4 DSLR would produce a better imag ...

Here's same videos at 4k proxy on youtube.
I think tomo I will try some 1080p 60p footage. If I want to slow this down am I right in thinking I need a 120 shutter? Coming from photography I find the video shutters confusing.

2015-10-8
Use props
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

Congrats! and thanks for sharing..
2015-10-8
Use props
alessandrobecca
lvl.3
Switzerland

Thanks ! Question does the I1pro come with the fast 180 W charger or the original older 100 w one ?
2015-10-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing your new aircraft with us!

Looks good so far and keep up the good work.

Rich
2015-10-8
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alessandrobecca Posted at 2015-10-9 04:28
Thanks ! Question does the I1pro come with the fast 180 W charger or the original older 100 w one ?

Seems to be 100W & it comes with the TB47 standard battery too!
2015-10-9
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

scooterlam Posted at 2015-10-8 15:35
X5 image still looks muddy due to the hindered bit rate. A 5D/GH4 DSLR would produce a better imag ...

It's also 4:2:0 / 8-bit (like the X3) so it's always going to have a slightly mushy effect overall because of the aggressive subsampling.
2015-10-9
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Canada

dopeytree Posted at 2015-10-8 14:25
Here's same videos at 4k proxy on youtube.
I think tomo I will try some 1080p 60p footage. If I wan ...

Shoot with a 180 degree shutter angle. Especially now that you have aperture control, there is no reason to shoot at any other shutter speed but double your frame rate for this application.

24fps = 1/48 S.S. , 30fps = 1/60 S.S. .... and so on...
2015-10-9
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Canada

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-9 11:17
It's also 4:2:0 / 8-bit (like the X3) so it's always going to have a slightly mushy effect overall ...

Yup , waste of money IMO. Save for the X5R and pray that it lives up to the hype that none of us have seen.
2015-10-9
Use props
GQ.
lvl.4

Canada

We need a 4.2.2 and higher bit rate to be broadcast standard. I dont mind shooting in 1080 but please get a real 4.2.2 and higher bit rate one day.
2015-10-16
Use props
SpookyDonkey
lvl.1

United States

Cool stuff. I really want an Inspire, but I'm more interested in putting a nice mirrorless DSLR on it. Does anybody know if there's a gimbal solution for a small DSLR on the Inspire yet?
2015-10-18
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

SpookyDonkey Posted at 2015-10-18 14:34
Cool stuff. I really want an Inspire, but I'm more interested in putting a nice mirrorless DSLR on i ...

Best option would be a S1000 with a BMPCC.  The dymanic range and color detail are far beyond the X3/X5.

2015-10-18
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2015-10-19 13:59
Best option would be a S1000 with a BMPCC.  The dymanic range and color detail are far beyond the  ...

Can you do single man operation and 3 minute set up?   That's what sold me on the Inspire.  
2015-10-18
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-19 00:08
Can you do single man operation and 3 minute set up?   That's what sold me on the Inspire.

Same here.

I think the only option now for ease of use + pro quality video is the X5R.
2015-10-19
Use props
SpookyDonkey
lvl.1

United States

Burlingtonfilms Posted at 2015-10-18 19:59
Best option would be a S1000 with a BMPCC.  The dymanic range and color detail are far beyond the  ...

I know the Blackmagic Micro Cinema got delayed, but is there any reason not to wait for that camera? It's smaller, lighter, cheaper and has an expansion port for remote camera control.
2015-10-19
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

SpookyDonkey Posted at 2015-10-20 04:23
I know the Blackmagic Micro Cinema got delayed, but is there any reason not to wait for that camer ...

Mainly because you can't put it on an Inspire so you're back to square 1, getting the video feed delivered 2km away, flying the camera in the first place.

We all know there are $10k-$20k aerial solutions, with and without camera out there.   The Inspire 1 is the first time we've had a glimpse into usable video in a package that can be flown by a single person easily and affordably.  

For the me the BM doesn't fit into this category until a third party gimbal becomes available, but even then you should expect to lose most of the functionality.
2015-10-19
Use props
Burlingtonfilms
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

SpookyDonkey Posted at 2015-10-20 01:23
I know the Blackmagic Micro Cinema got delayed, but is there any reason not to wait for that camer ...

Hoping that DJI makes a gimbal for this camera.
2015-10-20
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-19 00:08

You can single man an S900/S1000 - and they're about 5 minutes in the air if you're using the same setup. Lift arms, connect/secure battery, done. Really not so bad.
2015-10-20
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-21 15:11
You can single man an S900/S1000 - and they're about 5 minutes in the air if you're using the same ...

Aren't they kind of fiddly though?   I always thought you had to REALLY be into it to keep one of those flying.    Are you saying they are just a bigger Inspire 1 and just as easy to keep in the air?
2015-10-21
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bit more X5 footage:

2015-10-21
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-21 06:45
Aren't they kind of fiddly though?   I always thought you had to REALLY be into it to keep one of  ...

I've never found the non-Inspire DJI aircraft to be more hassle to get in the air. More specifically, when I think of the Inspire 1 vs all the other DJI aircraft I've ever used I've never thought of the Inspire 1 as being "less hassle" to fly. It's just nice because it fits into a suitcase size space.

Also keep in mind I've never used the Lightbridge 2 transmitter / receiver system they just released. That looks like it's going to be adding a lot of Inspire 1 style functionality onto any A2 based aircraft (single radio FPV / control + telemetry + touch screen controls, etc).

If the Lightbridge 2 works anything like the Lightbridge you'll be able to map the camera shutter and tilt buttons pretty similarly and they may have even more expansive mapping stuff you can do to add touch screen control (on the Lightbridge you'd map a switch on your Futaba controller to open and close aperture, for example).

So I would say if you really want to get a higher end camera into the air I wouldn't think of the aircraft as being a barrier.
2015-10-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-10-22 11:31
I've never found the non-Inspire DJI aircraft to be more hassle to get in the air. More specifical ...

Awesome, great advice thanks!  
2015-10-21
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-10-21 20:39
Awesome, great advice thanks!

No worries.

Keep in mind that initial setup will be more involved on a bigger copter; you'll need to assemble the frame and parts, though that's really not that difficult these days, especially on an all-DJI setup (S900/S1000/etc) where everything is designed to work together and DJI has really easy to follow tutorial videos for mounting your components to the frame and configuring them.

You'll need to do an initial setup configuration on the workbench. The A2 and WK-M are a flexible flight controllers designed to work in any airframe (even non-DJI) so when you first set it up you need to specify things like how the controller interacts with it and what kind of airframe you have (hexa, octo, etc). The upside to this is that, at least for me, I always feel a lot more comfortable with non-Inspire/Phantom copters because I feel like you I am much more in-tune with how things are setup. I do find the Inspire a bit more "black box" in that regard and am just left assuming that things are going to be sane from the factory.

Once you're setup and tuned up though this is a completed task and day to day flying is pretty much an unbox / connect battery / fly scenario (of course most people will have more involved take-off checklists but this should be the case on an Inspire 1 or any other RTF style aircraft as well).

AND of course the biggest upside is that, besides getting a higher end camera airborne, you'll have ready access to replacement parts. Damage a prop arm or motor? Those are parts any DJI dealer can source for you. Need more batteries? There are tons of 6S LiPo packs available from a variety of vendors. Truly the only thing that worries me about the Inspire 1 (and don't get me wrong I really do like the Inspire) is that if I ever have an accident (touch wood) I'll have to send the entire aircraft away for repairs. I've always just ordered DJI replacement parts and done my own service on non-Inspire aircraft  (and if your business is counting on your copter being operational, you can have some standard parts on hand for in-field replacement).
2015-10-22
Use props
tomfur
New

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-10-8 15:35

Everyone needs to stop with the bit rate argument. Lets not forget the Sony A7s which has become a standard for all DSLR shooters out there records at 50 mb/s and I have yet to see anyone attacking that on any forum. The 4K argument holds true it is not an ideal bit rate for true 4k recording but its for sure a start and will get you what you need to be able to crop in  and/or squeeze to a 1080 timeline. Ive been shooting aerials for for big clients in the sports world and the commercial world with the X3! Tried and tested and most clients are happy with the footage. If anyone is on the fence about this camera get off! Its a major upgrade no matter which way you swing it. The Raw option will be useless for ANYONE being hired with an inspire. Bit rate junkies will rave but the truth of the matter is if a client is asking for a raw platform in the air they are asking for an octo and a red. End of story. The X5 will not put you on a new category because at the end of the day you are flying an inspire. What it will do is let you rest assured that you do have some more leniency in post, and a highly capable camera you don't have to feel ashamed about. You will no longer be in the "a little better than a go pro" which for a true shooter who is actually being paid for use of this drone is a breath of fresh air. This camera will now be able to match up to projects shot on c300, sony f5 etc and not stick out like a sore thumb. Most naysayers are honestly owners of the inspire 1 with an X3 camera and are hating on the new one because they cannot afford or justify the purchase. If you are like me and are actually hired on a regular basis with this platform the upgrade is a must. This just pushes the X3 owners into a lower category closer to that of the phantom with a go pro hero 4 and of course they arent happy about it. Im so tired of reading these forums and watching people nit pick things like bit rate.

1.most footage out there is absolutely crushed by online compression so that is no judge of anything.
2. most flyers are absolutely terrible shooters and wouldnt know what a 180 degree shutter was if slapped them across the face
3. this camera now requires knowledge that was not needed on the phantom or x3 camera. You now NEED to understand the basics of how a sensor, aperture, focal distance works. Most of the garbage online right now is show by people either in full auto (Always an awful idea) or have no idea the principles of videography.

Please stop listening to any haters out there complaining about the little things, and understand this is an investment that will pay off in 1-2 inspire shoots in the real world. Its 100% a no brainer.
2015-10-22
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

tomfur@me.com Posted at 2015-10-23 03:46
Everyone needs to stop with the bit rate argument. Lets not forget the Sony A7s which has become a ...

Well said!  
2015-10-22
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

tomfur@me.com Posted at 2015-10-22 18:46
Everyone needs to stop with the bit rate argument. Lets not forget the Sony A7s which has become a ...

Agree. One need not to be ashamed of the X3 either. A lot of good work can be done with that with proper settings and some work in post. I'm far from an expert myself, I'm still learning how this bird handles, the camera, and good and effective post workflows. I've ordered the X5 without lens because I already own a compatible one, and it will be a nice upgrade. The X3 I will put on the Osmo handle which I have also ordered.
2015-10-22
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

tomfur@me.com Posted at 2015-10-22 09:46

You're referencing the internal Bit-Rate where the A7s is limited to HD 1080p. The rate is much higher via HDMI to an external recorder like the Atomos Shogun. I agree with most of everything else you said, I'm just giving you my opinion that the low bit-rate coupled with 4K still produces blocky artifacts in high detail areas regardless of online compression or not. I've been shooting for quite some time myself and although I'm not a tech/specs junkie I know what looks like a clean image when I see it. I think the cost difference between the X3 & X5 is too large given it's marginal upgrade over the X3. If it was $1500 I believe it would be more on par with its capabilities. Either way I'm going to strongly consider purchasing the X5R as soon as I see some real world footage and test out the abilities in post myself.
2015-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules