Black and white lines
12629 11 2015-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nichoftime73
New

United States

I have an iphone6 running IOS 9. I have the latest DJI Go update. When I am viewing the camera through the app I get black and white lines randomly on the screen. Anyone know what might be causing that?  It records just fine but annoying when viewing.
2015-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Over exposure? You can adjust that with the right hand wheel on the front of your radio controller.  The wheel is clickable between parameters.
You can also turn that feature off in the app. I find it useful and leave mine turned on.

RedHotPoker
2015-10-9
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

overexposure zebra  you can turn it off in a settings
2015-10-10
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-9 21:08
Over exposure? You can adjust that with the right hand wheel on the front of your radio controller.  ...

What's the best "settings" for these stripes? I found if I reduced the aperture to having very few to no lines, my video comes out way to dark and I can barely see what I'm filming. How much is to much or little?
2015-10-10
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

jayhkr Posted at 2015-10-11 08:23
What's the best "settings" for these stripes? I found if I reduced the aperture to having very few ...

The P3 camera has a fixed aperture...
No camera on earth has a dynamic range equal to the human eye which can deal with highlights and dark shadows on the same spot.
Trying to avoid overexposed areas on your screen (represented by white stripes) is a major mistake common to 99,99% people here : the right exposition setting is when the main subject of your image is well exposed. Camera sensors being what they are it is difficult or impossible to achieve a good expo for both the sky and the ground. That's why we have tools (I use Capture One) to recover highlights and shadows during post processing.
For videos it is a little bit more difficult : apart from a very nice sky, sunrise or sunset which becomes the main subject (and will lead to a dark ground) the main subject is the ground and you have to expose for the ground. I'm not a video expert but here is how I proceed :
1. Always manual setting : usually the scene illumination doesn't change while you are flying so there are absolutely no need to change the settings, even if the camera tilt changes (this is another common mistake)
2. Avoid to put the horizon in the middle : I usually use the rule of third and put the sky in the upper third (or even less)
3. In FCP X (or any video software), if the sky is overexposed, I add a png image over my video : this png is the exact same size as my video and contains only a gradient fill from black to "nothing", starting from the top and ending at 2/3.

The best tool for a correct exposure with the P3 is the histogram.

This is what it gives (extract from video) :

With gradient fill.jpg
Without gradient fill.jpg
2015-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

jayhkr Posted at 2015-10-11 00:23
What's the best "settings" for these stripes? I found if I reduced the aperture to having very few ...

If you can't change your angle of attack, change the time of day you film there.
There is no ultimate setting, as every situation changes. You need to take multiples of pictures in several different settings and judge them individually from that standpoint.
Obviously, we can only work with the Sun star, not against it.
There used to be a simple rule, where we tried not to take many pictures between 10am~2:00pm.
As the brightest natural lighting was the worst, for capturing quality images.
You can set your camera to under expose and over expose, and see how the lighter and darkest areas of the images change.

RedHotPoker
2015-10-10
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-10-11 02:12
No camera on earth has a dynamic range equal to the human eye ...

Thank you, I will give this a shot.  Learning curve here I come.
2015-10-11
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-11 02:55
If you can't change your angle of attack, change the time of day you film there.
There is no ultim ...

Thank you, I try to shoot more towards evening time 5pm or later, but I will try to maybe practice a little of both over and under exposing.  Appreciate your help!
2015-10-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

There is only one way to do it, we practice lots.
That's the big secret of photography, take as many pictures as possible, and scan them to find the keepers.

That's why the HDR function is choice. ;-)
But you will learn the steps better, if you Manually adjust the settings and learn how they change, how much of the available light hits the sensor.

Photo-graphy = literally writing with light.

RedHotPoker
2015-10-11
Use props
Trippintim05
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-10-9 18:08
Over exposure? You can adjust that with the right hand wheel on the front of your radio controller.  The wheel is clickable between parameters.
You can also turn that feature off in the app. I find it useful and leave mine turned on.

Thanks for the advice, i have the p4 with a ipad pro and YOU helped me out. I thouggt i was going to have to send this thing in to dji, bit after reading your post it worked lol THX

Trippintim05
2017-4-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Trippintim05 Posted at 2017-4-14 05:22
Thanks for the advice, i have the p4 with a ipad pro and YOU helped me out. I thouggt i was going to have to send this thing in to dji, bit after reading your post it worked lol THX

Trippintim05

Hey, thank you.... It's nice to be appreciated, even on rare occasions. ;-)

Yes, digital photography is quite wonderful. We can take thousands of pictures to find a few keepers, and simply delete the losers. Hahaha
Unlike our 35mm film days, where we paid for the lot, and had piles of photographs that weren't worth the paper they were printed on....

I look forward to you sharing some of them keepers with the forum. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-4-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ulysse Posted at 2015-10-10 23:12
No camera on earth has a dynamic range equal to the human eye which can deal with highlights and dark shadows on the same spot.
Trying to avoid overexposed areas on your screen (represented by white stripes) is a major mistake common to 99,99% people here : the right exposition setting is when the main subject of your image is well exposed. Camera sensors being what they are it is difficult or impossible to achieve a good expo for both the sky and the ground. That's why we have tools (I use Capture One) to recover highlights and shadows during post processing.

That's a nice capture, very worthy... ;-)

You seem to have a good eye, and your camera is working wonderfully.... Keep at it.

RedHotPoker
2017-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules