Map Pilot for iOS now supports Inspire 1 Pro
12Next >
8009 41 2015-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Maps Made Easy is proud to release the Map Pilot app for iOS.
The Map Pilot app helps you create and fly the optimal flight path to create great maps using the Maps Made Easy map processing service. Creating high resolution aerial maps with your DJI flying camera is just a few clicks away. Mapping has never been easier.

Define the area, select the level of detail, and go.

After months of beta testing and listening to the feature requests of our testers, we have developed the go-to application for taking real mapping data.

Supported Drones
  • Inspire 1 Pro
  • Inspire 1
  • Phantom 3 Standard
  • Phantom 3 Professional
  • Phantom 3 Advanced
  • Matrice 100

Features
  • Multi-Flight Coordination
  • Multi-Battery Management
  • Basemap Caching for Offline Operations
  • Save Missions
  • Refly Saved Missions
  • Accurate Job Size Estimates
  • Fullest Possible Use of Each Battery
  • Appropriate Camera Triggering
  • Overlap Management
  • Speed Management
  • Auto Land
  • Live Video Preview (large and small)
  • Signal Quality Warning
  • Line of Sight Indicator
  • Automatically Captures Elevation Reference Image (Ground Image)
  • Natural Landing Assistance
  • Live Map View

Easily upload the images to Maps Made Easy for processing or use your own image stitching software.

Compatible with the same supported devices as the DJI Go app. Requires iOS 9.

For more details or support, please check out the Map Pilot for DJI suppport page.

p1.jpg
Automaticallly resume where the last battery left off.

p2.jpeg
Natural landing assistance.

p3.jpeg
Flexible settings.

Known bloggers can contact us for promotional codes.

2015-10-16
Use props
imcoosen
lvl.3

Netherlands

Nice sale's pitch but does it work on 1.2 firmware?
2015-10-16
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi when will the Inspire Pro app be out

Chrees
2015-10-16
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-10-17 00:42
Hi when will the Inspire Pro app be out

Chrees

It will be in our next release. We have been testing with one and the results for 3D modeling are beautiful.
2015-10-17
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

imcoosen Posted at 2015-10-16 22:26
Nice sale's pitch but does it work on 1.2 firmware?

1.2 firmware was released before the intelligent flight modes were added, so probably not. If the firmware doesn't support it, the app can't program the flight properly.
2015-10-17
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will it be available for android?
2015-10-17
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-17 16:45
It will be in our next release. We have been testing with one and the results for 3D modeling are  ...

Thanks for that when will the next release be a rough date if poss.
Have purchased you app would prefer to run it on my Inspire Pro

cheers Tony
2015-10-18
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-10-17 09:18
Will it be available for android?

Currently we are not planning on releasing an Android version.
2015-10-18
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-10-18 04:16
Thanks for that when will the next release be a rough date if poss.
Have purchased you app would p ...

We are planning on submitting an update this week. The last review took about 9 days start to finish.

In the mean time, you can run the app and just use one notch higher overlap than you would otherwise.
2015-10-18
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-18 12:20
Currently we are not planning on releasing an Android version.

And may I ask Why not for the android?
2015-10-18
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-18 17:22
We are planning on submitting an update this week. The last review took about 9 days start to fini ...

Thanks for your help much appreciated
2015-10-18
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-10-18 11:32
And may I ask Why not for the android?

It basically requires and full rewrite of the application. There is no way to covert an app. It has to be rewritten in a different language for a different operating system. It essentially doubles the cost of development to offer both. We would rather focus on providing a great app for one operating system than an OK one for two.
2015-10-19
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-19 13:12
It basically requires and full rewrite of the application. There is no way to covert an app. It ha ...

I understand that but us android user will be left out
2015-10-19
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

pidetectives@ya Posted at 2015-10-19 11:15
I understand that but us android user will be left out

Sorry about that... We are open to it, but we have to know it will make sense for us to invest the development time.
2015-10-22
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

Have looked at your website before as well as DroneDeploy.  As MME is iOS focused, DD is Android centric for DJI platforms (currently, but the website says iOS is coming....).
What are MME's strengths/differences as compared to DD other than supported OS?
FWIW, I'm using iOS and very interested in mapping as a business model and for research in my studies/classes.
Thanks,
2015-10-22
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2015-10-22 12:51
Have looked at your website before as well as DroneDeploy.  As MME is iOS focused, DD is Android cen ...

We haven't had a look at the pricing for their new fully automated cloud system but we have heard that our system will process larger jobs, deliver outputs faster, have equivalent or higher quality and end up being cheaper. All small jobs under 52 images are free to mess around with and we give 200 acres worth of free processing at the get go. Check our front page for details: https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com

For larger jobs after the initial trial period we offer pay-as-you-go point packages that don't require any long term commitment or subscriptions.

We'd love to have you try it out and let us know what you think.
2015-10-22
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3686975 ft
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-22 11:39
Sorry about that... We are open to it, but we have to know it will make sense for us to invest the ...

Does it work with a ipad mini 4 wifi/cellular? ipad 4 mini works great with the DJI GO
2015-10-22
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

BRENT1956@GMAIL Posted at 2015-10-22 15:28
Does it work with a ipad mini 4 wifi/cellular? ipad 4 mini works great with the DJI GO

Yes. Although there was an issue in our deployment for iPad that has a slight bug. A fix has already been submitted. We expect the update to be approved any day now.

http://support.dronesmadeeasy.co ... ack-Button-on-iPad-
2015-10-22
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

$9.99 really? I was expecting as least triple that. I have never done mapping, nor do I have any need to do so, but for that price I got to play.
2015-10-22
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

remltr Posted at 2015-10-22 18:43
$9.99 really? I was expecting as least triple that. I have never done mapping, nor do I have any nee ...

Shall we make it more expensive?!?
2015-10-23
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.2
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-22 14:10
We haven't had a look at the pricing for their new fully automated cloud system but we have heard  ...

Thanks for the reply and info.  I've looked quite closely at your website and will try it out. At the earliest it will be the last week of November if conditions permit.  I have access to a 42 acre rural parcel that will be used for testing.  I've been playing with the Flight Planner on the website for point estimates and the basics on mapping the 42.  Pricing structure is easy to understand.  Have also read the info at the Map Pilot for DJI pages.  I'm looking forward to using it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Thanks!
---and please don't make it more expensive!--  lol!
2015-10-23
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-23 06:55
Shall we make it more expensive?!?

Sure, go ahead. I already bought in at the lower price.
2015-10-23
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

remltr Posted at 2015-10-23 20:21
Sure, go ahead. I already bought in at the lower price.

We ARE NOT making it more expensive. We have already gotten emails about this post... There really does need to be a sarcasm font.
2015-10-24
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-24 10:44
We ARE NOT making it more expensive. We have already gotten emails about this post... There really ...

Sorry if our joking is causing you issues. I thought the emojis would clue people in that is was all in jest.

I flew your app today and have to say the flight went smoothly. I have yet to process the images so I don't know how that will go, but I suspect it will go smoothly as well.
2015-10-25
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I tried to upload my test images, but after selecting the images nothing happens. The next button does not become active.

If I hover over the "select images to upload" I can see the image files that have been selected.

Any advice on how to complete this upload?

Thank you.

Untitled-1.jpg
2015-10-25
Use props
fabio.robin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111434 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Good morning. We purchased your APP Map Pilot. We set up a mission of aerial photography but for each frame taken we cannot get the GPS coordinates . What is the procedure to get the GPS coordinates of each frame ? Thank you in advance Greetings
2015-10-26
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

remltr Posted at 2015-10-25 15:25
I tried to upload my test images, but after selecting the images nothing happens. The next button do ...

Please send in a help ticket through mapping@dronesmadeeasy.com to handle this offline.
2015-10-26
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

fabio.robin@ali Posted at 2015-10-26 08:17
Good morning. We purchased your APP Map Pilot. We set up a mission of aerial photography but for eac ...

Please send in a help ticket for this too. It is likely that the tags of the images are getting modified or deleted by a photo management software. It happens all the time...

Be sure to take the images directly off the SD card using a file manager and upload them from there.
2015-10-26
Use props
agbu
lvl.1

Germany

Hope this is the right  place to ask some questions regarding your new app, which looks quite interesting:

* What is the minimum time interval between taking two pictures when using your app in combination with an Inspire 1?

* Can we control the camera gimbal before or during the mission? I would like to have it look downwards at 45 degrees instead of the 90 degrees which I assume you normally use?

Thanks!
2015-10-28
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

agbu Posted at 2015-10-28 08:49
Hope this is the right  place to ask some questions regarding your new app, which looks quite intere ...

The app automatically takes and image as fast as once every 2.5 seconds depending on your speed, altitude and desired overlap.

Once the aircraft has ascended to the cruising altitude, you can adjust the gimbal however you want. We have been recommending that people manually knock it forward to 45 degrees or so for capturing verticals for 3D modeling.
2015-10-28
Use props
agbu
lvl.1

Germany

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-10-28 23:00
The app automatically takes and image as fast as once every 2.5 seconds depending on your speed, a ...

Great, thanks!
2015-10-29
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Map Pilot, Inspire Pro has les flying time, I presume this is not yet built-in to the app???? Obviously this will affect the the way the app works out battery duration
2015-10-30
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-10-30 21:12
Hi Map Pilot, Inspire Pro has les flying time, I presume this is not yet built-in to the app???? Obv ...

We haven't added support for the Inspire Pro yet because DJI hasn't added SDK support for it.

The Inspire Pro's short battery life will certainly be a barrier to us adding support. The automated battery return to home trigger will probably still work. Hopefully... But all the planning will require the pilot to know how long they are comfortable flying for and setting a Battery Timer limitation in the Map Pilot settings.
2015-11-2
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331923 ft
United States

It works OK. Unfortunately 80% of my "Offline Map" was processed.

For example, I attached the screenshot of the offline map. You will see the baseball park is completely covered (before): https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6gwtcr0fg7v4k8/IMG_0034.PNG?dl=0

Here is the final processed project (after):
https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/map ... 41fb27788f9cd014812

Here is the actual picture, showing it was over the bottom-right (in the lake area), just to prove the Phantom 3 was over that area, so should be no reason whyit wasn't stitched in the final processed mapping:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cswekj8owa3gvq/DJI_0433.JPG?dl=0

As you can see, the right-side of the baseball park is cut off, rendering this processed images useless. Also, the top-left corner is chopped off as well.
I selected the extra 3D vertical, which doesn't look anything like the 3D sample. My processed 3D is a flat image 3D. Not a textured 3D like the sample, not sure why that is.
Also found a bug where if you are running a 2 battery mission, but only complete 1 battery, you cannot start another survey unless you delete the offline map associated to the 2 battery flight.

I've created a support ticket and hope someone responds. It's a great concept, but doesn't seem ready for primetime.
2015-11-17
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

nightrider1383@ Posted at 2015-11-17 10:51
It works OK. Unfortunately 80% of my "Offline Map" was processed.

For example, I attached the scre ...

Your support ticket was responded to on the November 12th and your already free points were replaced.

As was posted in the support ticket's response, the flat model is clearly not what it is supposed to turn out like. We suspect is has something to do with our maximum flight speed being too high. We might have to knock it down for our next release for lower altitudes.

It is also possible that the wind speed and direction might have something to do with it since that will give inconsistent groundspeed between passes and will adversely affect our ability to reconstruct accurately. We highly recommend rotating the flight path to be perpendicular to the prevailing wind direction.

The "bug" you describe is the way it was designed to operate. The idea is that you recall a saved mission and fly it over and over. If you want to create a new mission reusing the cached basemap you can do so only after clearing the saved mission's flight waypoints.
2015-11-18
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-11-18 17:10
Your support ticket was responded to on the November 12th and your already free points were replac ...

I checked both my inbox and spam messages dating Nov 12 and found no emails, which is why I replied in the forums.

As for the 3D model, do you recommend a speed and altitude this will work for?
2015-11-19
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

nightrider1383@ Posted at 2015-11-19 06:35
I checked both my inbox and spam messages dating Nov 12 and found no emails, which is why I replie ...

Sorry to hear that. We use Zendesk for our customer service and messages do occasionally get blocked. Make sure that you can get email messages with subjects that start with "[Drones Made Easy]" or are from the email address you sent it to. We almost always reply within a few hours. You should be able to log into the support.dronesmadeeasy.com site to see the original reply.

Map Pilot generally tries to set the fastest speed possible for the aircraft to fly given an altitude. Currently, the overlap and altitude are the only things we are planning the speed around. The goal is to be able to take an image every 2.5 seconds.

You can certainly limit the aircraft speed to whatever you want in the settings. Slower is better in low light conditions and when flying low with tall objects being mapped.

If you are not doing a large area, you should be able to put the speed limit down to 5 m/s and fly around 50m (depending on how tall you local objects are - aim to be 4 to 5x higher than the tallest object).

If you are trying to do full 3D modeling for structures or other complex vertical features, we recommend doing two missions. One normal and one rotated 90 degrees to get a crisscrossed pattern.

Also, to get good oblique images that don't include the horizon, you need to manually adjust the gimbal up 45 degrees or so from nadir once the aircraft heads from the waypoint directly overhead to the first waypoint.
2015-11-19
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
United States

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-11-19 12:38
Sorry to hear that. We use Zendesk for our customer service and messages do occasionally get block ...

Thanks for the information. I'll fly the same area again (baseball field). I'll fly lower, slower, and do the diagonal direction like you suggested. Thanks for your time.
2015-11-20
Use props
ovisopa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1488609 ft
Romania

I used the app a few times and I really like it but there are a few things that I think it can be improved.

1. Change the direction of the path generated.
2. Beeing able to make shapes that have some narrower zones, now if I place a dot inside , it is ignored 01fea154e6c656c4a3b7a3f4c231ca55ae72b30c48.jpg

3. In settings on the Battery section, what does it mean by Battery Limited ? How low it flyes before it returns to homepoint ? Can we see the battery voltage also (been flying diy hexas for years and I'm used to see voltages, not percentage)

4. Can we change the homepoint while flying a mission ? Can it set the homepoint from the remote controller position ? You can see in the picture bellow that the homepoint was set quite far away (1km away), this is because in the previeous days I photographed the area between the homepoint and the new path, I started this mission today from exactly the same place I started in previousmissions so all the photos will be from 115m above this point (about this altitude I'll have another request but don't think it will be possible, will talk more on #6) it estimated one battery, I set the limit time to 16 minutes. I always take off myself and go up to the set altitude , than press START. While  the Inspire was flying to the green dot I also drived the road so I will be closer to the Inspire, all good untill the last 2 lines, the Inspire decided to go home to change the pack, I pressed STOP and try to bring it back to me, right in the middle of the area photographed but altrough the arrow was pointing to me, to my new location when moving the right stick of the controller away from me, the inspire should have come closer , but the oposite happent, it went farther away, going to the initial homepoint, if I was moving the yaw the arrow rotated but somehow it wasnt to good direction. I had to switch to P and fly it down (I had another issue as the DJI GO app didn't reconnect and I didn't had the correct direction, but I managed to land it safely with 19% battery, after driving fast with the car to where the inspire was flying / waiting in the air , spot on at 115m)
01460d0dd15cb5d83ac1a018f4172591d105b9bf87.jpg

5. Can you save permantently how much of the mission was done? it happent to me that I couldn't continue the mission in the same day, and I had to return the next day or when weather allows, I had to do another mission with the unphotographed area. It would be great if the progress was saved and on the next time you load the mission to ask if you want to start over or continue from where you stopped it last time.

6. Is there a way to set the mission altitude by actual altitude from sea level and not from takeoff point ? Because I had to photograph a quite high area , and I think a set of images sent for processing has to be made from the same altitude (please ignore this request if MME can process the images even if they ware not made from the same altitude and let me know if there are any cons or issues I could have in the processing process) I had to fly for 1 km without making any photo and wasting the battery just to reach the next area to be photographed. It will be great if we can set the flying altitude to the real altitude from sea level, this way I can start a mission from different places to minimize flying without making photos. I know my house is situated at 450m altitude (from sea level) It will be awesome to be able to set the flying altitude to 500m, and be able to take off from the hill next to me , or from the lake a few hundreds meters away which is at a lower level, and send the whole images to be processed at once.

7. It happent to me twice, don't know why and if because I had the latest firmware files on the SD card, I updated now a week ago and didn't delelted them. So after flying a mission, the first part of the mission returned to homepoint, swapped battery and I get an error when I try to upload the mission , an error about SD card, I did not changed the sd, just landed and changed packs. After that I restarted Map Pilot, ofcorse the progress was lost and I had to make another mission (another reason to have the option of my 5th request) .. the things went even worse as it started to do the firmware update (everything was already updated a week ago) .. I stopped the updated process (bad , I know) and it didn't link the RC .. came back home and tryed again the firmware update, but it failed twice, linking RC didn;t worked, I had to downgrade to  v01.05.00.30 and than upgrade again and everything was fine.
Long story short: keep the firmware V01.06.00.40 files on SD, upload a mission, fly it partialy, return to homepoint, change pack and power up the Inspire, try to upload the mission

phuu ,.. what a long post! Hope you guys are patient enough to read it

Hmm I don't know why the picture with the motors was placed here, I uploaded it months ago, not now!?!?!!
dji_inspire_quick_release_prop_lock.jpg
2015-12-28
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

ovisopa@sibiul. Posted at 2015-12-29 01:10
I used the app a few times and I really like it but there are a few things that I think it can be im ...

To answer some of your questions:
1. You can already do this by using the two finger rotate gesture.
2. We only support convex shapes for safety, overlap and route planning reasons.
3. "Battery Limited" flights are defined here: http://support.dronesmadeeasy.co ... ti-Battery-Missions
4. No. The homepoint is recorded where it takes off for safety reasons. We are considering adding a dynamic home point but it affects a lot of other things. When the battery initiated return home is triggered the DJI firmware is in control, not Map Pilot. With the latest firmware you shouldn't have to take off manually anymore. Doing it the way you are describing will likely cause issues. IMPORTANT: Any time you are going to fly manually, you need to switch it out of F mode unless you are doing small adjustments at landing. Do not expect it to respond as you would expect in a flight mode that is intended to be controlled by a computer.
5. We are working on that.
6. Above Sea Level altitudes are unreliable since they are derived from the GPS. They can vary +- 50meters between runs. There is a reason the aircraft uses the barometric sensor for its elevation control.  As long as the overlap is consistent and ample, the processing shouldn't be an issue. We are adding elevation awareness in a future release which should help fix these issues.
7. This is a SDK/Firmware issue. Yes, we know it doesn't happen in the Go app. We have addressed it in the version submitted to Apple on December 19th. We are not totally sure that the disconnection and hard-to-connect issues have been fixed yet though...
2015-12-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules