Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices
123Next >
66260 90 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I have always flown with the antenna at a 45 degree angle to the body of the RC, except that one time that I forgot to extend them and flew with them crossed as in storage position. Still flew just fine though. I have never noticed an issue with signal loss.

With a constantly changing angle between RC and aircraft is it a good practice to point one antenna straight ahead and the other at a 45 degree angle? Or do both antenna need to be pointing the same direction?

2015-10-24
Use props
riskcorp
New

Mexico

Excellent. Thank you
2015-10-24
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha remltr,

". . . is it a good practice to point one antenna straight ahead and the other at a 45 degree angle?"

Hmm, what if one of the antennae is for video and one is for flight control?  I do plan to test this with a blind of trees and an antennae range extender.  The blind is 600 feet away and blocks a flat operational area up at 75 feet above me and still within walking distance.  I have already lost signal when I attempted to land my P3 up there (for fun) and high-tailed it out-a-there like a bad puppy when that happened.  But, since then, this forum has said repeatedly that the video signal goes first, which may have been my case and now I want to try it again.  

This is where the range extender comes in to play.  Instead of the two range extenders recommended for the P3P, I plan to use one that I can hold in the proper configuration against the antennae with my hand.  Trusting the advice of this forum, I plan to land my P3 at the flats, with or without an associate with a cell phone present up there, and then see which one of the antennae improves the video.  If there is no difference, then both antennae are for flight control and video downlink.  If there is a difference then it will tell me which antennae works for which.  Either way the result of the test should provide me with video for the lift-off.

The nice thing about the flats and the blinding trees is that there is just enough to be disruptive, but not enough to destroy.  And if all else fails, I just have to retrieve the P3 from a flat unobstructed area and figure out what went wrong.  I hope!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-24
Use props
Elliot Blue
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Great video ! Is there a video for DJI GO APP  ?
2015-10-28
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Elliot,

Yes, there is;

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-28
Use props
jmklar
lvl.1
Australia

Some people recommend the use of antenna boosters to increase the range of flight. These boosters sit behind the antenna. I imagine you would need to take care if the aircraft flies behind the controller because the boosters in fact may block the signal.
Any comments from DJI?
2015-10-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

jmklar Posted at 2015-10-29 06:50
Some people recommend the use of antenna boosters to increase the range of flight. These boosters si ...

well, boosters will extend the range of rc, but as you said they are directional, so you just have to be careful flying with them.
2015-10-28
Use props
kenzo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94964 ft
Italy

I'm a radio amateurs  and I have a factory of radio antennas.
I have many experience about the radiation lobes of each type of radio antenna (vertical dipole,yagi, loop etc ...) but I understand that many people do not know the meaning of the polarization of  and the maximum antenna gain, also at high frequencies you have more problems around obstacles and interference.
You did well to post this video ...

Vincenzo
2015-10-29
Use props
moisesedid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1273399 ft
Mexico

I'm having a situation where the signal is lost when the aircraft is directly above me (40-50m high). It didn't happen before. I' moved the antennas as instructed however the result is the same. Any ideas? Maybe something moved and is not connecting whith RC properly?
2015-11-7
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

moisesedid Posted at 2015-11-7 12:08
I'm having a situation where the signal is lost when the aircraft is directly above me (40-50m high) ...

Aloha moisesedid,

What type of P3 do you have? P3P, P3A or P3 Standard?

Is it possible that the P3 is set to beginner mode?  On the flight screen, the second icon from the upper left is the Flight mode icon (P-GPS usually with a quadcopter icon).  Open it up by pressing it.  Does that page indicate you are in beginner mode.  The P3 is set to beginner mode by default.  It may be that somehow the beginner mode was enabled.

Along this same thought, it may be possible that you set the max altitude to 50 m.  You might check that.  But, then you should not loose signal.

There is also a test you can try.  Get a flat, square piece of cardboard about as big as the remote controller.  Cover the top half of it in aluminum foil.  Put it near you as you fly your P3.  Send the P3 straight up with your antennae straight forward like the video says.  As you approach the signal lost altitude, pick-up the cardboard with the foil on the top side as a reflector.  Hold the cardboard below the two antennae so the signal is directed straight up at the P3.  Keep flying up and see if you loose the signal.  If you get to 60 meters and there is still signal, take the cardboard away and see if you loose the signal.  If you loose the signal, put the cardboard back right away and direct it at the P3. so you can get the signal back and bring the P3 back down.  (You may have to press the RTH button to get control back if it went into failsafe, but you indicate you have handled this before.)

Let me know how it goes.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-11-13
Use props
jmklar
lvl.1
Australia

moisesedid Posted at 2015-11-8 09:08
I'm having a situation where the signal is lost when the aircraft is directly above me (40-50m high) ...

Make sure that the antenna is not pointing directly up towards the copter - the antennas should be parallel to where the bird is flying - I had the same problem but once I adjusted the antennas things went OK
2015-11-13
Use props
rayman121985
New

United States

Is there anywhere on the iPad app to see what you current signal strength is? I would like to monitor it as I fly it.
2015-11-20
Use props
ibx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

nice, gave me a much better idea of how to boost my signal.
2015-12-4
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

China

ibx Posted at 2015-12-5 11:35
nice, gave me a much better idea of how to boost my signal.

great, i'm glad it helps
2015-12-4
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

rayman121985 Posted at 2015-11-20 13:28
Is there anywhere on the iPad app to see what you current signal strength is? I would like to monito ...

See the remote controller icon in the top bar of the DJI GO app.
2015-12-5
Use props
dehner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 549931 ft
Philippines

Great tips!  To sum it up always seek for better range with your P3.    If more obstacles are in the way look for higher ground as much as possible.  Set RTH based on your observation of the obstacles in the area set it higher just to be safe.   
2016-2-25
Use props
SaskeBaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

Thank you,so,much...
2016-5-28
Use props
SaskeBaby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

Very helpful
2016-5-28
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-12-5 19:58
See the remote controller icon in the top bar of the DJI GO app.

With the advent of Windsurfers which we know are highly directional, is there some other way to see how on (or off) center we are between RC and Aircraft.  Someone pointed me to the FPV for Camera app saying the there is an indicator that goes from Green to Yellow to Red if not pointing directly at the craft.  My concern (again with the Windsurfer) is I believe its strongest signal is when point straight on to the aircraft.  What I don't know is how much signal loss there is as you are more on the edges of the reflected signal.
2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-9 01:25
With the advent of Windsurfers which we know are highly directional, is there some other way to se ...

The video pretty much shows it, the best signal is with the antennas perpendicular to the aircraft and the worst signal pointing the tips of the antenna towards the aircraft.
2016-6-8
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-9 04:11
The video pretty much shows it, the best signal is with the antennas perpendicular to the aircraft ...

Ken,

Understand that, but being realistic, at a mile or so out, actually seeing the aircraft may not be quite so easy..  Guess what I'm saying is, is there a way to really try to stay centered on the aircraft..  I don't have the DJI GO app up in front of me, but trying to remember if there is anyway with the maps/video to help in that regard.  Again that other app supposedly turn from green to yellow to red as you move away from being centered...  Sorry if I'm just not thinking about something obvious that I should be.
2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-9 09:28
Ken,

Understand that, but being realistic, at a mile or so out, actually seeing the aircraft may  ...

Your phone/tablet has a compass in it, with everything powered up fly out in front of you and then turn your body and the map view will turn as well. You should be able to get orientation from that.I can post some screenshots tomorrow to explain it better.
2016-6-8
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-9 12:38
Your phone/tablet has a compass in it, with everything powered up fly out in front of you and then  ...

Will give it a try..  Thanks for screenshots to come..  :-)
2016-6-9
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-8 21:38
Your phone/tablet has a compass in it, with everything powered up fly out in front of you and then  ...

You don't need to lift off the UAV to see how the map view and the 'radar feature' in DJI GO app changes with the orientation of your mobile device WRT magnetic North. Just be sure to unlock the compass icon in DJI GO Camera view as the default may be 'locked'. It'd be easier to get familiar with this feature before venturing out to the air park, right?
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-9 22:54
You don't need to lift off the UAV to see how the map view and the 'radar feature' in DJI GO app ch ...

Correct, I just said to power everything up so the aircraft will show up as well.I've attached to screenshots. 1st facing the aircraft but I'm to the right, and 2nd I turned myself close to 90 degrees to the right so you can easily see that all you have to do it turn your body and RC towards the aircraft red triangle and it will be in front of you.
You can use the radar screen as well, unless if your in Sport Mode on a P4, then the rader turns into a RPM gauge.
compass one.PNG
compass.PNG
2016-6-9
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-9 08:29
Correct, I just said to power everything up so the aircraft will show up as well.I've attached to s ...

So the trick is rotating so that the blue rays on the blue spot (your location on map view) is pointed directly to the red aircraft?

Don't see how the radar is helping you to orient the antenna direction, though.
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-10 01:12
So the trick is rotating so that the blue rays on the blue spot (your location on map view) is poi ...

Here's a good video.

2016-6-9
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-10 01:27
Here's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9PGfLXEsI

Ken,

OK, still a little confused, but will try with a flight..  I don't think I've seen a situation where the red arrow is not in the cone of white starting with the white dot leading up to the white triangle..  Either I've always been pointing at the aircraft or I'm still being REALLY dense.  (Probably the latter)..  :-)
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-10 09:20
Ken,

OK, still a little confused, but will try with a flight..  I don't think I've seen a situati ...

If you can screen record a flight, or have someone record your screen as you do a test flight and then post a link to it with the questions you have.
2016-6-9
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-10 10:15
If you can screen record a flight, or have someone record your screen as you do a test flight and  ...

Ken,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Out of town and other duties..   So I kinda understand (I think) what you're saying about the radar and relationship to RC but I still don't think it's a "conclusive" way to be sure I'm pointed at the aircraft.  So what I did was leave the P3 centered on a table and walked around keeping the RC always pointing forward.  When I got 90 degrees to the drone (on the right and not directly behind), the arrow was now 90 off being in the white cone.  So I can translate that to be as if I was pointed 90 degrees off dead on to the drone.

However, I can get that same view (on the radar) while still pointing at the drone simply by rotating the aircraft 90 degrees on its axis..  In that scenario I'd still be point at the drone, but it's now facing 90 degrees from where it was facing.  So what I'm "looking" for is instead of the drone being in the cone, if I'm physically pointed to the right of the drone (let's say) that the arrow would be "left" of the white cone (I hope I'm making sense)..

Jay S.
2016-6-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-17 03:37
Ken,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Out of town and other duties..   So I kinda understand ( ...

Some deviations from the exact direction can occur if there is interference (like a lot of electronics in a room) or if there is a component that is not calibrated. For best effects, ensure that the aircraft, RC and the mobile device's compass has been properly calibrated. When on the field, you would ultimately run into obstructions that would affect the overall range of the aircraft as well.

The main thing to take from the information provided by Ken is that you do have tools at your disposal to ensure that you achieve as much signal as possible from your set up. You want to ensure that you are close to being lined up with your unit, or at least in it's general directions and to not have the antennas pointed like an aerial dowsing rod. The point would be to have the antennas as close to perpendicular as possible, and you can always make adjustments when you notice transmission issues. Flying your unit would be the best way to get a better handle on how to adjust your antennas seamlessly.

In sum, don't fly the unit with your back turned from it and happy flying!

2016-6-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-17 04:38
Some deviations from the exact direction can occur if there is interference (like a lot of electron ...

Jamie..

Have all that and practice good antenna procedures as much as possible.. Despite the light hearted tone of the reply. :-)  The string was one that is more serious in nature.  The app I mentioned earlier (FPV for Camera) claims to indicate when you're straying off center of the aircraft.. yellow first and red if you're really not even close..  So the question remains...  how do we best interpret what we're seeing on screen as far as alignment of the remote to the aircraft.  As I stated (despite best efforts) the aircraft may be out of sight, and while I'm in an area where I know the lay of the land, roads, visual cues, etc. it's not always the case we'll be flying somewhere we know like the back of our hands.

So again.. is there a way to make sure we're lined up... The video talks to the "white cone" being the direction, but I cannot recall ever seeing a situation where the positioning of the triangle relative to me, was ever out of that cone. OK, I may be good at pointing, but I'm sure there were times when I wasn't dead on..  So how do we tell?

Thanks..
2016-6-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-17 04:47
Jamie..

Have all that and practice good antenna procedures as much as possible.. Despite the light ...

While I have provided some "light heartedness" towards the end of my response, please do not overlook the information that both Ken and I have already provided. Ken had provided two screenshots and a video on this subject with two ways that you can "line up" your RC with your aircraft. Both are two dimensional views that will not accomodate for vertical alignment. The white icon on the Attitude indicator will be static on the top, where the blue indicator on the map is more dynamic should you be walking around. The green line on the map section will also help you align with the aircraft as it acts as a virtual teather. All this information is shown in action via the video Ken provided. To repeat, vertical alignment is something that you would need to adjust via trial and error. The RC section of all manuals also provide a diagram as to where to have the antennas set up to compensate for vertical alignment:
Transmission Range Basic.JPG

Again, the accuracy of these indicators are heavily reliant on the accuracy of your aircraft, RC and mobile device. If you are concerned of inaccuracies, please calibrate all 3 components. Realistically, you may run into cases where the indicators may be off due to interference by electric, magnetic or other physical obstructions that can disrupt communication. The point is that the RC and it's receiver does provide some margin of error in alignment in order to still provide great range. As long as you are not flying in hazardous areas and you follow the basic antenna practices as shown in the video below, then you will be fine:

2016-6-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-17 05:35
While I have provided some "light heartedness" towards the end of my response, please do not overl ...

Jamie..

I wasn't the only one who wasn't quite getting this.. and I appreciate everything Ken has posted here and elsewhere.  The light heartedness comment wasn't a dig.  I was replying to Ken who asked me to try something and report back.  I see no green line on the two "map" images he provided.  The only green line I can see shows up in the video at about 1:55 in when it talks about the aircraft flying away.

That's still not exactly what I'm looking for, and again sorry if I'm not getting it. I'm trying to maintain, as much as possible, being pointed at the aircraft at times when it may not be in sight.  I've not lost the aircraft, haven't had any emergency bail outs initiated by failsafe, etc.. But I am looking for something that specifically shows that I'm not pointing at the aircraft.  Let me try it another way.  Suppose I am looking at and send the aircraft due west, and then I physically rotate 90 degrees clockwise to north, what will display on the map to tell me that I'm not pointing at the drone (if anything)..  Is it that green line in the now black screen where the map would normally be?  Does the map disappear?  I don't think I've ever seen it turn black where the map would normally be.

When I tried this today, and I moved the RC 90 degrees out of line, the nose of the aircraft rotated in the image, but as I said, I can achieve that same appearance simply by turning the aircraft 90 degrees but still be pointing at it.  I hope I'm making sense here..
2016-6-16
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-10 01:12
So the trick is rotating so that the blue rays on the blue spot (your location on map view) is poi ...

Just checking... I am still not 100% certain I understand but checking with you to see if you got what Ken was indicating.  Thanks!
2016-6-17
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-17 16:40
Just checking... I am still not 100% certain I understand but checking with you to see if you got  ...

My question was directed to DJI_Ken (Not Tim) asking if my understanding of the blue rays in #65 was correct. Note that in either picture, the blue rays of the pilot position DO NOT point directly to the red AC so I don't know if the screenshots were taken when the pilot/RC/MD was pointing DIRECTLY to the AC or not. The second image in #65 seems to indicate that both the AC & RC are pointed in the same compass direction - both parallel to E 234th street.

And by 'rotate', I mean change the direction you are facing. Not to be confused with yaw, which is changing the direction the aircraft is facing.

There is no 'green line' in the images of #65 because the AC is on the ground - directly on its Home Point (if it has even been set). The motors may not have been turning when those screen shots were taken but the AC was powered-up.

RE: "...  but as I said, I can achieve that same appearance simply by turning the  aircraft 90 degrees but still be pointing at it.  I hope I'm making  sense here.."
I visualize what you are doing here and, like you, I don't see how the 'radar' feature helps you keep the RC antenna ponted to the AC.
2016-6-17
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-9 10:27
Here's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9PGfLXEsI

Is it true that the 'cone of white light' will not point directly to the red aircraft when the RC antennas are not facing the AC?

radar feature - cone of white light

radar feature - cone of white light
2016-6-17
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-18 08:37
Is it true that the 'cone of white light' will not point directly to the red aircraft when the RC  ...

Someone over on Phantom Pilot posted this image, which is what I'd expect to see is I wasn't pointing at the aircraft.  I have a white dot (not the yellow "H") in the middle, but he describes what I've been trying to ask..  In that image and scenario he is not pointing directly at the aircraft..

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... .81598/#post-842683

Not sure I've ever seen this thought.  :-)  Maybe I've been aiming well...
2016-6-17
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-17 20:59
Someone over on Phantom Pilot posted this image, which is what I'd expect to see is I wasn't point ...

Now I thought the angular position on the 'radar' of the red arrow from 'top dead center' is the compass position. So in the link's image, the aircraft is NNE of the Home Point.
I'd like to see posted screenshots of the 'radar' for pointing the antennas at the aircraft and for pointing off by 45º to see if the difference can be used in the field (with sunlight) as an aid to reposition the antenna for best reception.

Also, with a 3rd party range extender add-on, how far off axis before there is a noticable difference? Compare with the stock antenna.
2016-6-17
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

'radar' decoded:

When the DJI GO app compass is locked (locked to North), the white triangle at the top of the outer circle is the reflection of you in the Northern distance, irrespective of the direction (compass heading) you are facing. The red arrow, representing the aircraft, is plotted as compass heading and distance (units unknown) from the 'center'.

When the DJI GO app compass is unlocked, the white triangle remains at the top of the outer circle. The red arrow, representing the aircraft, is now plotted as the difference between the compass heading of the mobile device and the compass heading to the aircraft. The compass heading of the aircraft is indicated by the direction of the red arrow. Therefore, when your mobile device is pointing to the aircraft, the red arrow will be somewhere along the line between the white triangle and the 'center', depending on distance from 'center'.

Does the 'center' represent the Home Point or the Mobile Device? As you walk away from the Home Point, will the 'radar' display change accordingly?

Now I would expect the direction the mobile device is facing to also be plotted on the 'radar' display so that the white triangle would move along the outer circle as you panned to track the aircraft, but this is not the case.
2016-6-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules