1168 4 2015-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Hey everyone

A client wants me to photograph traffic intersections with the view of using the information for planning and design purposes.
Snag is... They want the pictures to scale...
I can see virtically down images will probably be easier to scale afterwards, if you place a known size object on the ground...
Then I have to work on the angle of tall structures like lamp posts - on a previous assignment I noticed the electrical overhead line poles were all at an angle except the one absolutely directly below the camera.

But where to start...

Suggestions welcome!
2015-10-20
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2

South Africa

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-20 20:05
From what I understand, when using UAVs for "mapping", reference marks are placed on the ground for ...

Evening Paul

Yes, that is what I am referring to - the perspective.
After thinking a bit, I do not imagine the perspective will be that much of an issue.

What I really need to be able to figure out is a way to be able to make the photograph a "measurable entity" to be used as a background in AutoCad.

Read earlier about some calculation you can do with the Exif info of the picture that involves focal length, square pixels etc.
Need to read more into that one I think...

Best regards
2015-10-20
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Do your research on the following:

Orthophotography.
Creating Orthomosaics.
Ground Control points.

Many options and approaches are available to you.
2015-10-20
Use props
Edward
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1555663 ft
British Virgin Islands

Maps Made Easy hVe recently launched their map pilot app for IOS. Take a look at their website and in particular the article "Georeferencing with a Basemap". This should provide you with the information you require.
2015-10-20
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2

South Africa

Flew my first couple of missions with Map Pilot.
Exactly what I need.
No fuss no issues just plain straight forward.
Pre Flight: plan your route (area of interest), change overpasses or overlap and save.
Post flight: download pictures from SD card and stitch with Microsoft ICE.

I will use interlocking flexible floor tiles (to create a sort of chequered black and white 4 tile square) placed on the ground as reference marks making use of my Garmin GPS to plot the coordinates of the squares and/or a couple of other "land marks".

When the time comes, I'll decide whether I will make use of the Maps Made Easy service or get a package like AgiSoft or something.
For now I am content to supply the engineers with my elevated views supplementing the surveyor's data.

2015-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules