Motor drag
993 7 2015-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blackberrylaneg
lvl.1

United States

Hello all, Im writing about my fairly new p3. I've flown about 30 hours with only minor limb crashed and sucessful restarts after. I flew my p3 before leaving on vacation everthing was fine. Travel and set up for flight and have one motor that starts then stops. On the second attempt to take off, the craft flips over and spins the hubs partially off..
I feel a slight drag on one of the motors, it is free, but there is a notable 'drag'
I did read some posts and tried checking for obstructions in the motor and gently blowing it out with canned air with no success.
Any ideas?
thank you for any replies and feel free to add me
mike

2015-10-24
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha blackberrylaneg,

Are you flying with prop guards?  This has been discussed recently.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-24
Use props
blackberrylaneg
lvl.1

United States

Cetaman Posted at 2015-10-25 01:13
Aloha blackberrylaneg,

Are you flying with prop guards?  This has been discussed recently.

no, no prop guards. but thank you for the reply
mike
2015-10-25
Use props
blackberrylaneg
lvl.1

United States

ok, i know im running this topic into the ground...but is my motor toast if it has more resisitance to spin then the others?..will oil hurt or void the warrenty?
2015-10-25
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha mike,

There are a few posts in this forum dealing with motor drag recently.  When traveling, the P3 is exposed to many orientations that are not normal in drone gravity (upside down).  This causes particles of all types to go where they usually do not go.  A good message for everyone - Monday-morning Quarterback here - is to shake out the P3 and listen before and after you pack the P3 (have the camera guard on).  It should sound the same.  If you live in a sandy area, this is especially important.  

With the props on, make each prop in line with its arm and look carefully at the motor area - and especially the angle of the prop - for each motor as you rotate the P3.  Then rotate each prop 90 degrees and do it again.  Each time do more than one rotation.  This will tell you if there is a seating problem.  That said, strip down the P3 as much as you can and look and listen for irregularities.  Smell each motor after a short run, with the props off, for anything unusual - read burning or heat.  The smell can tell you what type of particle may be jammed or if the motor needs to be remounted.  You said the hubs came half off.  Was the motor with the drag one of those motors?  Take apart, check and re-seat the hub.  

The last thing I can think of is that during travel, the odd orientations the case went through finally caused a loose connection to the motor.  The vibrations of the P3 on start-up caused a disconnect.  When stopped, the connection fell more back in place and was slightly more secure - enough to take-off - but disconnected again upon the further vibrations of flight.  Hence the crash.  The shell can be taken apart and the wires traced down the arm in a search for a loose wire.  Now the work begins.  Sorry this had to happen on your vacation.  Bummer.

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-25
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha mike,

Try what I replied above before you go the oil route.  Vacation does account for a lot of pressure to get in the air.  We are rooting for you!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-25
Use props
Shon.white
lvl.2

United States

you should really contact dji.
2015-10-25
Use props
blackberrylaneg
lvl.1

United States