Phantom 2 or Phantom Vision + ESC Failure? Add comment here
2235 4 2014-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
firedog121
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25686 ft
United Kingdom

This if for anyone who has had ESC failure trying to gauge the failure rate.
2014-12-19
Use props
tom.loader
lvl.1

Canada

Possible ESC failure after me second flight.
After receiving my Phantom and setting it up I took it for a test flight. I had two great flights with two perfect landings right on the lid of the box I transport it in... much easier to fly than I expected!

after the second flight I changed out the battery and powered up for a 3rd flight. At this point the front left motor jittered before starting, then when it started it made an intermittent buzzing sound. not wanting to do any damage I packed up and took it home.
once home I tried it again, still have the same problem.

So, fried ESC?

Anything I can to to test it?

Cheers!
2015-1-12
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well if you are asking for people to post who have had a failure, then I can tell you that it will be 100%

2015-1-12
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

You won't gauge failure rate from posters on internet forums. VASTLY insufficient data points and will be highly skewed.
2015-1-13
Use props
jtrager
lvl.3
United States

I recently sent my new Phantom 2 Vision Plus in for repair.  When I received it, there was one motor that wasn't getting up to speed.  The store told me they repaired with an ESC V2.0 unit.  And that DJI has been having issues with 1 out of 20 units.  When I received it back, I opened the Phantom to see how good the soldering job was... I noticed that the 3 wires going to the motors (on the 3 that didn't need repair) were all raised high off the MOSFETs.  So someone was at least trying to keep the insulation of the motor wires away from the MOSFETs (which get hot).  Perhaps DJI should use some thermal epoxy on each MOSFET with a small heatsink  attached to the 6 MOSFETs???  The one ESC that was replaced had the 3 motor wires right on top of the MOSFETs, in which I quickly separated them, lifting them in the air.  I would think one would want to keep the motor wires away from the sensitive components on the ESC board anyway?  Another reason DJI should re-design the PCB... placing the connections to the 3 motors at the end of the PCB, as close to the motors as possible.  And also make it so the firmware for the MPU can be upgraded.
2015-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules