12Next >
3874 45 2015-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

So,

As many here say at some point it seems as though your P3 is going to drop out of the sky. Many say its not a matter of if, but when. Hopefully you get many hours of flight before that happens. I have had no issues with my P3 but it is only a month old with several flights.  Running FW 1.1.9 (came on the P3...works just fine....dont dare to upgrade!)

With that in mind, here is how I have my bird set up. Just installed chute today. No way to activate it yet as the Mayday board will not be released for a few more weeks but mine is on preorder from northuav.com

Chute deploys from the bottom. It has a 15degree cant away from the landing gear.

In the second picture:
1. Mars Mini Chute from spacecitydrones.com
2. Mars Mini Mount from spacecitydrones.com
3. Trackimo GPS Locater
4. UAV Bits Strong arm plates
5. Gimble Holder

Not Pictured:
1. Gimbal Protector
2. Trackimo Mount (EBay)
3. Mayday Board (on pre-order from northuav.com ships 11/1) See first picture.
4. Small 3v Battery for Mayday Board (keeps it totally automatous in case of P3 power failure!)

My thinking is hopefully if (or more like when) it fails in mid-air, the mayday board will realize what is happening and deploy the chute and hopefully eliminate or severly reduce any damage. And with the trackimo  (which has its limitations as well), I will be able to find it!  Wonder when the day will come that I find out if it all works or not!!!...   

The UAV Bits.....only time will tell if they work.  But cant hurt for the money.

Anyone else have something similar?

Thoughts anyone?

Joe
South of Buffalo, New York (USA)

WIN_20151011_19_51_00_Pro.jpg
mayday board.jpg
2015-10-11
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Man that's awesome I have been watching with interest to see the mayday board and mars chute definitely gonna get me one.
2015-10-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It occurs to me that without stopping the props first, the chute shroud lines would get caught up in the props. From what I read of the Mayday board, it has no knowledge of what is happening to the props.
2015-10-11
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

This is what Kyle from northuav says about how the Mayday board works:

"How could it (Mayday) analyze the flight data to determine if something went wrong if it is not hooked in? "
The Mayday uses its own sensors and IMU to monitor your flight patterns and automatically detect when your quadcopter is crashing. It takes into account falling speed, angular velocity, and other key metrics to make its decision.
2015-10-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

joepilly2 Posted at 2015-10-12 13:03
This is what Kyle from northuav says about how the Mayday board works:

It may do all that, but if it triggers and the chute pops out while the props are still turning, what is to stop the shroud lines getting wound up in the props? Seems to me the prop would bind up and stop and the chute would be useless.
2015-10-11
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

how heavy is it?
2015-10-11
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

I'm not sure but I would assume it would require l the motors to stop in order for it to pitch, flip, or decend in a manner to deploy the chute.
2015-10-11
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-12 10:15
how heavy is it?

99 grams
2015-10-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

joepilly2 Posted at 2015-10-12 13:17
I'm not sure but I would assume it would require l the motors to stop in order for it to pitch, flip ...

I'm sorry, but there is no guarantee that the motors would stop first, could be a bird strike taking out only one prop. The Mayday board most likely contains an accelerometer to work out if the aircraft is wildly pitching and based on that it would deploy the chute. In many cases, the props on a Phantom are still running for some time after it hits the ground, it would be a touch too late then to pop the chute.

2015-10-11
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-12 10:26
I'm sorry, but there is no guarantee that the motors would stop first, could be a bird strike taki ...

Obviously no countermeasure will work in every single situation. In many cases where P3s are falling for no reason, this could save the bird for sure.  It seems as though the product is clearly not for you.....until its too late...lol.   
2015-10-11
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

More wight = less flight time. Lean to fly and don't worry out it. I haven't seen many motor failures ... if any
2015-10-11
Use props
joepilly2
lvl.1

United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-10-12 10:37
More wight = less flight time. Lean to fly and don't worry out it. I haven't seen many motor failure ...

I have not timed my flight time, but havent noticed a loss. Might be losing two or three minutes.  Hasent been enough to notice.  

Learning to fly has not much to do with many of the p3s failing.
2015-10-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

joepilly2 Posted at 2015-10-12 13:33
Obviously no countermeasure will work in every single situation. In many cases where P3s are falli ...

Try Googling 'Helicopter parachute' to find out why they are not used. Similar to a chocolate teapot.
2015-10-11
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

WOW you look you are expecting some real trouble flying.  Looks like overkill but I too will be interested in how it works.
2015-10-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting. I was thinking about this today in the AM. Weird.
2015-10-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just thinking, I live in Nw England which is very laden with trees. My luck the Chute would grab the first branch on the treetop. Then someone would use my Phantom for target practice.
2015-10-12
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

You are going to have so much in accessories cost that you about could have bought another one in the event of a freak failure.. The thing is going to wear out. Chances are you will have hundreds of flights without issue and that you will be ready to upgrade way before you have any issues. Just quit fretting crashes and go enjoy flying!!! These platforms have proven their ability. ;)
2015-10-12
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-10-12 15:42
You are going to have so much in accessories cost that you about could have bought another one in th ...

Jim I do agree with you to a point... but I do worry about damaging property or hurting someone if it should fail. I guess i would worry less if I had somewhere convenient to fly  that was not densely populated.

I am all for these kinds of add-ons if they are reasonable and do not degrade performance within reason. I just wish a manufacturer would include a recovery safety system in their products.. It seems to me in the long run it would save them from the bad impression the general public has about these products.

Butch
2015-10-12
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-13 04:49
Jim I do agree with you to a point... but I do worry about damaging property or hurting someone if ...

That is so true! A falling rock right? I guess they want to give people a way to make some "after the sale" cash. Or to reduce the cost of the initial investment. Good point!
2015-10-17
Use props
Joe Blow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-10-12 15:49
Jim I do agree with you to a point... but I do worry about damaging property or hurting someone if ...

Awesome reply Butch.  Recovery systems are coming and one day they will be mandatory.  Its all about safety  or the perception of safety.  You can think your bullet proof and that nothing will ever happen with your DJI3P. Thats not thinking, thats wishing.   Its like fire insurance, everyone buys it but very few actually file a claim.  Its not if its coming but when.

2015-10-17
Use props
JerEl
lvl.2

Poland

Joe Blow Posted at 2015-10-17 21:58
Awesome reply Butch.  Recovery systems are coming and one day they will be mandatory.  Its all abo ...

"Awesome reply Butch.  Recovery systems are coming and one day they will be mandatory.  Its all about safety  or the perception of safety.  You can think your bullet proof and that nothing will ever happen with your DJI3P. Thats not thinking, thats wishing.   Its like fire insurance, everyone buys it but very few actually file a claim.  Its not if its coming but when."

Exactly Joe.  That's why I fly with a Flytrex.  I've had two "uncontrolled landings" and a parachute system wouldn't have helped in either one, nor would the Flytrex.  In both the P3 was not damaged other a little dirt and grass stains.  But a parachute system that could be actuated by different factors including a pilot initiated activation would be extremely helpful in many cases.  There have been a number of battery or power failures.

Another thing is that most of these parachute systems are propelled out and away from the aircraft so that the cords clear the props giving time for the chute to open.  Then the drag of the chute will tip the craft over and even with full power the drone will probably just do circles in the sky as it descends.
2015-10-17
Use props
jngriffiths
lvl.1

New Zealand

Hi, i'm digging up an older post by the looks of things. I'm also looking into the Mars Mini and Mayday. I also think that yes unless the P# has good power, it'll fall and the parachute will effectively tip it upside down.

I realise that during the warranty period if you can show a crash was product malfunction you get it replaced, but I'd rather some sort of safe guard.

Anyone else fitted this? More importantly, I wonder if any one has been flying with it for a while and HAD to use it?? or had it misfire and actually being the cause of a crash?

joepilly2 - How are you getting on?
2016-1-8
Use props
DroPro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1134285 ft

I think a parachute linked to an automatic activation device is fantastic as it might reduce the risk of hurting or even killing somebody if the Phantom falls down. The probability that a skydiver needs his automatic activation device is probably much lower than the probability that a Phantom needs it - but almost every skydiver uses one whereas many Phantom pilots think they don't need it.

But Geebax made a very good point which holds me back from buying such a system. How can such a system guarantee that the parachute will open without the lines being tangled or even cut by spinning props?
2016-1-8
Use props
jngriffiths
lvl.1

New Zealand

"DroPro - But Geebax made a very good point which holds me back from buying such a system. How can such a system guarantee that the parachute will open without the lines being tangled or even cut by spinning props?"

IMHO if the drone is definitely going to crash then I'd rather take the chance of a parachute (which costs a fraction of the price of my drone) being cut and ruined. The logic being that the drone is going to crash either way, but at least with a parachute there is a chance of it being saved. There are only 2 possibilities that a cut  parachute is really a deal breaker to me.

1. The parachute is deployed when it shouldn't have in which case the parachute gets tangled and the drone crashes when it wouldn't have otherwise.
2. The drone is out of control and is going to crash but maybe would otherwise guild it self to the ground somehow and only sustain minor damage, but instead the parachute deploys, get cut and guarantees it falls like a rock. I find this very very unlikely.

My thoughts are that if the drone is out of control enough for the Mayday system to deploy the drone has a near 100% chance of being destroyed anyway, so if the parachute doesn't work. I'm no worse off.

My major concern is if the parachute falsely deploys and causes my drone to crash, which I think would most definitely occur if the rotors are still going and the drone isn't really out of control at all.

If the mayday never falsely deploys I can't see a single negative to having a parachute with mayday except maybe slighty reduced flight time.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has flown with a mayday since it came out.
2016-1-8
Use props
jngriffiths
lvl.1

New Zealand

The example Geebax made of 1 rotor being taken out is a good example whereby the drone is almost certainly going to crash even though 3 rotors are going. It seems like a parachute with only a 50% chance of saving the drone is better than no parachute.
2016-1-8
Use props
BobW
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20610 ft
United States

I received both the Mayday and Mars Mini a couple weeks ago. First thing I found out is that there is no support for the Mac. Can't download the firmware. Very little information on how to test the system, or how everything goes together. No battery, no cable. Yes, there is a video on how to put a dozen screws in. One of the pins is called a signal. I had to ask Kyle what that is for before I could get any idea about it. I think this system is imcompleat and needs some time before it can be used.
2016-1-22
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 454111 ft
Latvia

Hey, everyone!
2016-1-23
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Latvia

Sorry, I'm writing from my phone.
2016-1-23
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Latvia

anyways. We have available system that weights 104 grams. It includes parachute that stands on landing gear (it doesn't block camera). And what's most important, if triggers with separate remote control (you can call it as "panic button". And it's just a small remote, not bulky giant one ). This way you fully control it (call me old fashioned but i trust myself more). This way you can at least try to power of props while parachute is deploying.  Price is approximately 270$ (+shipping) for parachute system and remote. Ships from Europe. If anyone is interested you can contact me.
2016-1-23
Use props
chrissttian
lvl.1

Romania

mareks Posted at 2016-1-23 23:34
anyways. We have available system that weights 104 grams. It includes parachute that stands on la ...

Hi Mark,

I`am interested to hear more about your safety sistem. I want to buy for people safety and peace of mind. Drone safety it`s last.

I have some question:
- 104 grams with mounting, mayday and parachute arc?
- are you shure that this sistem does not deploy by mistake?
- this price is including everything: parachute, arc, mayday, remote, mounting sistem?
- how much it`s shipping to Romania?

Thank you Mark.
2016-2-2
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Latvia

chrissttian Posted at 2016-2-3 03:57
Hi Mark,

I`am interested to hear more about your safety sistem. I want to buy for people safety ...

Hi.
104 grams weights parachute system + 16 grams weights receiver module what you must install on Phantom. So total weight is 120 grams on Phantom.
This system deploys ONLY when you press deploy button on remote (see attachment).Price includes all of this.
Ill find out about price to Romania.
eject-ph3-front-500x500.jpg
eject-ph3-nogi-500x500.jpg
rc-01-trans-hand-500x500.jpg
2016-2-5
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

mareks Posted at 2016-2-5 13:28
Hi.
104 grams weights parachute system + 16 grams weights receiver module what you must install o ...

What is the RF range of the secondary remote to the P3? on a P3A, P3P with lightbridge, we have a very long range. Will the range of this secondary remote even make it the same distance as the P3A, P3P?
2016-2-5
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Latvia

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-2-5 23:12
What is the RF range of the secondary remote to the P3? on a P3A, P3P with lightbridge, we have a  ...

Frequency, MHz        868
Distance, m        (2000-3000 direct view)

Remember that you should always keep your Phantom in sight.
2016-2-5
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

mareks Posted at 2016-2-5 16:30
Frequency, MHz        868
Distance, m        (2000-3000 direct view)

Is that frequency authorized for that use in the United States?
2016-2-5
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Latvia

MSGNitro Posted at 2016-2-5 23:37
Is that frequency authorized for that use in the United States?

No idea. We are based in EU so you have to find out that by yourself.
If frequency is banned you can use your own transmitter. Parachute system alone costs 125 $
2016-2-5
Use props
MSGNitro
lvl.3

United States

mareks Posted at 2016-2-5 16:51
If frequency is banned you c ...

Thank you. I believe that frequency has other uses in the US and could potentially interfere with other systems. I'll try to research over the weekend.

Thanks again!
2016-2-5
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

mareks Posted at 2016-2-6 05:30
Frequency, MHz        868
Distance, m        (2000-3000 direct view)

U.S. Public Safety radio bands used by firefighters, police and other emergency radios use 806-824 MHZ and 851-869 MHZ.
So I would consider creating a U.S. transmitter....not everyone is technicolly inclinded as to how to switch transmitters them selves.
2016-2-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It would be good to see a video clip of one of these parachute recovery systems in action. I don't believe that it will work unless the props are stopped before deploying the chute. If you disagree, post a video of it working.
2016-2-5
Use props
mplatsakis
lvl.2
Greece

mareks Posted at 2016-2-5 23:51

Iwont bay one off this .we're i fund you send my yours email
Thanks maik
2016-2-6
Use props
mplatsakis
lvl.2
Greece

mareks Posted at 2016-2-5 23:51

Iwont bay one off this .we're i fund you send my yours email
Thanks maik
2016-2-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules