Not all videos being saved to SD
1543 7 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
uav_creations
lvl.1
Canada

Hello,
I have spent the last week, day and night in search of answers trying to avoid posting this with no luck, so I am hoping someone can assist.

Owned an Inspire 1 for two months now. Immediately swicthed SD cards from the stock one to a ScanDisk Extreme Plus 32gb. The one I was using in my Phantom 2 GoPro.
I finish all sorts of practice operating and practice with videos on the Inspire. Go to my first job with it everything went well, until I check the videos. Not all, actually not even half of the videos saved to the SD. Only a few small clips. Shooting in 4k/30. Still managed to complete the job thankfully, but am worried I won't be so lucky next time.

I re-formatted the card from FAT32 to ExFat. Inspire won't accept it and wants to reformat it on the app itself. So I do that and also switch to 4k/24 instead of 30fps. This time both test videos saved to it one at 32 seconds and another at 6+mins. Also tried a Samsung Evo SD formatted on the app and took three test videos 30ish seconds, 2 mins, and 5mins. All saved successfully.

Then I inserted SD's on a later date and the larger video on the ScanDisk was gone, the Evo they were all still there.

I was told to shoot in 1080 at 60fps and will be confident everything will save with no issues, however I recall also doing a small car show job in 1080/60 and not everything saving.

So Just wondering some helpful hints/advice.
Did it just need formatting on the drone itself? If so, should my worries be lifted now with this issue?
Is it the card?
photo/video Settings on Inspire?
Inspire have a problem?
Anything?

Thanks
UAV creations

2015-10-9
Use props
dave.encoremult
lvl.1

United States

UAV Creations, you are not alone!  I have had the exact same problem.  I use a SanDisk Extreme 32GB HC I and a SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB XC I and I've lost video using both cards.  On several occasions, I hit the record button, I hear a "ding" and I see the time indicator for the video card (at the top of the GO app) counting down.  Then, whether I've shot for a few seconds or a few minutes, at some point it stops and hitting the video start/stop button on the controller does nothing.  I usually shoot in 4K 30p.  We do all production in 4K so dropping down to 1080p it not an option.

What I have been doing since I first discovered this problem is, land, power everything down, wait a few seconds and restart everything.  Most of the time this solves the problem.  Once, it did not.  So, I landed again, switched Inspire batteries and tried again.  It worked.  However, I was sure it had nothing to do with the battery.  In fact, I tried that first battery again after #2 died (#1 still had 90% power) and recording worked fine.  What I do now when I fly for the first time is,  hit the record button on the controller or the button on the GO app, record a few seconds of video and stop it.  I listen for the "dings" and I watch the timecode counting down on the app.  I do it again.  Then, I check the videos.  Sure, all the while I'm burning battery power on the I1 but I'd rather lose a little power and have ALL my video than lose video!  This seems to have solved the problem.  However, It did this little tap dance today then, I started flying and I hit the record button 1 3rd time.  The video started to record but stopped half way through.  The video/photo controls on the GO app stopped working and all info at the top about recording time, format, etc., disappeared!  Again, landed, "rebooted" everything and it worked after that on all three of my batteries.

Conclusion:  It's a weird, random problem and no one seems to know why it occurs.  I do recommend always formatting the card in the Inspire 1.  Since I have been doing this, I have had fewer problems but still some.  It's all very frustrating but I expect some frustration from DJI.  In fact, I think the letters "DJI" are short for Chinese words that mean: Some Frustration Always.  God Luck.
2015-10-9
Use props
uav_creations
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks for the reply Dave, I just cannot figure it out. Today I tried the Samsung card. And I did 2 videos in each 4k/30, 4k/24, and 1080/60. One short video up to 50 seconds and one long one 6+ mins. All saved successfully on this card. I never powered down though just ran the drone continuously.
Now I am wondering if it had to do with the shutting down and rebooting repeatedly, as if the card starts writing over itself when powered back on? On this job there was lots of downtime so was repeatedly shutting down. I don't know. I guess I should just pay more attention to the signs while in flight like you do and then reboot from there should problems arise. Just frustrating to go from 1500 phantom and go pro that never had a single issue to a 4000+ machine and have nothing but. Thanks again
2015-10-9
Use props
btamkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 269291 ft
United States

What tablet are you using?

I had similar problems with the record function while using my Samsung Tab 3, I switched to the new Sammsung Tab S2 and everything has been working fine. Looking into the various problems that are being reported I believe that a lot of them are created by the tablets that are being used. And to further complicate this issue, it may not necessarily be the actual tablet, it may be weather or not it is a stock tablet or a provider tablet that is already loaded with bloat wear. My Tab 3 is from my provider and has enough bloat wear to plug a 4" drain, however the Tab S2 is stock so it may be that a stock Tab 3 would work fine as well.

Blue Sky's to you
Bob
2015-10-10
Use props
jaharrell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15417 ft
United States

Yep, I've had the same problem too.
2015-10-10
Use props
uav_creations
lvl.1
Canada

Hi Bob, I am using an iPad Air
2015-10-10
Use props
btdross
New
Flight distance : 228392 ft
United States

I'm having similar issues.  I see the OP and Dave are using SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and having these issues.  I use the 64GB SanDisk and have this problem plaguing me.  

UAV Creations, are you still finding you aren't having problems on the Samsung card?  It would be a shame if we've all paid a premium for the ultra fast SanDisk cards only to have them giving all sorts of errors (stopping randomly mid recording).

Has anyone tried reaching out to SanDisk to see what they say?  I just passed my 30 days to return the cards on Amazon, oops.  
2015-10-10
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm running the SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro cards and have about 500 flights on them.  Yesterday was my first time flying with the newest iOS GoApp, also the first time with multi reboots of the application while flying (I mostly thought that was my own pilot error in flying overhead so much yesterday).  I was playing with my second radio as a monitor etc.  Upon pulling the disk last night I couldn't get the video folder to open, tried multiple card readers and nothing, tried plugging my computer into the Inspire port to read the card and it wouldn't open.  Checked my "disk Utilites" application on my macbook Pro and it showed that the disk had 22GB of spaced used.  I had reformatted in the Inspire that day so I started with a clean 32GB of storage.  I verified the disk in disk Utilities, then clicked on the "repair disk" and then I was able to open the folder and download the data to another SSD drive.  After a successful download I tried to download the same card again on a different disk and it wouldn't work.  Oddly enough I tried to open the disk this morning and it worked.  About an hour ago I inserted a fresh battery, the disk into the inspire, started up the RC, iPad Air 2, GoApp, then AC.  Calibrated compass, formatted the disk via the GoApp. shot a few clips and everything seems to be working including playback on the iPad and removing and inserting into my Macbook Pro.  I almost think I would have been happier if the disk just flat out didn't work.  Now I have no idea what the issue may have been and worry that it will happen again.  I pretty much use the exact same order of operations overtime I fly, ugh.  I almost wonder if I should start changing SD cards with batteries changes?  

Any thoughts, tips, etc.

Sorry for the long post.
2015-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules