66253 90 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-18 22:09
'radar' decoded:

When the DJI GO app compass is locked (locked to North), the white triangle at the ...

Flying later today..  Will see if I can grab some screen shots..  Great info..   I looked and didn't see that difference in the compass locked and unlocked scenarios..  Was that online?  Thanks..

Here's another image of "off center" :  http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... .81598/#post-842829

Jay S.
2016-6-18
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-18 07:28
Flying later today..  Will see if I can grab some screen shots..  Great info..   I looked and didn' ...

Note that neither linked image shows if compass is locked or not and the accompanying text does not indicate the compass lock state either.

If the white triangle were not always at the top of the outer circle, we would know if the compass was locked or not and we would know the compass heading to the aircraft and the mobile device compass heading. Unlocking the compass removes that information from the 'radar' display'.

I'd be best to have the aircraft some distance away from the Home Point since the angular resolution of the 'radar' display is low. So yes, take 'er on a flight and post some screenshots to confirm your findings.
2016-6-18
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-18 22:09
'radar' decoded:

When the DJI GO app compass is locked (locked to North), the white triangle at the ...

So, I did several flights over the weekend.  With compass unlocked the radar did show the aircraft OUT of the white cone if I was pointing (even slightly - at distance) away from the aircraft, which is what I think we were looking for.  This is what the images I posted from Phantom Pilots showed and was exacting what I wanted to see.  The images here always showed the aircraft in the cone which did not help in making sure we're pointed the right way..  So, learned something important (at least I think important) in working along with the antenna practices video (which we've all seen)..  I do think that this deserves its own tutorial or as an addon to the antenna one with a title of "how to make sure you're pointing directly at the aircraft".  I wasn't about to get a screen shot (had sun hood on) but the radar looked just like the ones I posted from Phantom Pilots..

Don't know the answer about what happens with something like the Itelite 180 degree panel though..
2016-6-20
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-20 09:48
So, I did several flights over the weekend.  With compass unlocked the radar did show the aircraft ...

Good confirmation, useful explanation of the 'radar' feature. This wisdom should be made readily retrievable - tutorial, user manual, etc.

Now how about the map view? Is there a visual cue there to help align antenna with aircraft? Is one better than the other?
2016-6-20
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-20 09:48
So, I did several flights over the weekend.  With compass unlocked the radar did show the aircraft ...

Don't know what you mean by 'Itelite 180 degree panel'. Didn't find it in this thread (3 pages).
2016-6-20
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-21 02:07
Good confirmation, useful explanation of the 'radar' feature. This wisdom should be made readily r ...

Didn't check map view as map didn't activate (my iPad Mini II has wireless and cell but forgot to preload maps from home before going and didn't get enough at the location to pick up the map detail.  Will try again with maps loaded.  The Itelite is a very well used antenna mod to provide a better signal.. It replace the two small 3 to 4 Dbi antenna with a flat panel antenna in the 8 to 9 Dbi range.  The have a panel that expands it even higher.  These are NOT amplified antenna boosts but can be retrofit if you want to push it higher.  The antenna face is a full flat 180 panel, so I don't know if it even has specific "aiming" characteristics..
2016-6-20
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-6-20 11:19
Didn't check map view as map didn't activate (my iPad Mini II has wireless and cell but forgot to  ...

The 'radar' feature is driven by MD compass and aircraft GPS so I would not expect 3rd party antenna to have an effect on the display.
2016-6-20
Use props
careless
lvl.2
Flight distance : 218353 ft
United States

Learn something new every day
2017-1-22
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

Hopefully this will help a bit
2017-7-10
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-9 18:19
I do agree that the video is the better way to provide information to the user, surfing forum, sometimes i wonder how many % of the users read the manual

A very low % it's sad. As this is something that could at least cost them a lot of money in a crash and at most hurt or kill someone. i think DJI has done a great job by Adding Videos, but still I run into people all the time that have the antennas crossed folded all the way down doing all kinds of stupid things that I consider common sense. Great Video.
2017-8-20
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-10 07:54
I hope we can ask questions here in relation to signals… I asked this before in another thread and did not get an answer so I am hoping I can get one here,

When using the way point function are all the coordinates transmitted at the time of application of the route… Otherwise if I have 5 way points and one is line of site to the left of an obstruction but further out from the controller…and the second point is to the right of an obstruction and further away and when I fly the route from point one to point two the obstruction will block any signals form the controller… Are the coords saved on the aircraft where it can continue to fly the route with a blocked signal from the controller…otherwise will it fly the route autonomously?

Butch,

All great answers and they are right. However, I do want to point out one thing. There is another App called Litchi. This app, you can plan your flight in our living room on your iPad. Every way point can have at altitude, you can set how fast it must climb between waypoints. You can make a 100-way point flight and this app works differently than the DJI-GO App. Once you've made your flight you can save it ( you don't have to fly it first either ) then when you are ready to fly you push a button and it uploads the flight to the drone and the drone will run the flight even if a loss of radio contact occurs. Now the inherent danger is you don't set the right altitudes to avoid obstacles, but if you are flying in an area you know well and or you can use google earth and I think now litchi even had the ground elevation programmed in, so as long as you are sure of your obstacles then it's a lot easier using litchi. It has many more options as well for pre-planned flights. I think it's around $20.00 and worth every penny. Again ready every the entire manual on Litchi and watch all tutorial videos before attempting one of these flights but I've done many and they have turned out great! There's another app called Airnest. I don't know much about it, and there's a VERY Robust app called AutoPilot that will probably take a few weeks to learn but that one can do all kinds of things that even Litchie can't. I think Auto Pilot is over kill unless you are a film professional, my suggestion is start with Litchie. There's lots of demo videos on youtube about this app.
2017-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules