New integrated compass on Phantom 2-v2 - BAD idea
8981 8 2014-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hobiehawkrc
lvl.2
United States

I just received my second Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal setup. This is the latest v2 version with upgraded motors, esc's props etc.
Apparently the new compass is integrated INTO the landing leg unlike earlier versions that was clamp/screwed on. This is a total disaster in my opinion because you cannot replace the landing gear with taller/wider legs (SOMTHING DJI SHOULD HAVE DONE LONG AGO for the Zenmuse equipt Phantoms).

Taller wider legs are pretty much required so the gimbal does not hit the ground during start-up. I mean unless you bring a piece of plywood with you every where you go you cannot take off in grass or un-even surfaces. It must be perfectly flat.

Oh, and if you break that landing leg, what, you now have to buy a compas as well?

I'm sure DJI did this for quicker/easier manufacturing... but without thinking about it too much. If they would address the too short and too narrow of legs issue it would have been just fine to integrate the compass.:@

Rant over, looks like I will be canibalizing my brand new Phantom leg - bogus man....

PhantomV2B_Compass.jpg
2014-12-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeah, I kinda groused about that for a while too.  However, you may soon discover a down side when you try to find a case that will accommodate the tall landing gear.  What I found was these snap on leg extenders from Shapeways that will allow me to keep using the stock legs so I won't have to remount the compass or the CAN-Bus connector on my other Phantom2 and they will raise the Phantom up enough to keep the camera out of the ground.  This will also allow me to fit the Phantoms into most cases by simply snapping off the extenders when I'm ready to pack them away.  And since I have four different Phantoms I don't have to buy 4 different sets, I can just snap them on and off whichever Phantom I'm using.

I'm going to get another set as soon as the designer updates his extender to fit on the newer v3 Phantom that has the compass molded into the leg.

2014-12-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Oops, forgot to add a link to the Phantom click-on Leg Extenders
2014-12-20
Use props
kamikaze
lvl.2

Germany

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-20 16:48

Interesting extension, but the link doesn't work

Happy Landings
2014-12-20
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

The URL is correct. It looks like the whole Shapeways website appears to be undergoing some work.  Did they not have a big notice posted when you tried it?
Shapeways-PleaseHold.gif
2014-12-20
Use props
hobiehawkrc
lvl.2
United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-20 16:40
Yeah, I kinda groused about that for a while too.  However, you may soon discover a down side when y ...

Actually I found a rolling semi-soft case on Costco.com for $25

If fits:
Phantom 2 with tall and wide legs (props off)
Futaba (or stock) transmitter
5 batteries
2 FPV goggles
Mini DVR recorder

It is my grab n go bag!
2014-12-20
Use props
hobiehawkrc
lvl.2
United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-20 16:48

The extenders help so the gimbal does not hit the ground during start up.... but if you do much video looking downward, the wider legs are preferred... hence my complaint/comment about the new integrated compass.
2014-12-26
Use props
hobiehawkrc
lvl.2
United States

Ha! Good short term solution.... I posted up a Q about the old vs the new compass and DJI tech says the old one will work, so I ordered an old style so I can mount on my wide+tall legs... then my next thing will be to add a separate bracket so it is completely independent so I can add retractable landing gear...
2014-12-27
Use props
drone
lvl.4

United States

I use the new compass with extended skids. It's not pretty but the compass is taped on. It works fine, I left the cover on so the compass is protected. You can see the white area on the rear left leg.

2015-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules