Ronin M Cable Fault
2600 5 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

So i been using the DjI Ronin for a while and now it seems like a cable is faulty...

Im reaching the end of patience with DJI to be honest, releasing the 1.3 FW which rendered the Ronin-m useless and cost me two production days..
Not updating their app to Ios9, latest 1.4 FW not centering tilt.. back to stock and now a faulty cable...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62064760/ronin-cable.mp4
2015-10-9
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

Paul, That video is wild. Sorry to see you're having that problem. If you're able to source a replacement cable, could you share the link? I don't have that problem now, but would like to be prepared in case I do down the line. Wishing your rig well -George
2015-10-10
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Hi George!

Thanx! There is a replacement cable available for the Ronin but i haven't found one for the Ronin-M sadly.

It was pure luck i detected it in time, before the shoot this weekend (on a cruise ship) where it would been impossible to get a replacement.

Thanx to my dealer i got their demo rig as a loaner so I'm covered for this job, but after that I'm without it for 2 months at least. This is of course not acceptable as i have plenty of job booked where i need a gimbal.

DJI is simply not serious enough to cater to the professional market. I'v already contacted the dealer for Freefly here in Sweden and inquired about their M5... Got a response from them same day with a invitation to try out their M10 (they didn't have a demo M5 in their showroom) which i will do for sure regardless of how i sort the situation with the Ronin-M.

Having to ship the Ronin away for 2 months every time it acts up which it does A LOT is not an option.

The times the Ronin actually works it's a very nice tool! But it's far to many hiccups for me to trust it for paid work.

BTW have you tested the latest FW ? I did and while it sorted the harsh movement, it introduce other issues.. certainly not worth it.

2015-10-11
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-10-11 01:39
Hi George!

Thanx! There is a replacement cable available for the Ronin but i haven't found one for ...

Thanks for the followup Paul. Yes, it's definitely tricky to absolutely depend on this tool functioning at 100%. I did not upgrade to the latest firmware after seeing many folks talk about problems they are having with it.

I have had a fair bit of experience with Freefly's MoVi's and give a them a thumbs up. They too come with some of their own limitations, but overall, the build quality and customer support are both great. Their software is also very good and they are constantly updating to support the latest operating systems. However, that does come with a significantly higher price tag.

Overall, I've been pleased with the Ronin-M so far and still think it's the best value out there for gimbals. However, I have not had major issues so I certainly am writing this from a perspective of survivorship bias : ) -George
2015-10-12
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Hi George!

Just back from a job with the Ronin-M Demo unit from my dealer, worked without any major issue.  Will return my Ronin-M to the dealer though , i simply can't risk loosing money and clients due to DJI's limited service and quality.

The MoVi does not have all the fancy features the Ronin does, however that is a moot point for me as unless they work 100% (which they don't) they are useless to me.

The initial price of the MoVi is quite steep in comparison no doubt, but well worth it considering their stability/quality  and their service/support is available here locally as well as spare parts such as cables etc.

Will let you know how it turns out.. :-)
2015-10-13
Use props
fans0f731fe8
New

United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-10-13 00:07
Hi George!

Just back from a job with the Ronin-M Demo unit from my dealer, worked without any major issue.  Will return my Ronin-M to the dealer though , i simply can't risk loosing money and clients due to DJI's limited service and quality.

Did you figure out where the cable for the ronin m is?
2017-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules