First Crash
2287 14 2014-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jochasphoto61
lvl.1

United States

Just had my first crash today (P2V+). Fortunately it was from about 7 feet up. Tree branches came out of nowhere . When it hit the ground, the battery popped out but everything else on the drone looks fine. I tried to fly again, but I could not get a GPS lock after several calibration attemps. The Drone will fly and respond to the controller, but no GPS lock or battery level indicator. Now when I turn the radar on, it shows the Drone almost 2000 feet away from me, when the Drone is right at my feet. Any suggestions please.
Thanks

crash.jpg
2014-12-20
Use props
humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Either send it back for repairs, or open it up and look for potential damage. I have had a few crashes and successfully fixed my P2 on each occasion. I have replaced my main board, all esc's and motors and GPS, basically built a new one except for my shell. If you can solder and troubleshoot you should be ok. I am thinking it's most likely your GPS module that has failed or possibly disconnected, they are ceramic encased and pretty fragile.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 400mw 1.3 vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, 2.4 Notch Filter, V2 ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, FrSky X6R, Custom Skids
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960 Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Angled/Extended Mounts, CC3D, FrSky D4R-II, Mobius (almost done!)
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2 goggles
2014-12-20
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm guessing that you may have cracked the GPS antenna; it is ceramic and can easily crack.  It could also be something as simple as a lose wire.

As suggested; open it up and look for things that are lose.  If that doesn't work you can check the GPS antenna, on the top of the GPS board and if it's cracked you can replace it with a better one for about $3 US (includes shipping) or replace the entire module.  I used a 25x25x4mm antenna and get much better reception over the stick 25x25x2mm antenna.

If nothing looks out of place then you may need to send it for repair.  I've heard mixed reviews about repair times; some reasonable, some not so reasonable.
2014-12-20
Use props
jarek33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466696 ft
United States

post your video of the crash, make some better pic of the broken phantom
2014-12-20
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are a couple third party guys who can fix Phantoms....here are the URL's just in case!

http://www.usdronerepair.com/
https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair

http://www.uavrepairshop.com/
2014-12-20
Use props
jochasphoto61
lvl.1

United States

Many of you saw my post yesterday about my crash and gave info and advise on how to get my GPS and Battery display back. I appreciated and thank you for all your post. I opened the drone and saw no loose wires and I did a wiggle and push on each connections. Finally I did another advanced calibration test and still no GPS or Battery info.  Drone down! Drone down!
2014-12-21
Use props
jochasphoto61
lvl.1

United States

@jarek33 Unfortunately when I looked at the video, it stopped just before the crash.
2014-12-21
Use props
momochi
lvl.2

United States

jochasphoto61@g Posted at 2014-12-22 01:17
Many of you saw my post yesterday about my crash and gave info and advise on how to get my GPS and B ...

On the upper half of the body, there is a shielding held down with some sticky stuff. Under that shielding is the GPS receiver. 4 small screws hold it in place. Remove the screws and look at the antenna. It is most likely cracked and broken. You can either replace the entire GPS receiver or just the ceramic antenna if you have soldiering abilities. You WILL have to remove the GPS receiver in order to see the antenna.
2014-12-21
Use props
jarek33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466696 ft
United States

jochasphoto61@g Posted at 2014-12-22 01:19
@jarek33 Unfortunately when I looked at the video, it stopped just before the crash.

Thanks for checking good luck to you, i know it will be up and running for you shortly
2014-12-21
Use props
kamikaze
lvl.2

Germany

jarek33@hotmail Posted at 2014-12-22 01:56
Thanks for checking good luck to you, i know it will be up and running for you shortly

If you are able to install the DJI-DEMO-SDK (https://dev.dji.com/api_doc/android) on your Android device you can look on the MainSystemController (DJIMainControllerSystemState) list item if and how much GPS reception is available.
2014-12-21
Use props
knowonecares
lvl.1
United States

I'm a new Phantom flyer (PV2+), my first 3 flights were short only 200ft high max surrounded by trees in a relatively open spot in a local park, maybe 7 maximum number of satellites to lock onto, compass-calibrated, never any problems with flight and hover and control. Then I did a v3 compass landing gear upgrade as well as the new RC with Gimbal dial. Next flight was a disaster, but, it was in a backyard surrounded by a chain link fence and included several car hauling trailers and a shipping container, so I blamed it on magnetic interference (I had 11 satellites locked, but I think the compass was messed-up by all of the metal, as well as a home-wifi network). So, pilot error, poor pre-flight procedure, now I know about calibrating sticks and IMU's etc, etc, thanks to forums like this, and online videos. Now for my last flight, at a new air field, an actual field that has RC planes and gliders and quads using it daily. I set up a spot about 100yds away from anybody else, my vehicle is about 25ft behind me, I get 11 satellites locked, compass calibrated (I think), steady green flashing lights in back, all batteries nearly full, take off and hover about 10feet up for a good 20 seconds, looking for toilet bowl affect, slight movements left and right, maybe a slight bowl affect??? was not obvious, I rotate the quad in a 360, start to move it back and forth 10ft or so, then I start to bank it left then right about 10ft either way and it starts to continue moving to its right, I correct it to its left and it starts to accelerate toward me a bit, I move left stick up to increase altitude, it goes over me toward my small truck and curves up, I panic and bring it down and it tumbles across the grass and dirt. Nothing broken. Scratch my head in confusion, but blaming it on myself and the compass. So I Calibrate compass: after vertical calibration I get green flashing lights, so I think it's good. Start flight again, 11 satellites, this time up to hover, but it doesn't stay in place, I immediately have to adjust it in all directions, realize I cant fly it and I bring it down, just a slightly hard crash, nothing broken. In my opinion it is a compass calibration issue (I don't know all of the light patterns), the IMU possibly. At home the Assistant software shows the IMU to be good, no calibration needed, all of the numbers are within the posted limits, etc. Next flight I will bring laptop with A-software so I can check it out in the field...And will put a camera pointing at the controller and one pointing at the quad. Maybe I flipped a switch on the RC when I panicked? Maybe I failed to calibrate the compass correctly? Maybe the IMU needed a re-cal after the first crash? Maybe my vehicle caused signal interference? Maybe the other RC planes in the area interrupted my signal? Any insights are appreciated.
2014-12-22
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The price of a replacement GPS module is :-

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/spares ... ion-gps-module.html

Makes for a twitching sphincter.
2014-12-22
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

knowonecares Posted at 2014-12-23 03:34
I'm a new Phantom flyer (PV2+), my first 3 flights were short only 200ft high max surrounded by tree ...

Each time I had strange issues like that I looked down to discover I had accidentally flipped one of the switches and it was now either in ATTI mode or Course Lock / Home Lock mode.  Are you sure you didn't do that?
2014-12-22
Use props
dutch445
lvl.2

United States

double check the connectors where the grey cables come down into the gimbal
from the phantom
i crashed into a tree, and the 4pin connector got broken and wires pulled out,
causing me to not have battery or satellite info on my display.
i just finished replacing that cable, it's a pain in the butt to say the least!
then i got my battery and satellite indicators back on my phone.  
we made an error in another 4 wire cable up inside the phantom during
re assembly that caused it to do some backflips, but i believe we have
that figured out now as i had a very short flight yesterday and everything
looked good,,, at least better. hover wasn't so good,, but,  it was a short
flight just to see if we could.
2014-12-22
Use props
knowonecares
lvl.1
United States

houldsworth1@gm Posted at 2014-12-23 04:24
Each time I had strange issues like that I looked down to discover I had accidentally flipped one  ...

Quite possible, but I didn't check the controller, a bit concerned with the wreck (the switch was in ATTI mode when I got home, but I could have moved it when I put it in the case) I'll try a chesty mount with a GoPro cam next time to show my thumbs in action, and a rubberband on the S1 switch to keep it up, thanks.
2014-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules