DJI Selected as Member of FAA Drone Registration Task Force
4536 72 2015-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ajinop
lvl.2

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-24 08:31
Do you register your car? Do you have a Driver's License?

Roger yes we do have to register our cars, but our quad copters have been demonized and labeled as drones. They have been painted in a bad light.
So the concern is what are the regulation going to be?, and since the government does not listen to us anymore we all are anxious and full of anxiety of what these regulation are going to be.
On a sidenote I don't know why DGI doesn't defend itself because it seems to be part of a smear campaign, every news video that I have seen stating privacy invasion or air space invations always is a clip of a phantom???
DGI stand up for your self and us or you will end up out of business do to all the bad light. We love the product you make and want to continue our hobby with you.
Please listen to us and hold firm on your ground to the original design of your quads!
Your quads did not become popular because you can fly 30 m high and 30 m out they came popular because They have a long-range good video quality and allow us to  actually have some enjoyment out of them.
2015-10-24
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-24 05:43
To be perfectly honest it will do absolutely nothing, people who break the laws/rules ultimately d ...

Bingo!

you hit the nail on the head.
2015-10-24
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-22 13:49
yeah it's a all great, just hand over our lives to the government, become part of the collective!!. ...

Though I agree to some of what you say I disagree with your Baseball analogy. First, the players work for a team, the team owners rent the Stadium or may own it. The Stadium owners are most often the Libel party. When you enter a Baseball Stadium the is an "Assumption of Risk" and "The Baseball Rule". Basically you know what you getting into when you enter the Stadium. The  "Assumption of Risk" may not be known by all pedestrians under a damaged falling UAV. My UAV weighs much more than a Baseball and at 32 feet per second per second can due some damage to person or property.
2015-10-24
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-10-24 14:34
Though I agree to some of what you say I disagree with your Baseball analogy. First, the players w ...

You assume I'm speaking of pro-semi-pro baseball;)  I'm speaking in generalities.  The kid down the street just put a ball through the window of a moving car and the driver was distracted and ran into a parked car, or a guy on a company baseball team threw the bat and sent his his co-worker to the emergency room etc....probably happens 100 times a day!!! And yet no news media, which is good  However if "public safety" is the reason for these new regulations then there are definitely many many things that should be regulated first.  I mean a fricken little Phantom drone crashes into a neighbors yard and CNN is carrying the story on their website....seems kinda orchestrated to me.  It is a known fact that the government uses PR companies to push certain agendas and I firmly believe this is one of them...IMO
2015-10-24
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-25 06:56
You assume I'm speaking of pro-semi-pro baseball;)  I'm speaking in generalities.  The kid down the ...

Indeed, read this, makes lots of sense.  http://www.crimefilenews.com/2015/10/drone-hysteria-gullible-media.html?m=1
2015-10-24
Use props
ajinop
lvl.2

United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-24 18:03
Indeed, read this, makes lots of sense.  http://www.crimefilenews.com/2015/10/drone-hysteria-gulli ...

Repost that link
2015-10-24
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

ajinop Posted at 2015-10-25 07:22
Repost that link

http://www.crimefilenews.com/2015/10/drone-hysteria-gullible-media.html?m=1
2015-10-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-25 10:29
http://www.crimefilenews.com/2015/10/drone-hysteria-gullible-media.html?m=1

The article does not come close to match the sheer hysteria being generated on this forum.
2015-10-24
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-24 19:44
The article does not come close to match the sheer hysteria being generated on this forum.

meaning what...that's a real easy comment to make, but what's behind it?
2015-10-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-25 16:24
meaning what...that's a real easy comment to make, but what's behind it?

Meaning all those Chicken Littles on this forum who are running around like chickens with their heads cut off predicting doom. The saner voices see that the DOT proposal is completely impractical to enforce and administer and it will all settle down in a few months time. Be calm, go fly your Phantom and enjoy.
2015-10-25
Use props
Paul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 750922 ft
United Kingdom

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-24 23:03
Indeed, read this, makes lots of sense.  http://www.crimefilenews.com/2015/10/drone-hysteria-gulli ...

It's interesting to see how few news reports there are of drones actually being used usefully. The fire brigade in Manchester recently used a drone to get an aerial view of the Co-op building whilst it was on fire to understand how better to tackle it. Unless you reviewed the source of the video you wouldn't have known. No-one reported "Drone video helps fire brigade tackle fire without risking lives".

As for News reporting, here in the UK we don't have helicopters chasing every emergency or car chase, but the BBC have recently set up a drone department to support the BBC news.

There are many popular TV programmes such as Country File or Coast that for cost reasons would never be made were it not for the use of drone aerial imagery.

The CAA were on the case for UAV s very early on and worked with the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) to establish sensible rules and a route to getting Permission for Aerial  Work. Now sensibly they are working with the Police to prosecute where possible those who blatantly break the regulations and hopefully these high profile cases where they also state which rules were being broken will deter others from flying in a reckless manner and avoid the need for the sort of regulations being proposed in the US or restrictions being built in to the quadcopters themselves.

Additionally there was also a strong media campaign here not to demonise drones but to advertise and assert the rules that should be followed.

There is much to be learnt from here.

Paul
2015-10-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

ajinop Posted at 2015-10-24 11:07
Roger yes we do have to register our cars, but our quad copters have been demonized and labeled as ...

AJ, exactly my point. It only takes a few reckless people to ruin it for others that are legitimate hobbyists. Registration will hold these people accountable for their actions.

I am not sure who DGI is, I assume you mean DJI? DJI is being pro action in this case. They will have more input from the inside than from the outside looking in after all is said and done. They made the right move and I concur with them. One will never gain anything by backing anyone into a corner.

I agree with you that DJI is taking the wrap due to the fact that a Phantom is always pictured in a news article on the negative side of our world. That being said, the reason is because of it's popularity. In my opinion and many others that is due to it being the best platform in the industry.

I don't foresee any design changes due to registration. You have to register a Ferrari and it still will obtain a speed of 230 MPH.
2015-10-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2015-10-24 20:44

Hysteria!! Correct my friend. People are reading Doomsday into registration! It is going to happen, let's make the best of it.

What we should be doing is supplying the Media with positive stories. Their are many out there. Even beautiful Photography will suffice.
2015-10-25
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-24 18:56
You assume I'm speaking of pro-semi-pro baseball;)  I'm speaking in generalities.  The kid down the ...

Yes you are speaking in generalities. But in a court room the Lawyers will not. If someone is injured in any manor in any place by any means they have the right to sue those responsible. But you've shifted your argument to the media. Perhaps because you saw my picture (it's a real picture) real Journalists provide sources to back up each of their statements. You make 3 general conjectures and 6 general and unsubstantiated statements all under the guise of the DJI Forum with nothing to verify (verifiable sources) what you say is true. Add to the fact that your identity is hidden and you recently modified this post. So what motivates us to believe you?

Regardless I'm happy DJI is involving themselves as a Member of FAA Drone Registration Task Force. That is the non general point we're speaking about here in this Topic. I think they will be a driving force to improve UAS Aviation here in the U.S. and around the World.

Best
2015-10-25
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Technically there really aren't any laws to break in the USA with regards to flying drones yet other than a few city ordinances, nothing federal. The 400ft limit is a recommendation, not an actual law.
2015-10-25
Use props
pulsar747n
lvl.1

United States

This link worked for me:  http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022
There is time to post your own comments.

This are the comments that I submitted:

I believe that requiring registration of UAS is an unnecessary burden and will not accomplish the goals of the DOT/FAA. Just as there are many people that drive without a license, automobile registration or insurance or many people that continue to aim laser pointers to aircraft, you are going to have only good citizens registering UAS and bad citizens that will brake the law no matter what, will not register at all.

It is not fair to target UAS, when there are 55 pounds Remote Control 3/4 Scale Airplanes carrying 1/2 gallon of Nitro Fuel that can fly farther and higher than the average UAS, and will be excluded from the registration requirements.
Why not require registration of Kites, Model Rockets, all Remote Control aircraft under 55 pounds, Laser Pointers, Fireworks, bullets, hang-gliders, parachute jumpers or anything that can use the National Airspace System?

The FAA is already burdened with the registration process of regular aircraft, taking as much as 3 months to do so. Registration may also have additional implications/burdens for the average hobbyist. The States that currently have Aircraft registration, charge sales tax, fees, property tax, etc, are going to be inclined to also charge those fees to UAS, just because the FAA requires registration of UAS, again burdening the hobbyist.

The incidents reported by the FAA have been refuted by the AMA analysis of those incidents, therefore making an issue of something that does not exist. The local authorities should prosecute violators of the current laws to the full but let's not make more unnecessary laws.
2015-10-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Paul@shelleymai Posted at 2015-10-26 00:33
It's interesting to see how few news reports there are of drones actually being used usefully. The ...

I agree Paul, the UK is well ahead in using these aircraft for important work, I mentioned the BBC drone section in an earlier thread. Likewise New Zealand, which has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world and is now showing it to the world from UAVs.
2015-10-25
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-10-25 11:41
Yes you are speaking in generalities. But in a court room the Lawyers will not. If someone is inju ...

Whoa slow down chief!  ...did you not see all of the smiley faces I put on my post to keep this a light and happy conversation?  This is an open forum where we're free to express our opinions, I don't owe anyone sources nor do I care to spend hours digging up public records of injuries that are the result of leisure baseball to compare against the number injuries due to drones....if you want to pay me $1000 to do that I'll be glad to but otherwise I'll remain in the realm of personal opinion.  Also I edited my post because of grammatical errors...I just edited this post just to make this point too...I pretty much re-read my posts later and OFTEN edit them for spelling, grammatical corrections.

And let's be honest, do you really dispute my point that there are more injuries due to baseball than drones, really?  Secondly, I brought the media into this because I believe the government regulations that are about to be forced down our throats are made possible because of a PR program the government probably funded to create hysteria that would lead to the public outcry for drone regulation so they could capitalize on it or fit their twisted narrative control of every aspect of our lives.  So I know you said you're some kind journalist but you really didn't pay attention to what I laid out and that's why your story is so weak, ha!
2015-10-25
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly unless you want to give up all modern technology you might as well stop trying to be tracked. All our flights are uploaded to DJIs server and if the FAA or whoever want access to those flight logs they'll get it. Don't fly like an idiot and don't fly in dangerous locations and you'll be fine.
2015-10-26
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

As far as I can tell they aren't uploaded anywhere and don't even save in the app half the time, very unreliable, lol
2015-10-26
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-10-22 20:15
Quite right.

However, it must be said that as yet, I've heard nothing to suggest that this means  ...

Hi Paul - re your comment regarding registration.

When you submitted your SRG1320's regarding Inspires did you not fill out the Registration/Serial number field? This in itself is a kind of registration.
You also would have itemised S/N's in your ops manual so I guess we can all class that as 'Registration' to a degree since both are held on file by the CAA.

As an aside, I am currently being crippled by the Nanny NFZ's inflicted upon us as I have a job to do on an RAF base.  I hold PFAW, I have full authority from the base, the Tower is happy, permissions have gone all the way up the food chain in the RAF and back down again - it's all a go, except....... DJI have decided I can't take off there! :@
For certified operators we were supposed to get NFZ restriction lifted, or at least a service was due to be introduced in September whereby commercial operators had the ability to get an override on them.
Nothing has happened.
Additionally, Joel and Justin over at Heliguy launched the 'manual' service as an interim measure to get flight restrictions lifted. Interestingly, I had a long chat with them about this the other day and they confirmed to me that NOT ONE SINGLE request channeled through them had been granted. In fact some had gone completely unanswered and had been ignored.   
How can DJI expect any commercial operator to take the Inspire as a srious work tool when this kind of lockout is imposed.
They maybe releasing the likes of the X5 and X5R to bolster the 'professional image' but both products become pointless if as a commercial user you are unable to fly in certain areas.

Come on DJI - at least try and do some joined up thinking. It is very easy for us commercial guys in the UK to prove who we are and prove our qualifications so give us the facility to unlock those bloody stupid Nanny no fly zones.

2015-10-27
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Someones likely going to release a custom firmware for these drones that remove these bs restrictions, dji doesn't seem to grasp the fact that nfzs were a very bad idea or they don't care. However it did the them about a year to release they handheld mount and better cameras so maybe we'll have an official solution in a year, doubt anyone will still be buying dji products by then though, lol
2015-10-27
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Had no idea the Inspires were already being fenced in, yikes!  The more connected electronics manufacturers make us the more locked into government control we become.   It almost seems the government has members on their development boards calling for more automatic inter connectivity so they can have their tentacles dialed into all electronic media and our personal lives, scary!
2015-10-27
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-25 09:43
Hysteria!! Correct my friend. People are reading Doomsday into registration! It is going to happen ...

Very naive comment.   Once you give the government over this then they have the power to take it away, tax it, restrict it, shut it down, fine, arrest you etc....hey are yours willing to just give up your freedom?  And the bigger question is why are they doing this, public safety?  There are probably 100 times more injuries and damaged property due to fricken baseball games than there are drones, so why aren't they registering those?  Kind of make you wonder?  Never,never just give up a freedom to government control....it never ends up going the way they promised nor the way you would want.
2015-10-27
Use props
ftimster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

I live in a isolated Alaskan Town where the NFZ's covers the whole town. I always call the tower!! They're very nice and give me permission. and I've never been denied. Knock on wood. If dji starts to implement more firmware limitations as far as distance, and restricts further the 500m altitude limit, I am moving on!! Where I live there are 2000 to 4000+ ft mountains and i need to fly up the side of these mountains regularly. (Ski Resorts, etc...) Where I'm actually never flying above the 400 ft. agl anyway.  I hope dji holds firm.
2015-10-27
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-27 23:48
Very naive comment.   Once you give the government over this then they have the power to take it a ...

Just my opinion Adam. I have no issue at all with registering my Quad.
2015-10-28
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-29 01:48
Just my opinion Adam. I have no issue at all with registering my Quad.

Jews in Germany had no issues registering their guns back in the 1920s either, later they would come to regret that very much.
2015-10-28
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

HFI Posted at 2015-10-26 17:33
Honestly unless you want to give up all modern technology you might as well stop trying to be tracke ...

Agree here!
2015-10-28
Use props
Midnightrider
lvl.2

United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-25 20:59
Whoa slow down chief!  ...did you not see all of the smiley faces I put on my post to keep this a l ...

adam,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I had more impotent things to do.   I am a supporter of Free Speech in ways you can't possibly understand. But thank you for admitting you don't take the time to research and verify what you post. You put yourself out there to be an unsung member of the Troll Task Force. Being Anonymous and doing no research are the hallmarks and you publicly (at lease here) admit to them both.

Best
2015-10-28
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-28 15:11
Jews in Germany had no issues registering their guns back in the 1920s either, later they would co ...

I am through with this.
2015-10-29
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-10-29 20:35
I am through with this.

Good call. Can't dispute those facts, would be pointless to even try.
2015-10-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-10-29 08:45
Good call. Can't dispute those facts, would be pointless to even try.

Not a problem
2015-10-30
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Midnightrider Posted at 2015-10-29 05:14
adam,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I had more impotent things to do.   I am a s ...

whatever.......
2015-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules