Reformatting is suggested
1618 8 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rseal
lvl.2

United States

OK, finally did the updates and got the reformatting is suggested line. I did reformat the sd card in the bird, and now I would assume the sd card has nothing on it. Do I need to reinstall the update or leave it blank? Or do I put the bin file back on the card and just reinsert in the camera? As stated, I have already updated the bird, took 25 minutes, and everything looks good. The log did show it was successful. YEA!!
2015-10-9
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only need the .bin file on the SD card if you have additional batteries that need to be updated.
2015-10-9
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

I already had 1.3.2 on everything so I shouldn't have to update the RC, I don't think. Batteries either. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have 1.4.0 on the bird now but I don't have anything on the sd card. I updated and then formatted after I got the message. Are you saying that
I have to just put the bin file back on the sd card but it won't try to update? Sorry for any confusion.
2015-10-9
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

rseal Posted at 2015-10-10 04:42
I already had 1.3.2 on everything so I shouldn't have to update the RC, I don't think. Batteries eit ...

You should be good to go, you dont need the bin file on the card since everything is updated.  
2015-10-9
Use props
tmygun1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

rseal Posted at 2015-10-9 16:42
I already had 1.3.2 on everything so I shouldn't have to update the RC, I don't think. Batteries eit ...

Even with the .bin file on the card the P3 will not try to update itself again.  Having it on the card hurts nothing......not having it on the card also hurts nothing......EXCEPT if you have or get an extra battery, and you are not sure of the battery firmware.
Having the .bin file on your SD card will insure that an extra or new battery is updated to the 1.3.2  batt firmware.  The 1.4.1 firmware updates the battery to 1.3.2.....there is no 1.4.1 update for the battery or RC.
If you updated all batteries to 1.3.2....you're good to go.  
Just remember if you get any new batteries you really need to make sure they are updated to the most current firmware that your P3 has.
A good video that shows a extra battery being updated on a P3 that has already been updated can be seen here. .
2015-10-9
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

I keep one card (the 16GB that came with the Phantom) with the latest FW on it but use 64GB cards for recording. New batt put the 16GB in w/o props let it go through the update, then restart with the clean 64GB cards for shooting vid/photos.

I use the similar method for many devices. That is a "utility card" for repairs/updates or whatever and clean crds for work.
2015-10-9
Use props
rseal
lvl.2

United States

Thanks so much. I appreciate the response. Looks like I'm good to go. Have been waiting for these new updates to settle in and it looks like they have. Get to try out the new features tomorrow.
Thanks again.
2015-10-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Westside Osprey,

Your utility card would normally be a good idea (I use a similar strategy).  There does appear to be a problem though with leaving the .txt file that is listed with it after the update in the root directory.  I recall being told to delete it after retrieval.  Be sure to check it out or remove the .txt file after every use to play it safe.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-9
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-10-10 01:23
Aloha Westside Osprey,

Your utility card would normally be a good idea (I use a similar strate ...

I have tried both ways with old .txt file on the card and removing it.

It does not seem to be a problem leaving it on at least with the latest FW. All it does is amend more comments in the file.

I had heard this as well, maybe it used to be an issue. I am still removing it just in case.

Maybe we can get a ruling from DJI on this...
2015-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules