Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

aloha DJI folks,
I'm curious to know if the images captured by the Osmo are (or can easily be) geotagged?  I realize the handheld doesn't have a GPS, but the iPad running the ap does.  
Mahalo
Aaron
2015-10-16
Use props
greyson
New

United States

I would like to know the same thing. Can't find any answers on it. I can't believe DJI wouldn't have this built into the handle.
2015-10-30
Use props
informatie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2953 ft
Netherlands

It looks like the Osmo doesn't even keep time.
When I use the Osmo without my iPhone the date on the photos is 01/01/2014. So even if you have logged your gps track on some device, it would be pretty difficult to sync it to the photo's afterward.
2015-10-31
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

You're right informatie,, it is disappointing.  hopefully this can be rectified via some type of firmware update.  The camera seems to still have many useful aspects, but some location and time data would be helpful.  Lots to learn and experiment with, it seems to make some cool shots much easier to capture.
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

informatie@publ Posted at 2015-11-1 06:05
When I use the Osmo without my iPhone the date on the ...

camera will sync time with mobile device once it is connected with your phone/pad.

If 01/01/2014 is ur case.

Either u directly shoot a photo with a new osmo which never connects with ur mobile device
or ur mobile device's data is 01/01/2014
2015-11-1
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

informatie@publ Posted at 2015-11-1 06:05

camera will sync time with mobile device the moment when it is connected with your phone/pad.

camera needs to sync time with mobile device every boot up.
2015-11-1
Use props
stan.jessen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 446739 ft
United States

I was considering an OSMO but the lack of geotagging make it useless for my application of creating 3D imaging.  I would like to be able to take ground level shots by just walking around the property and combine them with my UAV images.
2016-2-25
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

stan.jessen@out Posted at 2016-2-25 20:31
I was considering an OSMO but the lack of geotagging make it useless for my application of creating ...

Hello! Your expectation will be recorded, thanks for your feedback and concern!
2016-2-25
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

informatie@publ Posted at 2015-11-1 02:05

OSMO was released after more than 1 year since first introduction (around the same time with Inspire 1). In this whole year it looks that all they came up was its name, cause it is really unbelievable how this camera isn't able to have decent audio, stereo-mic support, geotagging, correct date & time, external power support, enough battery life for a common event,... and the list can really go on. The only OSMO accessory that is properly designed is the extension rod, the rest are having a nice build but they are very inconvenient and bulky and impractical. Software and firmware shouldn't even be considered a beta-release, and most times we're told that hardware limitations do not allow the most expected features. Video-timelapse is 720P which is unexpected from a 4K camera. Panorama modes do not support portrait camera mode which even kids would intuitively use to get more vertical pixels in the final output. Pan has only 2 modes (fixed to Cartesian space and Follow mode) and does not really work as expected; there's no way to lock panning to handle direction and when using Follow mode does not recenter. This is very unnatural when mounting the OSMO on a bike or car.
Many of the above mentioned issues are well known by DJI but they are never transparent about their future development. Are they going to fix or find workarounds for some of them? Are they building an OSMO 2 with a better design which eliminates most of these issues? Either not planning to or keeping it a secret. Like most companies, what they really need is a good competitor to keep them on their toes. Else, we will remain forever their beta-testers that keep investing in unfinished or poorly designed products because our feedback is regularly ignored.
Best of luck,
Bogdan
2016-2-28
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
  • >>>

stan.jessen@out Posted at 2016-2-25 20:31
I was considering an OSMO but the lack of geotagging make it useless for my application of creating ...

Aloha fellow mapping aficionados,
I'm stoked to report that I've gotten good results from using a DJI Osmo to capture ground based oblique images of building facades and interiors.  PIX4D software does an amazing job with images with high overlap.  Even without Geotags, the software can match up images and place them their correct relative position.  Add in a couple GCP's in the project to tie with UAV images and you can create an amazing near photo quality 3D model of a facility (inside and out) in just a few hours.  I set the OSMO to take a photo every 5 seconds and simply walk around the building exterior capturing an image every step or 2, try and limit "sky" in the images.  
2016-3-15
Use props
pablotibis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50932 ft
  • >>>
Italy

It would be very convenient that the phone sends the app to osmo the position, and he records this fact in the photo / video taken
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

bornish@gmail.c Posted at 2016-2-29 13:02
OSMO was released after more than 1 year since first introduction (around the same time with Inspi ...

Thanks for your time and your comment!
We never stop listening to you and that's why we would launch the beta-test with our users.
As for the update, the listed issues are all under process, however, it really takes time, and I'm happy to say that we've made some progress. To meet the majority of users' requirements, a new update is expected to be ready soon.
Your constant support will be highly appreciated!
2016-3-16
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

pinpointmapping Posted at 2016-3-16 15:34
Aloha fellow mapping aficionados,
I'm stoked to report that I've gotten good results from using a  ...

Thanks for sharing your information with all of us!
2016-3-16
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-3-16 12:08
Thanks for your time and your comment!
We never stop listening to you and that's why we would laun ...

Great to hear thank you! Looking forward to the new update
2016-3-16
Use props
fansb33b7058
New
United States

I'm looking for an update on this as well.  Does OSMO now support geotagging?
2017-12-22
Use props
PinpointMapping
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansb33b7058 Posted at 2017-12-22 10:51
I'm looking for an update on this as well.  Does OSMO now support geotagging?

The first Osmo doesn't support geotagging.  Pix4D does work with OSMO images (even with no geotag), in fact I just tried a test and used the 360 pano feature to capture 8 photos at each location and Pix4D did a great job of figuring everything out and making a pointcloud and mesh of my project area.
2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules