Questions on flying with your drone on a plane + going through customs
3317 2 2015-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drewji
lvl.1
Canada

Hi to all,

I've read a bunch of forum threads regarding flying with your drone but not able to get the information I need.

I will be flying to the Philippines in December and flying with Cathay Pacific stopping over in Hong Kong.

When going through security and customs, what's the usual questions they'll ask you about what's in your backpack? Do you tell them that it's a drone or just simply a camera?
Any issues going through security in Hong Kong?
What do you guys declare upon going through customs (specifically in the Philippines)?

Sort of out topic, on top of your backpack (where your drone + extra accessories) do you guys have another carry on luggage?

Thanks

2015-10-17
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.3

United Kingdom

You may get hit with a luxury goods tax or you may have to register the drone going into the Phils I've heard its around $500.. It's put me off taking mine there...Do your homework before you set off

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/685 ... lip-wings-of-drones
2015-10-18
Use props
sasaki.taroh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668533 ft
  • >>>
Japan

I made trip this summer with my P3 from Japan to Taiwan.  By the rule of the airline, I must bring fragile or machines (esp. lipo battery) into cabin, and I did so, but nothing happened at security check.  Later I found my bag was over 7kg, and including over USD 5,000 (P3, cameras, laptop PC, etc.) :-) but no problem.  Both Taiwanese/Japanese customer even didn't open it nor asked me anything.
Sorry not Hongkong case, but I think almost the same in Hongkong.  They ship many UAVs and UAV is nothing precious/rare thing in Hongkong.
P.S.  Be careful about lipo battery.  I've ever made mistake to put spare battery of compact camera (50g, 7.3Wh very small one) in my baggage at Taiwanese airport, then they scanned with X-ray and called me... shame. :@
2015-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules