Ventuza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 71726 ft
Canada

Ronin M
Really .. what is TRIM ?

All I could find in the manual PDF is:
"Each axis has its own stiffness and trim adjustment."
And I had to type this by hand because the copy function is disabled in the PDF. That's funny coming from knock-off nation.

On the android app I found this:
The Trim adjustment adjusts the preset amount of trim applied to each axis off center. The default setting of 0 degree represents center.
If I only could give a prize for eloquence of this phrase !Beautiful but ... actually says very little about what TRIM is ! An incompetent translator and probably some incompetent technical writer strike again !

Please help me understand this ... it is not funny !

Thanks !
2015-10-23
Use props
Maik B
lvl.1

Poland

If any axis is off center or you specifically want to have any axis off center for a certain value, you trim these - means: you set them up.
Checking and reading on trim for helicopters might help you to understand the subject better, of course I don't wanna compare the Ronin now with a chopper.
2015-10-27
Use props
Ventuza
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks Maik.
So trim seems to be an offset.
Say you have a 5 degree PAN drift to right ( +5 ) you could apply a trim of -5 to bring it to 0.
But my drift on PAN is not constant. Only after 3 min it's 5 degrees to right.
So I start with a centred rig, and apply a -5 trim to it, and that will bring it to -5. Then I full around for 3 minutes, after which the rig will drift itself to centre because the inherent drift is corrected by the TRIM.
Is this how it is supposed to work ?
Wouldn't you rather "zero" it from the start at -5 degrees and end up with a 5 degrees drift to right which is actually a well zeroed camera ( not on paper and numbers but in reality ).
Thanks !
2015-10-28
Use props
Maik B
lvl.1

Poland

Ventuza Posted at 2015-10-28 11:50
Thanks Maik.
So trim seems to be an offset.
Say you have a 5 degree PAN drift to right ( +5 ) you co ...

"Say you have a 5 degree PAN drift to right ( +5 ) you could apply a trim of -5 to bring it to 0."
Well I guess yeah, that's the idea about it.

I understand when you're saying that your drift on PAN is not constant. Exactly this is a known issue which a number of Ronin owners faced. You will find some posts about it in the forum.
First, I also faced the same problem, it was moving few degrees within seconds !...for me it's solved since the latest firmware update. Problem gone.

Second, I think that if the Ronin goes slightly offset after minutes of operating, it might be caused by not perfect balancing, or maybe even can be caused by an uneven floor when the Ronin is on its stand. At least so my experience from the time I am using it.
In real life production I anyway adjust, trim or whatever before each shot - mostly I am simply using the remote to do things needed. Furthermore, I do not have shots longer then maybe 20 seconds. And if shooting, I also operate the Ronin left and right...so it is natural that any slight degree change is here anyway irrelevant.
2015-10-28
Use props
Ventuza
lvl.1
Canada

Maik B Posted at 2015-10-28 05:44
"Say you have a 5 degree PAN drift to right ( +5 ) you could apply a trim of -5 to bring it to 0." ...

Thanks for the replay, I agree on all points. Most shots need not be longer than 30 sec. Probably that's too long.
3-4 degrees I can live with. I come from photography background and framing is a big thing for me. With confidence, I can say that 3 degrees left or right change the character of a photo. 6 degrees it's another story completely. Yes, only on a few photos out of hundreds, but it is my nature.
My balancing is 0 / 0 / 1 and some combination of that. My camera looks like it's on ISS.
My bigger concern, not mention above is of another nature, the TILT is very weak and it bounces. Self calibrated stiffness is only 12, but that's another story. The frustration caused by that probably transpires in my other posts.
Thanks for answering ! Take care, good luck !
2015-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules