Standard or Advanced?
1324 14 2015-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hnupe3
lvl.1

United States

I am within 30 days or buying a Phantom 3.....I am newbie, however my budget allows for an "Advanced".  Since I am a newbie should I stick with Standard or would I do ok with Advanced even thought I am a newbie?

Thanks
2015-10-14
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

Advanced. They both fly the same, but the Advanced has many advantages more than worth the extra money if you can afford it.
2015-10-14
Use props
ceaton76
lvl.2

United States

Don't live with regret get the advanced!
2015-10-14
Use props
ceaton76
lvl.2

United States

I think you will regret getting the standard.
2015-10-14
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Like the others said, get the advanced.  You'll regret getting the standard within a day or two.  Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but if you are used to seeing all the videos and reading the forums, you'll expect more from it than it will do.
2015-10-14
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Are you a newbie?
2015-10-14
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Get an advanced!
2015-10-15
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Advanced if you can afford the difference.. You will always regret getting the Standard ( if the budget allowed an Advanced )
2015-10-15
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

definitely Advanced.

P3A all the way!
2015-10-15
Use props
fvnaguib
lvl.3
United States

Advanced, it is worth the $300 extra.
2015-10-15
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

Depends on your budget - I have the standard and it does all I want it to do - if budget is no options then why consider just standard vs advanced - go inspire - advance will give you greater distance and I cant think of any disadvantages other than you can update the firmware over wifi with the standard although there are rumours of it coming to Advanced and professional as well.

Some of the advantages of the advanced include - more buttons on your RC, a bigger phone tablet holder so you can fit most tablets on it, greater range due to lightbridge - the ability to plug your phone/tablet into the RC.  Access to more satalites meaning you have less chance of losing gps - that said there are not many standard owners complaining about fly aways on here which could be down to the fact they dont fly so far or just there are less of them about

I have no regrets getting a standard as it does all I want it to do within the limitations of the law and I dont exceed the limits set here in the uk.  My view was by the time I was ready to upgrade I would probably go for an inspire or there would be a phantom 4 out by then but what I have is doing just fine for me.  One thing to consider is though if you have the budget for the advanced and got the standard could you spend the extra money on accessories that you wont be able to afford if you get the advanced such as spare batteries etc.

I hope that helps - most people will always say go for the advanced or professional but they havent owned a standard to compare - I can only give you my experience as a standard owner having not owned the advanced - good luck with your purchase!
2015-10-15
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

get the advanced. You will be so glad you spent the extra money.
2015-10-15
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

Stan1970 Posted at 2015-10-15 13:58
Depends on your budget - I have the standard and it does all I want it to do - if budget is no optio ...

A seconder here.  

Bought a standard when it was first introduced at $799 (did receive a free battery when DJI lower the price).  What the standard lacks are VPS, longer range, and direct camera controls on the RC.  When flying outdoor, VPS does not seem to be needed.  Losing VPS makes the standard version lighter and hence can fly longer (my record on healthydrone is 19m47s which was done on a very windy day).  The flight range is good enough for me and I reached 1.8km when flying over the ocean, and today I reached 1.6km in wood areas.  The camera sensor is not BSI, but I find the photos good enough for me.  Maybe BSI is better at night, but I am not ready to fly in the dark yet.

Anyway, whatever you choose, you shall be happy and no need to look back.

Cheers!
DJI_0261.JPG
2015-10-15
Use props
DaveReidPhoto
lvl.2

Australia

as someone who was gifted a standard......... i am very happy with my standard.

if i had my time again i would get the pro / adv but you wont be disappointed if you get a standard and you are after making "good" videos.  

as others said, the adv / pro are far better.
2015-10-15
Use props
gongml
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595413 ft
Canada

gongml Posted at 2015-10-15 18:05
A seconder here.  

Bought a standard when it was first introduced at $799 (did receive a free ba ...

Here is a shot of the bird in action.
PA153721.jpg
2015-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules