Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Selected as Member of FAA Drone Registration Task Force
3214 30 2015-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Delphine
lvl.2

Hong Kong

DJI is pleased to announce the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has invited it to participate in its Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx announced the formation of the task force Monday.

DJI takes safety very seriously and has led the civilian drone industry on many technology-based safety features, including geospatial information (sometimes called"geofencing"), altitude limitation and automatic return-to-home and auto-land fail-safes. DJI has previously collaborated with regulators inother countries to create safe-flying guidelines for consumer drone pilots. Itis pleased to offer its expertise to the FAA as it considers many of the technical and legal considerations relating to a proposed registration system.

Brendan Schulman, DJI’s vice president of policy & legal affairs, is DJI's designee for the task force.

"While I amconcerned about the short schedule and limited opportunity for public comment, we support regulatory approaches that strike an appropriate balance between risk, benefit and the burden of compliance," said Schulman. "DJI intends to represent the interests of its customers as this process moves forward."

Schulman said DJI is encouraging customers to file comments during the short, 15-day public comment period now open at http://www.regulations.gov/#!    documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0001.

For customers unable to comment through that channel, DJI plans to make a mechanism available to send concerns and suggestions directly to the company so that customer views may be considered in DJI’s work on the Task Force.  

2015-10-22
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Please remove the BIG BOLD RED ARROW, as it makes it very difficult to read the announcement.

Not sure if you're using a translator, but there are a lot of run-on words.

Here's the announcement in a readable form.

DJI is pleased to announce the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration has invited it to participate in its Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration Task Force. U.S. Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx announced the formation of the task force Monday.
DJI takes safety very seriously and has led the civilian drone industry on many technology-based safety features, including geospatial information (sometimes called "geo-fencing"), altitude limitation and automatic return-to-home and auto-land fail-safes. DJI has previously collaborated with regulators in other countries to create safe-flying guidelines for consumer drone pilots. Itis pleased to offer its expertise to the FAA as it considers many of the technical and legal considerations relating to a proposed registration system.
Brendan Schulman, DJI’s vice president of policy & legal affairs, is DJI's designee for the task force.
"While I am concerned about the short schedule and limited opportunity for public comment, we support regulatory approaches that strike an appropriate balance between risk, benefit and the burden of compliance," said Schulman. "DJI intends to represent the interests of its customers as this process moves forward."
Schulman said DJI is encouraging customers to file comments during the short, 15-day public comment period now open at http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022
For customers unable to comment through that channel, DJI plans to make a mechanism available to send concerns and suggestions directly to the company so that customer views may be considered in DJI’s work on the Task Force.
2015-10-22
Use props
kcobello
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190 ft
United States

Congrats DJI!  Glad you are working with the FAA to help make the transition of the multi-rotor industry smooth, responsible and safe!
Kevin and Dawn Cobello-K & D Action Photo and Aerial Imaging
2015-10-22
Use props
mtnred
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-22 09:38
Please remove the BIG BOLD RED ARROW, as it makes it very difficult to read the announcement.

Not s ...

If you use word and then copy and paste on to this forum , you get the word runs .It is frustrating because the spell check on our forum is not very good and words is so much better .
2015-10-22
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

mtnred@gmail.co Posted at 2015-10-22 14:52
If you use word and then copy and paste on to this forum , you get the word runs .It is frustratin ...

I well understand the issue of using Word for copy and paste.  What I think is the culprit though is that language barrier and the forum software.

The 15 day comment period flys in the face of the Federal Register requirement of a 30 day minimum comment period. I would like to see Mr. Schulman more involved in this board, as he represents DJI both as a lawyer, and as an industry expert.

I've been very out spoken in regards to flight safety. I got bashed around for being too concerned, Afterall it's only a toy.

I commend DJI taking action to enact their version of geo-fencing, however don't agree with the methodology or the lack of transparency when something is enacted.
2015-10-22
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

Get listed at Drone Pro

DroneProList
2015-10-22
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-10-22 16:03
Get listed at Drone Pro

DroneProList

Have you attempted looking up any of the companies on this list? I just did, and only found two that held a 333 exemption.
2015-10-22
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-22 19:54
Have you attempted looking up any of the companies on this list? I just did, and only found two th ...

It's a new site and growing. 333 is up to the operator to include or not.
Still baffles me that the 333 exemption requires that you still need to be a licensed pilot even if you get the exemption. Are there that many licensed pilots out there?
2015-10-22
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

good news
2015-10-22
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Maybe you can do a firmware update so if someone hasn't registered their drone then you can't fly... like you do for a no fly zone.
2015-10-22
Use props
ajinop
lvl.2

United States

So I have a question if the DOT or FAA change how we fly and let's say dji complies and adds more restrictions to the aircraft and software maybe minimum area of flight for example.
Which changes the condition of the original purchase, basically sold a product under false pretenses, is dji going to buy back these units or give us some sort of reimbursement?
Or since we have purchased these quad-copter before regulations have been established, would we be grandfathered into some sort of pre regulation where we are omitted from regulation?
2015-10-22
Use props
Friendlyfred
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-10-23 11:08
good news

I hold an ATR and commercial, single and multi engine.  Can i get an exemption of some sort,?  What is this 333 thing please.
2015-10-22
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Friendlyfred Posted at 2015-10-23 01:43
I hold an ATR and commercial, single and multi engine.  Can i get an exemption of some sort,?  Wha ...

Shortened Readers Digest version:  If you want to use your Phantom for commercial purposes (i.e. make money) you need a 333 exemption.  If you want to open that can of worms you can start here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/
2015-10-23
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am delighted to hear that we have representation by DJI. I know that DJI will do a great job representing ourselves and the Industry.
Personally I have no issue with Registration with the FAA. I feel that Registration will rid us of the irresponsible user's that cast a shadow on all of us in a negative manner.
2015-10-23
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-10-22 22:09
It's a new site and growing. 333 is up to the operator to include or not.
Still baffles me that th ...

I think you miss-understand me.

I bounced the names thru the FAA data base and only two names came back as holding a valid 333 exemption.
It could be the name that they are trading as doesn't match the FAA list, as in Photographics Ltd verses, John Jones as the 333 holder.

IMO, before I commissioned anyone to perform aerial photography for me as a business owner, if the paperwork isn't correct, sorry Charlie. Too much liability.

Why not have the person registering to offer services on the site list their FAA approval number? We used to do that with licensed firearms dealers.
2015-10-23
Use props
reubenwm
lvl.1

United States

That is great news.  I believe DJI is leading the industry in safety and responsibility.  The panel should focus on the problem they are trying to solve.  I don't believe they are trying to solve a problem but are trying to imlement a predetermined solution (registration).  If safety is the concern then they should lay out all the options (many of the things included in DJI products) and analyze them to see what is most effective.  I submit that registering a drone does nothing for safety.  Does it make cars safer?  Does it stop a criminal from using a car?  What registration does is make government bigger and collects more fees to run big government.  That isn't the answer.   Good luck!!
2015-10-23
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-10-23 10:30
I think you miss-understand me.

I bounced the names thru the FAA data base and only two names cam ...

That might be a good idea if the 333 is even still a requirement after they come out with the new rules.
It may go away completely with new requirements in its place. I think a lot of people are waiting to see what the final word is and until then getting a jump start on finding clients or getting listed on the Drone Pro List They can always go back and change their credentials later.  Anyhow the Drone Pro List is a good place to let perspective clients find Drone Pilots.  

Drone Pro List
2015-10-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sorry DJI... Do not take this the wrong way ...

But isn't this like putting the Gas companies on the committee for gas pricing?

This is more control by the few that make these products instead of the ones that fly UAV's

Rich
2015-10-23
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

DJI why oh why did you do this!!!!!  We want someone whose going to fight the FAA for our interests, take a stand against government regulation!!!!  Now it looks like your executives (Chinese Govt) will be doing under the table deals, go into agreements with FBI, CIA and FAA for tracking intelligence, and reporting of potential violations, litigate against us, pass-on taxes and fees, the whole fricken bureaucratic big-government 9 yards...soooo disappointing!!!  DJI what has happened to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
2015-10-23
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Well, it's like this......(an opinion, of course)

DJI will tell the FAA exactly what's available to limit bad eggs from a technical standpoint.    Expect some restrictions to be added.   Drones will be restricted to 400 feet maximum ascent.  That is all but guaranteed.   Maximum range will be restricted to 500 feet.  The geo-fencing will be part of updates and will start out with a few thousand acres and mushroom into millions of acres within a year or two.   Forget flying in cities, over beaches, parks, roads, within miles of ANY airport and just about anywhere two or more people can be found.

1,000,000 drone operators and of those 10 had no proper upbringing and or self control. So those 10 flew their drones in a dangerous and reckless manner...endangering others.

As a result,  Nine hundred Ninety Nine Thousand, Nine Hundred and Ninety RESPONSIBLE Drone operators will have to dole out $10 for registration (the first year) and an ever increasing amount of fees every year there after ad nauseum to make it right.

The fees will never stop increasing and once the regulatory mechanism is safely in place, rest assured the space you will be allowed to fly will get tinier and tinier every time some hysterical person on a beach screams about their privacy being invaded.   It'll start out ok, but then every year, the restricted zones will just keep growing.  Think....EPA land grab....cept this will be an airspace grab.

Bottom Line:  Expect to pay about $75 a year to fly in your back yard within 5 years.
PS...those 10 that caused all this?  They will contine to fly as they damn please and registration?  It's NOT for them.  Forgedaboudit.

Winners?  =  FAA  (Cha-CHING!)  An extra $35 Million - $60 million to play with every year.    I see some BIG promotions and pay hikes coming.
Winners?  = Well, the 10 who don't follow rules, cause they are the few who won't be affected.  They can always find another way to endanger innocent people.

Losers? = You and me.   The ones who try to do the right thing.
DJI, remind the US regulators that your country practically owns their country.   Don't be intimidated.   Protect your right to make heaps of cash!!

2015-10-23
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-10-23 22:31
Well, it's like this......(an opinion, of course)

DJI will tell the FAA exactly what's available t ...

Great post, but you're assuming public safety is the real goal.  I think $$ through taxes and fees are, in addition to the U.S. Government fixation on CONTROL of its citizens!
2015-10-24
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-23 06:28
Shortened Readers Digest version:  If you want to use your Phantom for commercial purposes (i.e. m ...

You forgot to mention that even with the 333, you still need to get a pilots license.  Seems like everybody is in denial about that little detail. I keep seeing people say "yup, get the 333 and your all good to go". which isn't the case at all. In the exemption it clearly states that you still need to be a licensed pilot of at least a sports plane category.  why does everyone not see that? am I missing something??? why do they still think they will be "legal" just because they can get the 333?  
2015-10-24
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-10-23 20:15
I am sorry DJI... Do not take this the wrong way ...

But isn't this like putting the Gas companies ...

I also do not agree with DJI getting involved with our government. This has gotten totally out of control. Truly I am shocked. Stick to building a great product and let the government do it's thing as they always do. I could understand if the inspire 1 was 50 pounds flew 100 plus mph but it doesn't. What and why does DJI feel that this is needed to sleep in the same bed?
2015-10-26
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

adam@kalita.tv Posted at 2015-10-23 21:32
DJI why oh why did you do this!!!!!  We want someone whose going to fight the FAA for our interests, ...

@ Adam you couldn't have said it any better and I agree with you a 100%. I'm now worried about updating and in fact I haven't since the news. Remember, anything can be hacked and modified. This is factual, beleive me when I tell you this!
2015-10-26
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ibdronin Posted at 2015-10-26 21:27
I also do not agree with DJI getting involved with our government. This has gotten totally out of  ...

Yes sir, I think they want to protect their own interests. This really needs to be in the groups that are affected and not the manufactures. If some regulations come out of this, we should have the options to implement them based on our qualifications. I am a leader member with the AMA and they have representatives on the board. We have insurance and rules that are based on the aeromodeling group. We have a voice in what is happening already.

Sorry DJI, I do not agree with you getting involved and I sincerely hope you get a third party person to proceed with this one.

Rich
2015-10-26
Use props
Jennifer 1701
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23501 ft
United States

ajinop Posted at 2015-10-22 23:42
So I have a question if the DOT or FAA change how we fly and let's say dji complies and adds more re ...

This has just been unbelievable! Since I paid $3000 USD for my Inspire, DJI has reduced it's speed, lowered it's top altitude and is now going to participate in helping my government move forward with more knee-jerk regulation.  How is that okay? I am unable to do everything I expected to do with my Inspire but I can't just do a "firmware update" on the money I gave DJI and snatch some of it back. I would be arrested for stealing if I did that.

Safety is important and there are idiots out there but this is not the way to go about improving that. Regulation needs to be much better thought out and DJI needs to stop stealing from us.
2015-10-27
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Why am I seeing this in the inspire forum, it links to the phantom forum and there's a duplicate thread already in the inspire forum with 65 posts on it.
2015-10-27
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

cgl817@gmail.co Posted at 2015-10-24 15:16
You forgot to mention that even with the 333, you still need to get a pilots license.  Seems like  ...

Actually I didn't forget.  Let me again point out I was only giving him the "Shortened Readers Digest version".  I gave him the link to the FAA website if he wanted the ALL the details.

Sort of like if someone asks me "what time is it?"  I don't tell him how to build a clock.

And did you not notice where he said he already had ATR and commercial, single and multi engine?
2015-10-27
Use props
ibdronin
lvl.4

United States

I truly think that DJI is jumping into the lion's den. Why DJI which is located in China feels that need to work with the FAA is baffling to say the least. I don't like it one bit and I paid hard earned cash for this inspire 1 that I love and to think I am being watched over by big brother. We have bigger issues in America! Let's take care of those issues first!
2015-10-27
Use props
cgl817
lvl.3

United States

gil Posted at 2015-10-27 15:18
Actually I didn't forget.  Let me again point out I was only giving him the "Shortened Readers Dig ...

Sorry, I didn't see the part about him already being a Pilot before I posted that.
2015-10-28
Use props
didnthvmathskll
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15092 ft
United States

Dji please don't cower to our tyrannical govt wishes just because of a few idiots!!!!! We paid hard earned money and u have helped many of us achieve something we could only dream of as children. Give us what we paid for!!!
2015-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules