Acceptable battery temperature
2489 4 2015-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2Flatulent
lvl.1

United States

I recently uploaded my flight data to healthy drones and noticed on one particular day (9/6) that my battery temperature got up to 145 F.  I consider this rather hot.  Anyone else have high battery temperatures?
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=MTMwNTY
Thanks,
Jeff
2015-10-8
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery should be used in temperatures of 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 C) to 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 C). Temperatures above 122 degrees Fahrenheit (50 C) can cause a fire or explosion. 145 F is a bit on the warm side and could also contribute to shell brittleness over time. You should definitely remove a battery that warm as soon as you land the P3.
2015-10-8
Use props
2Flatulent
lvl.1

United States

terrylewis Posted at 2015-10-8 20:27
The battery should be used in temperatures of 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 C) to 104 degrees Fahrenhei ...

I always remove my batteries immediately after landing and shutting down the aircraft. It was rather hot that day which may have help contribute to the excessive temps.

What concerns me is the stories of the intelligent battery shutting down to protect itself from thermal damage. If this is the case then shouldn't the DGI software warn you of the impending danger?
2015-10-8
Use props
usman.ahmad72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43720 ft
Pakistan

Is it possible that the Lightbridge (sandwiched between battery compartment and VPS) dissipated heat adds to the temperature of P3P/A battery?
2015-10-9
Use props
2Flatulent
lvl.1

United States

I created a spreadsheet that showed my flight time, ambient temperature and battery temperature.   I have an extra battery that was purchased about a week after the P3A.  One thing I noticed with both batteries is the average temperature rise of both batteries when operated for 15 minutes or more was between 40 and 50 degrees F.  So on a 95 degree day the battery could reach temperatures approaching 145 F.  On cooler 70 degree days the battery temperature may hit 120 F.

The aircraft has an operating temperature of 0 a 40 C or 32 - 104 F. Theoretically, based on the above information the battery temperatures may go as high as 154 F.  If you research any LiPo battery information on the web anything over 140 F is said to cause the battery to start deteriorating.

2015-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules