2318 12 2015-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

Hi all ,

Question , how often should we replace the propellers ?

I'm guessing that a weakened propeller could snap/break without a warning . Chances are it wouldn't happen during warm up but more during flight .

I'm close to 70 flights and i have not replaced them so far . They still screw on snugly without any problems . I did have 2 minor crashes , well more like mishaps , but still the blades hit the grass/ground on both occasions .

With all the stress cracks debate , i'm thiking that maybe it would be wise to replace the propellers on a regular basis , as it's only a $20 safety insurance . It's just that i have no idea has to what time frame the regular basis would/could be .

Just to be on the safe side i'm replacing them , but any input would confirm if i'm being over cautious or simply carefull .

2015-10-10
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I have 125 flights on my first set.  No crashes.
But I have just replaced them, as I noticed that one of the black props felt a little different, just a little tighter, than the other 3.
As you say for the sake of a few pounds/dollars a little caution will do no harm.
2015-10-10
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

As long as you don't strike anything with your props and there are no cracks around or inside of the hubs, you can continue to use the same set of props. If you fly carefully and store them properly, they should last for years.
2015-10-10
Use props
Viper989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891194 ft
Canada

Good to hear .

Sometimes i kinda go overboard with safety/maintenance of my things .

Well you know what they say ; Better safe than sorry
2015-10-10
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Every now and then I have to wipe 'em down to get the dead bug goo off.  Other than that I'm still on the original set so sheesh, I feel kinda silly for buying 6 pair of spares.
2015-10-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It always depends on how much your remove them and put them back on. This "uses them up" far more than regular flight.

Since I remove each time I replaced mine at about 50 flights (or 50 on-off). Give the low price of the props I think this is cheap insurance.
2015-10-10
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-10-10 11:25
As long as you don't strike anything with your props and there are no cracks around or inside of the ...

I doubt that you can inspect the props by just performing a visual.  I'd be more concerned whether or not they snug up the same as they always did, Once they start to get lose, it's time for the big prop can in the sky and a new set.

If the prop had a set screw that you could tighten against a flat on the motor shaft, or double nutted, the props could get used almost indefinitely provided you didn't see any cracks developing. At that point though, I'd be using the metal hubbed version.
2015-10-10
Use props
silverxrider.me
lvl.2

United States

I replaced mine at 100 flights, not because they showed any signs of wear, but because as a prior UH60 and OH58 crew I am used to life-span limits on components. As there is no 'hour' meter (well, kinda in the flight log) I picked 100 flights as my target to replace 'soft' parts that might wear out. As blades and camera idolaters are cheap there is no reason not to change them, skid 'shoes' (rubber cushion) are another, I even have a complete extra set of air frame screws.... why?, why not? I would hate to have a hub shear because I over looked a small fault.
2015-10-10
Use props
louis.lowveldlu
lvl.2

South Africa

I do a crack test. Make use of  the aerosol die that the metal workers use to mark workpieces. Spray it on en wipe it off before it stain the prop. Inspect the props for hairline cracks.
2015-10-10
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

Why 100 flights? Perhaps we should change them at 50? 20?

Seriously...  they will outlast the other components on your bird.
2015-10-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I replace my props when they start to bend up wards, otherwise i keep flying.
2015-10-10
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-10-10 17:25
As long as you don't strike anything with your props and there are no cracks around or inside of the ...

How should they be stored?
2015-10-11
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

And to think I bought 2 extra sets... and still on original...
2015-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules