Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
some Phantom videos
1254 11 2015-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

New to this hobby and trying to get my feet wet. Practiced a bit to get the hang of flying and then tried some video.
Here are my first real attempts at video. I obviously have a bit to learn when it comes to camera operation and control. Amazing how things can look great in the HUD, but not so much when viewed later. May play with the expo setting to get smoother motion. Most of all I think I will learn to keep my hands off the camera controls as much as possible.

Also need to explore manual camera settings. I shot with contrast/sat/etc turned down, but AWB was on along with auto exposure. As the Phantom moved, lighting conditions changed and captured footage was sometimes difficult to work with. At this point I am concentrating more on flying - when I become comfortable with that aspect I hope to devote more attention to camera work.

Despite the above, I am pretty happy with the results. Any tips or advice are welcome.

Tempest

Home

2015-10-24
Use props
JimW396
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23228 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

Very nice! Beautiful scenery! What part of the country is that?
2015-10-24
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
United States

JimW396 Posted at 2015-10-24 15:09
Very nice! Beautiful scenery! What part of the country is that?

upstate NY - catskill region
2015-10-24
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Beautiful scenery, but very repetitious.  Also, slow your camera movements down.  i.e. panning and tilting up and down
2015-10-24
Use props
nabesarawak
lvl.2

Malaysia

Wonderful..... Thanks for sharing.
2015-10-24
Use props
JimW396
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23228 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

jrm11 Posted at 2015-10-24 17:22
upstate NY - catskill region

Thanks for the information!
2015-10-25
Use props
Woffski
lvl.2
United States

Very nice footage!
2015-10-25
Use props
wavis184
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1810735 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not bad.Many years ago I went camping up there in Tannersville. Check out this video it will help with your settings.
2015-10-25
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
United States

ag0n Posted at 2015-10-24 21:17
Beautiful scenery, but very repetitious.  Also, slow your camera movements down.  i.e. panning and t ...

Yeah, slowing down the movements is the "practice" I alluded to. Things look different on the iPad screen while you are flying/recording. Live, learn and practice.
2015-10-28
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
United States

wavis184@comcas Posted at 2015-10-25 17:42
Not bad.Many years ago I went camping up there in Tannersville. Check out this video it will help wi ...

Thanks.. i have seen this video (and a few others like it) and applied the information.

Guess my problems are:

White Balance. I understand that AWB will cause color balance to change as lighting conditions change. However, when at a fixed setting, the light conditions will still change. Won't that cause color balance to be off in some shots?

Manual Exposure: Would love to do this, but am more concentrating on flying right now. When I am comfortable with some waypoint routes, I will try adjusting exposure manually. I still see problems with maintaining continual shots through changing light conditions. For example, some of the shots in my video face into, away and at an angle to the sun. Seems difficult to make a smooth exposure change to account for those variables. (Aside from setting up each lighting scenario as it's own shot... shoot/stop/recompose/set exposure/repeat).

2015-10-28
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

sometimes keeping the horizon line right in the middle can make your footage even better. Nice video! and great location!  
2015-10-28
Use props
bryn1
lvl.2
United Kingdom

"I still see problems with maintaining continual shots through changing light conditions. For example, some of the shots in my video face into, away and at an angle to the sun. Seems difficult to make a smooth exposure change to account for those variables. (Aside from setting up each lighting scenario as it's own shot... shoot/stop/recompose/set exposure/repeat)."

I am wondering the same as you on this one also interested to know what others do/think etc.
2015-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules