Photo samples edited
7141 2 2014-12-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
redleader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Posting photos here is a nightmare, sorry for using external links.

We're all going crazy waiting for any news about the Inspire, and I know I can't be the only one to have scoured the web looking for videos, reviews, photos, or any news at all. I've read the manual 5 times!

I'm focused more on the photography side of things, though video pays more and I'll be using that juicy 4k to sell videos to every hotel I can find. So I was excited to find this (http://www.visual-aerials.com/dji-inspire-1.html) review with actual straight-from-camera DNG RAW files to download and play with.

Dynamic range is what I was most interested in. I think DJI based the camera sensor in the Inspire on the GoPro's sensor, in which case the camera probably has a dynamic range of 7 or 8. Being able to handle bright and dark in the same frame is obviously vital, and judging by the sample photos online it looks like the camera is pretty solid for still photography. But you're always going to get shadows and highlights, I wanted to see how far I could push the DNG files from the camera in post-production.

First sample. Not much terribly wrong, rocky feature in the top left is quite dark so I wanted to pull the exposure a little to get the detail back there.

Ground area exposure increased by about 1 and 1/2 stops. The sensor has done pretty well here and captured a good amount of detail you might not notice at first. None of the snow is blown-out, you can see detail in the snow in the bottom left corner, and the rocks in the top left have all their details when dodged by almost two stops.

Second sample. Not too difficult for the sensor here, the nice cloud shadows probably being the darkest areas. I was interested in sharpness here and was impressed to see sharp details all over the photo. Check out the wave ripples in the bottom left corner. In the original (these are smaller versions) you can make out the Inspire's operator on the beach.

A bit of exposure adjustments, contrast, and sharpness. Very noticeable vignetting in all corners though, particuarly the right-hand side of the frame. This looks like the (ND?) filter's frame is actually coming into frame.

Third sample. Not a very demanding photo to test the dynamic range, but a really nice shot and lots to be stoked about. Those cliffs and rocks are a little dark.

Such a cool shot. Again, check out the original and you can find the operator (this should become a new game, post drone pics, find the operator). Sharpness is great and check out the texture in thoser waves! Still some vignetting on the right-hand side. Pulled those cliffs out of the shadows easily.

So? Well just like all of you, I'm impressed with what I've seen of the Inspire so far and going crazy waiting for them to arrive. Without really testing conditions it's difficult to judge but from these DNG RAW files I'm excited. Seems sharp all over the image and hopefully that vignetting problem will be fixed before shipping.
2014-12-18
Use props
pauldean85
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Vignetting will only be a problem for me until they have a Lightroom profile for the lens. I'm really pleased with the amount of range that can be brought out of the samples. Just counting the hours now until mine arrives....
2014-12-18
Use props
redleader
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I dont think that vignetting is caused by the lens. I think it's caused by the outside rim of the ND or CP filter coming into the camera's field of view.
2014-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules