Can the OSMO be powered from an external source?
26016 26 2015-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Digicrew
New

Australia

Hi everyone my first post here.

I am extremely interested in an OSMO but am somewhat concerned re the battery life.

Can anyone tell me if the OSMO can be externally powered for when it's shooting long events?

I am thinking of using one for a second camera at a dance concert and controlling it via the app. so it will be mounted on a tripod. But that won't be easy for me if the battery life is only about 1 hour so an external power source (for example through Micro USB) would solve the battery problem.

Thanks in advance.

David @ Digicrew

(edit) Since posting this above I have learned that the camera head on the OSMO has a micro USB port on it so it would be interesting to know if you can power the camera by plugging a USB power source into this socket. I am guessing "no" because of the position of the port (on the camera head itself) which would restrict movement.

2015-10-18
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was thinking the same but i very much doubt it can be. The USB port on the camera will not power it. Also having any cable dangling from there would seriously impact the stability of the gimbal.

Its a shame really as it would be good to use it with a massive power-bank plugged into it.
2015-10-18
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

For the moment it is not possible,  in future we will work on the accessories like external power supply
2015-10-19
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-19 02:19
For the moment it is not possible,  in future we will work on the accessories like external power su ...

You could just have a dummy battery like Canon has done for some of its cameras.
Also as is done with external power supplies for flash units.
2015-10-19
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

This thing would be very useful, I believe it will be announced later.
2015-10-19
Use props
robbocurry
lvl.1
Flight distance : 379475 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-20 02:46

This would be great!
Maybe it could have a USB output to keep the attached phone charged too?
2015-11-5
Use props
info.irionphoto
lvl.1

United States

Putting the battery door on the side, with a more powerful battery, would be a start. The current battery is not usable for professional work.
An external battery jack would be great-
A mounting screw for the bottom of the unit would allow attaching a recorder and/or microphone would b great and is a pretty typical  mount point.
2015-11-5
Use props
ckeeran
lvl.1
United States

So is there any further news on this? I've been using my OSMO weekly to record an event but the 1 hour battery is very limiting.
2016-2-7
Use props
fredbh
lvl.1

United States

I also would like to know that. What about cheap replacement batteries? Is there any avaiable?
2016-2-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery life actually gets better after you use the battery for awhile and at 35 dollars an extra battery is a decent deal.
2016-2-10
Use props
Picturemaker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131982 ft
Jersey

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-20 02:46

Hi, any news on this Tim. I have trawled the net to find a solution but can't find anything yet,.

A dummy battery I think is needed fast as Osmo is advertised as a time-lapse unit - but that fails as most shoots are 3 - 4 hours. And changing the batteries mid shoot is not possible within the 15 sec shot average! Not to mention the awkwardness involved!  
2016-2-27
Use props
csacault
lvl.4
Canada

Check this French guy in France.

2016-2-27
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Looks like this setup works, maybe a bit bulky for my liking,but it works!!
2016-2-28
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

csacault@telus. Posted at 2016-2-28 07:27
Check this French guy in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsAR0UhzZGQ

How can we get / build this?
2016-2-28
Use props
frypan
lvl.3
Australia

Wow, someone actually did it.

Too complicated for me. I will wait for official accessory.
2016-3-2
Use props
olhodabeata
lvl.1
Portugal

frypan Posted at 2016-3-2 19:53
Wow, someone actually did it.

Too complicated for me. I will wait for official accessory.

Hi DJI guys,

I'm new at this forum and I'm about to buy the OSMO x3 camera, but it is very importante for me that issue of an adapter for external power suplly, can you say when will DJI realise it??

Best regards
Luís Santos
2016-3-7
Use props
Picturemaker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131982 ft
Jersey

olhodabeata Posted at 2016-3-8 01:59
Hi DJI guys,

I'm new at this forum and I'm about to buy the OSMO x3 camera, but it is very import ...

Have a look at
External Battery Extender Job done !
2016-6-3
Use props
martin94b
lvl.3

Picturemaker Posted at 2016-6-3 11:59
Have a look at
External Battery Extender Job done !

No, Job not done.
The Job is done when the use case of the users can be fullfilled.
Even though the battery extender is one important step towards that goal, there are still many things missing. Especially the limit of video recording time (30 minutes) for instance.
So if you want to record an event as second steady cam you would have to manually restart the recording every 30 minutes and then still have unwanted cuts in your video.

Same is true for TimeLapsing, while unfortunatly there is not yet another method in place to record convinient 4k TimeLapsing with Osmo but recording regular 4k video (24 / 30fps) and extract your TimeLapse in Postproduction afterwards (additional SW tooling required). So one more time the 30 Minute limitation hits right to your face, and I doubt you´ll be able to restart the regular video recording exactly on the point within e.g. 1 second, so again you will have an unwanted break in your final TimeLapse video.
2016-6-3
Use props
mmertdikmen
New

Turkey

Im thinking about buying the verbatim AC powerbank with 12000mAh juice. Anyone tried something like this before? If this works I believe you can charge your osmo 12 times. This would be great for travelers and campers
2016-6-16
Use props
GlobalIMG
lvl.1

United States

mmertdikmen Posted at 2016-6-16 23:12
Im thinking about buying the verbatim AC powerbank with 12000mAh juice. Anyone tried something like  ...

I bought a 23000mAH battery bank with a 20V 4.3A output. For some reason it does not work. I think it may be a polarity issue. I need to dig out the meter and check but there is no reason why it would not as long as the voltage is in the range of what the battery extender takes. The engineers may have reversed the polarity of the wiring to force you to use their batteries but its only a guess at the moment.
2016-6-16
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

it's possible now with the battery extender.
2016-6-16
Use props
RadioSounds
New

Germany

hey would the combination work with the battery extender....a v-mount battery plate (https://shop.equiprent.de/Stromv ... unt-Akkus::430.html) and the 12V output?
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

RadioSounds Posted at 2016-12-15 20:49
hey would the combination work with the battery extender....a v-mount battery plate (https://shop.equiprent.de/Stromversorgung/Spannungswandler/fuer-Rigs/Lanparte-VBP-01-Spannungswandler-battery-pinch-fuer-V-Mount-Akkus::430.html) and the 12V output?

Yes, it should work. 12V DC output
2016-12-15
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

nivong Posted at 2016-6-16 17:21
it's possible now with the battery extender.

yeah how does that thing exactly  work?
2016-12-16
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

rdvid Posted at 2016-12-16 09:42
yeah how does that thing exactly  work?

insert any charger from an RC (phantom or inspire) in the battery extender
2016-12-22
Use props
irisrei08
New

India

I also had same issue and i tried external battery extender but it didn't work with my canon. After that I bought power-extra canon flash. After using it my problem solved. I think you also try this once. Surely you get some sanctification regarding your OSMO battery life.
2017-4-19
Use props
Apophis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22687 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm new here, so I can't seem to open my own new topic so I will ask my question here.

I currently have a DJI Osmo+ and DJI Mavic Air, both with 2 additional batteries. When I travel, I find it really annoying that I have to carry around a dozen different chargers and I need several sockets. It would make my life quite a bit easier if I could use a universal charger, or at least be able to have a usb  cable to the charger. Does something like this exist for my DJI stuff?
2019-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules